Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Demise of the city centre

In a further "plan" to destroy our town's centre two, yes two, out-of-town retail parks are planned. One at a site where there is currently a very large department store that already attracts lots of people, including bus loads of day-trippers, and the plan is to re-purpose the garden centre for the new shop units. The other proposed site is currently a very muddy field where a new junction to the A1 for the town's by-pass is being built .

Given the last year, that may be a very bad idea......

Did not know that. Blimey.
Any cash based shop can be involved in money laundering. If they empty they are generally amatuers (although when i was in Naples, it was because no one cared if empty shops are cleaning money) professionals crims will generally encourage real customers even if they dont make any profit on them, because its easier to hide a grands worth of dirty money with 5 grand of clean money than it is to hide a grands worth of dirty money on its own.
Taxis, window cleaners, hand car wash etc are all the type of things criminals like to own.

For a full blown, Grade 1, epic f**k up in full view try Nottingham Council

Amazingly the ability to surcharge Councillors and recover losses caused by misconduct or unlawful expenditure was removed under Bliar. Was this because he knew just how utterly incompetent Labour Councillors were ?

Amazingly the ability to surcharge Councillors and recover losses caused by misconduct or unlawful expenditure was removed under Bliar. Was this because he knew just how utterly incompetent Labour Councillors were ?
Isnt that where Bugsy lives? Does anyone care?

It's the dishonesty of the BBC I dislike. The money has come from Nottingham's council taxpayers, not the council.

Same here, but the council owns a very significant number of the town centre buildings as well as setting the rates.
Perfect storm of rapacious council (Labour for living memory of course) ramping up rates, applying rent increases by multiplying by whole numbers and a militant cyclist being put in charge of traffic and parking screwing the roads and removing all the short term free parking for a couple of miles from the town centre.
Hugely predictable result - the town is dead where it used to be busy.

Leicester by any chance? If so, I work for the council and am, even after 18 months, shocked daily by the incompetence and financial drive. That said, there are a lot of people who join the council with the ideostic view of "making a difference". I'm not one of them, I wanted a guaranteed wage on leaving the mob.

We live in a semi rural area, with open country behind us, on the south staffs-west midlands border, Cannock chase is but a few miles away. About 300yds from us, further along the road, is the start of a 500 acre farmers field, the first of many that stretch for miles. last year it was proposed to build 1400 homes on the field, with another 15,000 houses to be built on the adjoining fields, stretching as far south as north Birmingham, about 15 miles due south of us. No mention of schools, shops, medical centres, etc. The impact on the local community's will be enormous and destructive.

This has all come about over the years, beacause in part, the open door policy of immigration has increased the population to the point, that the normal slow population expansion, that councils and city planners could legislate for, has exploded far faster than finances and the construction sector can cope with, allied to this government complicacy, and sheer bloody mindedness, kow- towing to EU directives, and the dam stupid current human rights legislation.

Consequently, the green field sites, farmers fields, will now within the next 20 years be concreted over, and small rural roads will become major commuter routes, with all the congestion and problems that comes with it.

This country is full, it cannot sustain any more incomers. We, that is local councils, infrastructure, gas, electric, water, medical, welfare services, food distribution, and more importantly, jobs, cannot cope.

The dystopian future, as depicted in such films as blade runner, and soylent green, that is the total break down of social cohesion, and overcrowding, rampart slums and massive welfare problems will materialise, unless barriers are invoked, and nill immigration is implemented. ( sterilising the baby producing slag chavs would be a good start, as would the Chinese method, one baby only, any more and you get hammered, drastic I know)

Its a bleak glimpse into a possible future, and it all starts will the loss of food producing farmers fields.
Nonsense. This country hasn’t built enough houses for many years, now we have to play catch up. For many years local councils have hidden behind the Town and Country Planning Act of 1947. Along with the promise of your house increasing in value year on year and NIMBYism, it’s kept governments in power for years.
Immigrants, pshaw. My grandad was one. And his many offspring are here to stay, thanks. What we are facing is a baby boom with an ageing population.
Baby boom: I recently looked (casually, tbf) into becoming a driving instructor. There are lots of people reaching adulthood in the next five years, hence the drive for instructors (if you will pardon the pun).
Old people? Loads of them. I think you may be one (no offence intended).
I agree with your last sentence. The “garden village” proposed near me (on arable land) has a provision for a handful of retirement homes. About 1%. That’s it. And this links me back to the original subject. The complete lack of vision of local authorities. They can react to planning applications and precious little else. In some way, that’s not a bad thing, but it leaves them very vulnerable to complacency.

Thank you, obviously I missed the "Free the Clay Cross Five" campaign. I thought coouncillors still had similar liabilities to Directors, Trustees etc..