Demise of the city centre

giatttt

War Hero
Nothing against charity shops, but they don’t provide paid employment to people, it’s voluntary work.
Doesn’t help the job market in the town.
They don't help all sorts of things, they are the death knell for second hand bookshops as they have virtually no overheads and get almost all of their stock gratis. Their ability to retail items other than donations coupled with their lack of rates and volunteer staff allow them to undercut the rates and tax paying shops on either side.

Ultimately you end up with something like Paisley high street which was a row of charity shops who found that without any "real" shops to attract shoppers they couldn't cover the cost of heating and lighting. In many ways Paisley is a textbook example of the municipal elders taking things for granted, at one time the place was literally awash with money. Now many of its outstanding building have disappeared and the breathtaking Coates Church is at risk [the minister's toilet is the most staggering example of copper plumbing artistry and decorative porcelain].

A mere 15 minute train ride to Glasgow central it used to boast umpteen nightclubs and now even its sawdust pubs are empty. The council have been variously lazy, unimaginative, and self-serving, they have most recently spent a fortune on a gilded palace for their offices. Their ideas on business development are "interesting" to say the least.

Polish women run the gaff. They do the accounts, and employ the staff. They are independent.
Polish men are out earning well away from their womenfolk. They are independent.
Generally works OK.

I’m guessing the ME types are running the businesses, though I am surmising but given that i’ve seen them ordering the staff around I think it’s a reasonable guess. Whilst some of Polish female staff are supervising most are shelf stacking and working behind the deli counter.

And very popular these shops are too with the Eastern European’s, bit of a taste of home for them, even for the burly blokes coming in to do the shopping.

Awol

LE
I’m guessing the ME types are running the businesses, though I am surmising but given that i’ve seen them ordering the staff around I think it’s a reasonable guess. Whilst some of Polish female staff are supervising most are shelf stacking and working behind the deli counter.

And very popular these shops are too with the Eastern European’s, bit of a taste of home for them, even for the burly blokes coming in to do the shopping.
If there was say one barber servicing a small town for decades, then it is unlikely that the populace are suddenly demanding four more barbers.

The same with nail bars, no one had even heard of them a couple of years ago, let alone needed one and now they outnumber even the barbers. I dispute the fact that any single nail bar can get anywhere close to breaking even by offering five quid nail painting services especially as they are competing with another four nail bars in the same small town.

It’s money laundering, plain and simple. Criminal gangs need to legitimise the cash they earn and the simplest way is to open a barbershop/nail bar and pretend they are taking £2000 a day in cash.

Talking to two of the guys that I know who run barbers, and have for years, they take cash because the surcharges they face from the companies which enable cashless eat away too much profit from already thin business.
Yes of course that's the reason . nothing to do with pocketing every 4th tenner then obviously.

If there was say one barber servicing a small town for decades, then it is unlikely that the populace are suddenly demanding four more barbers.

The same with nail bars, no one had even heard of them a couple of years ago, let alone needed one and now they outnumber even the barbers. I dispute the fact that any single nail bar can get anywhere close to breaking even by offering five quid nail painting services especially as they are competing with another four nail bars in the same small town.

It’s money laundering, plain and simple. Criminal gangs need to legitimise the cash they earn and the simplest way is to open a barbershop/nail bar and pretend they are taking £2000 a day in cash.
Or twatoo shops .

giatttt

War Hero
Or twatoo shops .
Oooh me sir - I know something about this although I am tat free. Folks pay insane amounts of money to have things scribbled on their flesh, some (IMHO a few) artists do actually provide some incredible pieces of genuine art and the council rake in a hefty rates bill.

The hygiene requirements, licensing fees, spot checks by council officials, capital costs, and wage bill says it's not Larry the launderer's idea of lush. Tanning salons were great because spot checks had to obey rules about access to naked bods so they could pretend the beds were in use 24x7. Nail bars have virtually zero capital requirements and can be staffed by a few airheads* giving staff discounts to their equally vacuous friends whilst appearing busy.

* Or more realistically some Vietnamese biding their time between harvesting their skunk plants.

Mbongwe

Old-Salt

Interesting. Probably a lot easier than the old (alleged) favourite of laundering money through a pub, which involves personal licences, perishable goods needing re-stocking, food hygiene checks, accounts with breweries and whatnot...

It's astounding just how many of these barbershops and nail bars populate many London high streets, usually not a customer in sight... And the fact few of these "enterprises" seem to run any promotional activities or local marketing to get customers!

Oooh me sir - I know something about this although I am tat free. Folks pay insane amounts of money to have things scribbled on their flesh, some (IMHO a few) artists do actually provide some incredible pieces of genuine art and the council rake in a hefty rates bill.

