Demob Fever

Discussion in 'ARRSEpedia' started by Highlander-Military, Jun 13, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I wonder if any of you might be able to help me out.

One of our managers here (an ex-squadie) has refered to one of our staff as having "Demob Fever" and we couldn't find anything in the ARRSEPedia dictionary explaining what that means.

Anyone feel like enlightening some confused civ's?

2. It means he's generally being slack at work in the knowledge that he will soon be leaving/sent home.

3. I think it is refering to that time when you know that you're off and the company cannot discipline you for being a tit.

You take long lunch breaks, do sod all work and sexually harrass that bird from accounts that puts out at christmas parties (hang on, this sounds like my job).

If you find a better version, why not add it the the Dictionary of the Arrsepedia? Be warned though, once you start, you can't stop :D

4. Yup, that would make sense. Her resignation is in and she's just working her notice.

I'd make some comment about her sexually harrassing the girl from accounts...

But I'd better not :)

5. The definition above is part of it, but it is a well-recognized syndrome, more studied in prisons than anywhere else.
    It's more than just slacking off, but the mind set that happens once you put the paperwork in where you simply cannot think about anything other than the approaching release - no matter how you thought you were going to feel about leaving prior to that point. It's seriously mind-bending and is so severe for some folks that prisoners will try to escape days before their scheduled release becaue they just can't stand it any more. I'm sure if you questioned some service shrinks they probably could say the same about the service people - there must be some %age that goes AWOL a short and senseless period before they get out. And the syndrome applies equally to those who were dedicated to the job prior to that, not just to slacker types.

6. This is happening as I write as I retire in May. I have a days to do chart on the office wall and training up my replacement. Trying not to sound smug about retiring and informing the younger members of staff that they will have to work till they are seventy. Meetings scheduled have to give them a miss as the matters only come into effect after I leave . Ahh life is good

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

"AKA Demob-happy," said the man with an hour or so over six working days left. But I'm not counting.

• Like Like x 1
  8. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

AKA a Chuff Chart.

9. It could also refer to the fact that an awful lot of ex Service people find it incredibly hard to adjust to Civilian life.

10. Short!

• Like Like x 1
  11. Similar thing in our mob, leading to a condition known as NAAFI (pronounced narfy) - No Ambition And Fuckall Interest.

• Like Like x 1
  12. When I was at Army HQ the term used was FOIP (**** Off, I'm Posted)