Demjanjuk Found Guilty By German Court

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Mr_Fingerz, May 12, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

2. I beg to differ, justice has not really been done. Demjanjuk has been convicted, but just how long will he do inside before he either croaks or is released due to poor health? He deserves a very long custodial which he will never serve.

3. Mr_Fingerz

I take your point. But, as this is the verdict of a German Court I feel that we ought to accord some significance to that verdict.

4. 5 years in jail.....the fella looks like he should be dead now....I give him 6 months

5. Mr_Fingerz

and eternity in hell.

6. When you consider the number of Nazis who held political office post WW2, over 70 in the parliament of Hessen alone (110 seats) and that those Nazis officials and civil servants who were sacked by the allies in 1945 for being considered to be politically and idealogically dangerous, all got their jobs back in 1954 under the new West German Bundesrepublik and that this amounted to 80% of all the officials originally employed in "Gross Deutscher Reich" all being found work in a much smaller country i.e. shoehorned into crammed townhalls etc..

Well I'd say he was just a patsy, a bad patsy, but none the less.

7. I think as cernunnos pointed out many who were guilty of much more got away scot-free.
    They have been after Demjanjuk since the early 80's, trying him as Ivan the Terrible then finding out it was someone else. Then trying him for another crime.

I think it was a case of pin the tail on the donkey, how guilty the donkey was I'm not sure we will ever know.

8. I'm split on this - he claims to have volunteered to get out of the POW cage, and considering they were as good as a death sentence for the majority of the poor bastards who went into them I'd understand a decision made out of self preservation. If he was an enthusiastic SS volunteer then he deserves everything he gets, if he volunteered to serve the German military and ended up with the choice of being put against a wall/going back in the cage or guarding someone else's cage then I wouldn't be quite as quick to condemn him as evil.

9. According to the evening news he is out of gaol pending appeal, and will regardless of the result almost certainly never go back inside. It does seem like this is something of a show trial, and that Demjanjuk has been unlucky. As Cernunnos says there were plenty of Nazis who either got off lightly or even scot free and ended up in positions of power and influence. The East Germans were a bit more thorough in this respect, as late as the early 70s one Nazi who thought that he had got away with it was denounced by his estranged wife. He was shot.

10. The German media picked up on my theme last night. They showed a German judge who signed over 200 death sentences under the NSDAP regime. He was never tried for his involvement and enjoyed his highly paid retirement. The only German judge who might have dangled for the amusement of Albert Pierpoint was Roland Freisler. He was taken out by an American bomb. Sixteen Nazi judges and public prosecutors were tried at Nuremburg. 12 were convicted. By 1956 all were exhonerated and enjoying fat pensions and back pay.

These people passed death sentences for petty stuff, on those who qualified for a court case.

Many received a "sonderbehandlung." Torture and execution without a trial.

11. "I was only acting under orders"!

12. dunno,he might out live that **** bruce forsyth.

13. Correct me if I'm wrong but - is this not the equivalent of if in say 50 years time, and the war on Iraq was declared illegal, then an average Joe squaddie was found guilty of war crimes simply because he was there?

14. No more than every German soldier was charged for participating in Germany's illegal wars of aggression. A guard at Abu Grhaib during the prisoner abuses there is probably a better parallel.