The hygiene requirements, licensing fees, spot checks by council officials, capital costs, and wage bill says it's not Larry the launderer's idea of lush. Tanning salons were great because spot checks had to obey rules about access to naked bods so they could pretend the beds were in use 24x7. Nail bars have virtually zero capital requirements and can be staffed by a few airheads* giving staff discounts to their equally vacuous friends whilst appearing busy.

* Or more realistically some Vietnamese biding their time between harvesting their skunk plants.
And fooling about with paying fools

It’s more likely that your mates are simply not declaring their entire income for tax purposes and pocketing a lot of the cash.

There are several takeaways in my local high street and if I jump in the car and go and pick one up, they all want cash or prefer cash. One in particular doesn’t do a card at all and another expresses surprise and then always has to search for the card machine if you want to pay by card.

However if you order and pay online for a delivery through just eat or their own website service etc, they all take online payments.

It seems pretty obvious to me what’s going on!

Card payment services are much more competitive these days. I had two for my company. One was a machine that I could use anywhere in the country. The other one was an online gateway for our website.

The two services cost us about £140 a month although the PCI was free. Paymentsense were the providers.

We’ve discontinued all that because at the moment we are organising a new website for the picture framing stuff.

I’m pretty confident that there are now deals out there that will cost us a fraction of what we were previously paying.

Mini cab drivers around here now commonly take card payments on a machine you can buy on the internet for around £80 or so. One version of it even prints out receipts.
We use Square. Wireless contactless card reader which connects to a phone or iPad by Bluetooth. The reader costs £16 and fees are 1.75% for an in person charge. Receipt is texted / emailed to the customer if they wish, or you can get a printer.

Any genuine business that doesn’t take cards is turning away a lot of business these days as more and more people are using Apple / Google Pay and never carry cash. Just include the card fee in your pricing and make a profit on all your cash purchasers.

The only reason businesses are cash only these days is because they are evading tax.

hoofie

Clanker
They don't help all sorts of things, they are the death knell for second hand bookshops as they have virtually no overheads and get almost all of their stock gratis. Their ability to retail items other than donations coupled with their lack of rates and volunteer staff allow them to undercut the rates and tax paying shops on either side.

Ultimately you end up with something like Paisley high street which was a row of charity shops who found that without any "real" shops to attract shoppers they couldn't cover the cost of heating and lighting. In many ways Paisley is a textbook example of the municipal elders taking things for granted, at one time the place was literally awash with money. Now many of its outstanding building have disappeared and the breathtaking Coates Church is at risk [the minister's toilet is the most staggering example of copper plumbing artistry and decorative porcelain].

A mere 15 minute train ride to Glasgow central it used to boast umpteen nightclubs and now even its sawdust pubs are empty. The council have been variously lazy, unimaginative, and self-serving, they have most recently spent a fortune on a gilded palace for their offices. Their ideas on business development are "interesting" to say the least.
I went to Uni in Paisley in the late 80s and it was absolutely buzzing. Great pubs and one or two great clubs. Went back a couple of years and was stunned at how much it had fallen apart. The turning of the High Street into a pedestrian precinct was a stunningly stupid move.

Cyberhacker

War Hero
Many local councils seem to operate on having 100 percent of nothing of a perceived bigger figure than 100 percent of all of a smaller figure.
True... like HMRC keep going on about the tax gap - the difference between what they think they should be getting, and what they are getting.

Then bemoaning that people are avoiding (ie using perfectly legal mechanisms) tax.

The local pot dealers run out of a new/fail/new/ fail/ new .....cont tattoo parlor.

Exactly, so apart from them doing their bit for charity, there’s no financial gain with them.
Not paying business tax maybe???

We use Square. Wireless contactless card reader which connects to a phone or iPad by Bluetooth. The reader costs £16 and fees are 1.75% for an in person charge. Receipt is texted / emailed to the customer if they wish, or you can get a printer.

Any genuine business that doesn’t take cards is turning away a lot of business these days as more and more people are using Apple / Google Pay and never carry cash. Just include the card fee in your pricing and make a profit on all your cash purchasers.

The only reason businesses are cash only these days is because they are evading tax.

The last time I went to the cashpoint to get out $200 was March 2020, I still have $130 of that in my wallet. I even noticed myself using the card to buy something for $2.99 the other day........pathetic, but no paper money, no loose change rattling around, very convenient.

To add to that; my old wallet with the $130 sits on the kitchen counter as when covid kicked off I did not want to create a petri dish in my pocket and bought myself a minimalist wallet that slots into my front pocket. I thought I would not be able to live without the big wallet, wish I had binned it years ago.

One of these for around $12.00, bright orange so that I know where it is.

iu

Latest Threads