Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Demise of the city centre

TamH70

MIA
Buy a hair-trimmer on Amazon. Once-only expenditure, years of hair-cutting enjoyment. You can even hire it out or charge to do other peoples' hair.
I got mine soon after the Lockdown Barnets thread opened up here. At Tesco's though, not Amazon. Bloody good value - at Paisley prices for haircuts, it's paid for itself at least twice.

How am I supposed to deposit cash without High Street banking?
Since most shops have used COVID as an excuse not to touch the stuff I doubt that will be a problem for long either. I’ve probably spent less than £100 in hard cash since March 2020.

DarkBrig

War Hero
Re Post offices I just discovered the other day that my local small post office I can withdraw, deposit or bank cheques all from or to my account almost instantly. Now I don't have to drive around aimlessly looking for a RBS anymore it's all right there 100 yards from my house. I don't know whether the demise of "normal" banking it's a good thing or not (zero sympathy for bankers now losing their jobs who have lived it up for years) but it works for me.

The_Duke

LE
The only bankers losing their jobs will be the relatively low paid high street staff. They are normal people, living normal lives. They aren’t the “big bonus, flash suits” types people despise.

They work elsewhere, and wouldn’t dirty their hands with your transactional level banking.

Basically people were parking and using a bike or walking in...so the busses eere not getting used. At Babarham Road you could park for free, walk to Addenbrookes for your appt and avoid a whopping charge at Addenbrookes.
Could you also get a bus from the P&R to the hospital?

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
Could you also get a bus from the P&R to the hospital?
I think a point is that there seems to be a determination to make people pay.

People using the P&R have achieved the scheme's professed aim: reducing congestion and pollution in the city centre. That should be the end of it but no; there's revenue to be screwed out of it. And, the hospital is 'losing' income.

DarkBrig

War Hero
The only bankers losing their jobs will be the relatively low paid high street staff. They are normal people, living normal lives. They aren’t the “big bonus, flash suits” types people despise.

They work elsewhere, and wouldn’t dirty their hands with your transactional level banking.
To clarify Zero sympathy for the big fat cat bankers who can't claim any money because they have fiddled their tax for years and haven't got any proof of earnings. Unfortunately for the high street staff whilst I have nothing but sympathy it was inevitable, most jobs are under threat I see they now have a bricklaying machine that does the job of a bricklaying crew, getting Robots to do all our work for us is not going to be the utopia we all thought it was going to be.

To clarify Zero sympathy for the big fat cat bankers who can't claim any money because they have fiddled their tax for years and haven't got any proof of earnings. Unfortunately for the high street staff whilst I have nothing but sympathy it was inevitable, most jobs are under threat I see they now have a bricklaying machine that does the job of a bricklaying crew, getting Robots to do all our work for us is not going to be the utopia we all thought it was going to be.
I doubt the big fat cat bankers are going to bother getting out of bed for state money, it's a pittance for them.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
Yes, but it gives lie to the assertion that mass inward migration is the only solution.

DarkBrig

War Hero
I doubt the big fat cat bankers are going to bother getting out of bed for state money, it's a pittance for them.
Point taken, although it would be nice to imagine them scrabbling around behind the sofa for any dropped coins.

anglo

LE
Not as good as they make out, you still need a team of blokes to run it,
no good for short runs or corners and the pointing needs tidying

Since most shops have used COVID as an excuse not to touch the stuff I doubt that will be a problem for long either. I’ve probably spent less than £100 in hard cash since March 2020.
Down here in rural Wiltshire - I decided to get a Fish Supper last week - queued up outside the Chippy in Amesbury (letting in 2 at a time max). When I got inside, there was a sign on the counter saying “Cards not accepted - Cash only.”
I had to come back out, pay a visit to the nearby cash point and rejoin the queue! Only in Wiltshire!

Latest Threads