Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Demise of the city centre

Money cleaning aka money laundering, account for a lot of those nail bars/small 'independent' Jewelers/internet cafe's and most other shops you see spring up with hardly any customers

Turkish barbers! 6 have sprung up in our nearest market town that got by with 2 proper barbers since the war.

Youngsters are savvy on line, no profit in trying to sell in shops to them.
Everyone now ( even the elderly) has a smartphone , if maybe an old one.
there is money to be made in upgrade packages but those punters can only be snared after touching the goods and having a package sold to them face to face.Not to mention poaching users of different service providers.

Wrong sort of Phone shop. We're talking one that seems to be stocked with 600 copies of the same damn case, and very little hardware.

Money laundering. They are the new tanning salons...
Ah-ha! I'd figured it was something disreputable. I'd speculated it was selling something other than phones such as drugs, but I hadn't considered money laundering.

On one street we've got six male barbers, three nail bars and a female barbers. Oh and a shop selling drug paraphernalia.

They should have tried harder

Some comedian said that about Coventry. However, looking at old photographs the council had started demolishing the historic centre before the war. Jerry just gave a helping hand. The cty council then and now want the plece to look like Vladivostok.

There's two of these 'garden villages' planned for the outskirts of our town - one to the north and one to the south where the much delayed (40 years and counting) town by-pass is being built. The town centre is already a scene of desolation with more empty shops than occupied. However, there are more than enough hairdressers, charity shops and takeaway outlets that you can shake a stick at and there's thousands of new homes "planned" around the town but there's no infrastructure to support them. The county's highways department ruined the town centre with their weird traffic schemes that killed many businesses because folk went to other towns in the area because it was easier than trying to negotiate the chaos of the town centre. And all the while, the office-dwelling lard-arses in council offices screwed peoples lives whilst wasting public money on futile schemes that didn't work.
A garden village sounds very nice in the proposal stages doesn't it but I wonder how some of them will turn out? A few conifers on a roundabout or some Oxeye Daisies on the cuttings beside the dual carriageway perhaps? Or does it mean some decent sized gardens and good spaces between each house? Does anyone really know?

Money cleaning aka money laundering, account for a lot of those nail bars/small 'independent' Jewelers/internet cafe's and most other shops you see spring up with hardly any customers
As others have said, money laundering scams. See also kebab shops and indian takeaways which also provide a front for dealing.

Turkish barbers! 6 have sprung up in our nearest market town that got by with 2 proper barbers since the war.

Yup, here too. They're breeding like (checks it's not CA) feckn rabbits. Every other shop seems to be a barber/hairdresser now - plus the nail bars.

It could get entertaining in town soon, a Kurd has taken over the barber shop which used to be my regular port of call at hair cut time. When I mentioned all the new Turkish barber shops in town the guy proudly proclaimed he is a Kurd and used some words word that I think were less than complimentary about the others.

We have a couple of places around here where that’s happening.

one place was a car show room albeit quite a small place. Just three walls and a frontage that could be opened right up. You could get maybe five cars max in the showroom and another five outside. The guy went bust and it stood empty for a couple of years.

Someone then came along and turned it into a plush looking coffee bar that looked pretty ok.

The only thing was that the cliental using it were mostly not local and the majority of them were slightly gangster looking in the sense that they looked a bit rough and ready and didn’t seem to hold down regular hours in a job anywhere and yet, they could afford the prices the coffee bar charged.

Oh and it quickly became common knowledge that the new owners were Albanian.

There was also at least one gun being held on the premises. This was verified by a trustworthy source and was reported to the police on the QT. There has been at least one major fight in the place when a large group of people turned up and it instantly went viral with the punchup spilling out onto the street pavement.

The same people have now brought a local pub that was on it’s last legs and trade there seems to be picking up with a crowd of people similar in appearances to those using the coffee bar propping up the bar and sitting around the tables.

The price of the beer etc has shot up as well despite the pub appearing ready to call it a day just a couple of months ago. The new clientele obviously have money to spend in what is a mediocre setting because unlike the coffee bar up the road, very little money has been spent on the pub.

The local word is that it’s money laundering. I’m told that the Albanians are quite big in East London in drugs etc and they need somewhere to clean the proceeds.

I understandably haven’t a clue what the police are doing but presumably they have an eye on the place because I know for a fact that the gun on the premises was reported to the police intelligence organisation some time ago now.

We have a couple of places around here where that’s happening.

one place was a car show room albeit quite a small place. Just three walls and a frontage that could be opened right up. You could get maybe five cars max in the showroom and another five outside. The guy went bust and it stood empty for a couple of years.

Someone then came along and turned it into a plush looking coffee bar that looked pretty ok.

The only thing was that the cliental using it were mostly not local and the majority of them were slightly gangster looking in the sense that they looked a bit rough and ready and didn’t seem to hold down regular hours in a job anywhere and yet, they could afford the prices the coffee bar charged.

Oh and it quickly became common knowledge that the new owners were Albanian.

There was also at least one gun being held on the premises. This was verified by a trustworthy source and was reported to the police on the QT. There has been at least one major fight in the place when a large group of people turned up and it instantly went viral with the punchup spilling out onto the street pavement.

The same people have now brought a local pub that was on it’s last legs and trade there seems to be picking up with a crowd of people similar in appearances to those using the coffee bar propping up the bar and sitting around the tables.

The price of the beer etc has shot up as well despite the pub appearing ready to call it a day just a couple of months ago. The new clientele obviously have money to spend in what is a mediocre setting because unlike the coffee bar up the road, very little money has been spent on the pub.

The local word is that it’s money laundering. I’m told that the Albanians are quite big in East London in drugs etc and they need somewhere to clean the proceeds.

I understandably haven’t a clue what the police are doing but presumably they have an eye on the place because I know for a fact that the gun on the premises was reported to the police intelligence organisation some time ago now.

Drug/people smuggling is massive in East London run by , yep, you got it.

We all watch those US Cops movies where the highest ranking Bods are mixed up in it , never happen in the UK of course.

It has very few advantages over online - immediacy of purchase, try before you buy), but these will be eroded away with drone delivery (Milton Keynes now has wheeled drone delivery services to the door from the Co-op, of all people!).
Presumably these wheeled drones go along the footpaths, not the roads? I'm probably asking the wrong person but don't they ever get their 'loads' pinched or get stolen, drone and all?

In a further "plan" to destroy our town's centre two, yes two, out-of-town retail parks are planned. One at a site where there is currently a very large department store that already attracts lots of people, including bus loads of day-trippers, and the plan is to re-purpose the garden centre for the new shop units. The other proposed site is currently a very muddy field where a new junction to the A1 for the town's by-pass is being built .

I believe empty nail bars ect...

employ on the min hours to get income support, which help with rent ect.... this also provides provide child benefit for children who may still be abroad ?

As long as long there is an NI no. bank a/c & address for an employee who really knows whether that EU citizen has ever set foot in the UK ?

Wrong sort of Phone shop. We're talking one that seems to be stocked with 600 copies of the same damn case, and very little hardware.

Ah-ha! I'd figured it was something disreputable. I'd speculated it was selling something other than phones such as drugs, but I hadn't considered money laundering.

On one street we've got six male barbers, three nail bars and a female barbers. Oh and a shop selling drug paraphernalia.
London Road Carlisle ?

Presumably these wheeled drones go along the footpaths, not the roads? I'm probably asking the wrong person but don't they ever get their 'loads' pinched or get stolen, drone and all?
Milton Keynes is fairly unique in so far as the public footpaths have been kept away from the roads (the main reason you’ll see all this piloting of new technology there. These “red ways” are quite nice ce in some places, but you still ge the dodgy areas. As far as pinching these things: Their every move is tracked online (so customers can get real time delivery information) and I doubt the scrotes would have much fun with them apart from hoying them into a nearby stream or lake (of which there are many). It’ll be a very different story in the vast majority of other towns and cities, where they’ll stand a good chance of being run over etc. Just wait until the airborne drone service takes off.... yes, that was deliberate. Arf! Arf!