Delivery of ICSC(L)

Because the chain of command has failed to brief this down adequately where I work, I assume the same applies elsewhere - nithing really ground breaking, but worth posting.

FUTURE DELIVERY OF THE INITIAL COMMAND AND STAFF COURSE (LAND) (ICSC(L))

1. I am writing on behalf of AG to inform you of the recent ROCC Programme Board (PB) decision on the future delivery of ICSC(L); the new delivery method will start from ICSC(L) 3 in 2006. I would ask you to disseminate the content of this letter widely within your area of responsibility.

2. To remind you, the aim of ICSC(L) is to prepare majors for appointments in sub unit command and on the staff up to and including lieutenant colonel by developing their command, analytical and communications skills and technical understanding of military capabilities in the context of Land component operations and management within Defence. ICSC(L) is generally viewed as the Centre of Gravity for ROCC and provides a high level of staff and command training to all direct entry majors following selection on the Beige List.

3. The intent for a single course was developed by the Defence Academy with the delivery of a pilot course for 200+ students (ICSC(L) 1) from September 2004 to May 2005 and an initial large course of 400+ (ICSC(L) 2) from September 2005 to May 2006. The experience gained from running the pilot course and planning ICSC(L) 2 exposed the course programming/delivery challenges of doing this on a permanent basis. In November 2004, DAG directed a review of ICSC(L).

4. A project team led by DITrg(A) conducted the Review, the aim of which was to review ICSC(L) development and delivery within the overall context of ROCC, Officer Career Development (OCD) and the Army’s requirement. The endstate was a revalidation of the ICSC(L) requirement, Training Objectives (TOs) and planning assumptions and endorsement by the ROCC PB of the optimum delivery means for ICSC(L) within the constraints of time, space and resources. The project team reported regularly to the 2* ICSC(L) Executive Group chaired by DAG and presented its final report to the ROCC PB (chaired by AG) on 13 May 2005.

5. The ROCC PB considered a number of delivery options and agreed unanimously on a 2 course overlapping option. It offered the best solution in terms of course content and delivery, within the most efficient and effective use of Defence Academy staff and facilities. It also met with the principles of the Career Management of Officers (CMO), especially in terms of maintaining fairness and parity. The decision taken by the ROCC PB means that:

a. ICSC(L) 3 will be delivered in 2 overlapping courses of 30 weeks for approximately 190 Army students on each course. Identical Employment Training (ET) packages will follow each course. Course (a) will run from September 2006 to April 2007. Course (b) will run from January to August 07.

b. Training Margin cover for ET post ICSC(L) will be confined to Technical and Simulation ET only. All other ET manning cover for ICSC(L) graduates will be borne by the gaining employer. There will be no Training Margin cover for ET for ‘returning’ officers prior to subsequent Grade 2 appointments.

6. All those officers selected for promotion to major on Beige List 06, will have the opportunity to run for all the available jobs at the ICSC(L) Initial Grade 2 Selection Board in May 06 following the Formal Career Review process. The appointment each officer is selected for will dictate which course the officer will attend. This new means of delivery will offer more flexibility in terms of posting windows and attendance on ET for subsequent officers. The output from ICSC(L) including ET will spread from April to October, with the bulk of officers moving from early May to mid-August each year. It also allows more freedom of movement for the Defence Academy in delivering the course. A schematic, which demonstrates the changes within a career management context, is attached.

7. In addition, the Programme Board sanctioned a separate DITrg(A) study into Command and Staff training for Late Entry (LE) officers. During the review process it became clear that the number of LE officers employed at staff and in command appointments (demand) outstripped ICSC(L) throughput (supply). It is right therefore, that DITrg(A) look more closely at delivery options for our LE officers. I do not wish to pre-judge the findings of this review and any change to current arrangements for LE officers, would not be made until at least ICSC(L) 4 in 2007.

8. In summary, for sound resource and programming reasons, there is no longer an aspiration to run ICSC(L) as a single course after ICSC(L) 2. From ICSC(L) 3, the course will be delivered in 2 overlapping courses of 30 weeks, each followed by identical ET packages. Training margin cover has been retained post ICSC(L) for the longer Technical and Simulation courses only. I welcome the outcome of this review, which provides more flexibility in officer throughput and turnover, whilst maintaining fairness and the delivery of a high quality course by the Defence Academy. Please ensure that this message is widely disseminated, especially to the captain community, most of whom will attend ICSC(L) in the future.

There will be no Training Margin cover for ET for ‘returning’ officers prior to subsequent Grade 2 appointments...
Interesting. It infers that 'returners' will need to use their pre-existing training from their initial job (if they are going back into the same stream - something that the new system is designed to prevent) or will have to use their notes from ICSC(L) - when they were asleep in every lesson - approximately 5 years previously!

Hmmm...

Darth_Doctrinus said:
There will be no Training Margin cover for ET for ‘returning’ officers prior to subsequent Grade 2 appointments...
Interesting. It infers that 'returners' will need to use their pre-existing training from their initial job (if they are going back into the same stream - something that the new system is designed to prevent) or will have to use their notes from ICSC(L) - when they were asleep in every lesson - approximately 5 years previously!

Hmmm...
Or does it mean that the 'Training Margin' aka 'gap' is met by your new employer? - so that'll be good for people who need long ET prior to a subsequent Technical job! Hlaf of yoru first year in opst spent on a course.

Awesome. So ICSC(L) 2 runs from Sep 05 to May 06 and ICSC(L) 3 [Part 1] will run from Sep 06 to Apr 07.

That sounds like Majors on the current course don't need to attend one month's worth of ICSC(L) 2, which is clearly too long.

I pick Febuary. I will not be in work throughout Feb. In fact, I am going to go skiing. Any problems?

No problems whatsoever. Can i join you, Feb doesn't look that good. Although Georgia may be interesting.

This is brilliant!.

We could do the same with all career courses (CC) in the first year (FY) of joining up (JU). To that end, we could get the soldiers to do overlapping courses (OCs) in the first six months after basic training (BT) and if successful (IS) could be an SNCO by year 2. LE officers would be selected from the successful students (SS) and thus immediately solve the recruiting gap (RG) avoiding any reduction in soldier excitement. (AARSE).

Who sits on these evaluation boards and then comes up with this cr*p?:.... "The endstate was a revalidation of the ICSC(L) requirement, Training Objectives (TOs) and planning assumptions and endorsement by the ROCC PB of the optimum delivery means for ICSC(L) within the constraints of time, space and resources".....or, "we looked at it, cut a few bits out to cope with the reduction in trainers and it still fits cos we've overlapped the courses - woo hoo."

bunkum.

I hope to God (for the sake of the next course) they cut the tedious bit out of Mil Tech rather than any of the useful/interesting stuff.

Picture the scene. CGS is about to embark on a long series of meetings at MOD to discuss a future conflict in some Central part of another continent. He turns to his MA2, who has just finished the reduced ICSC(L) having completed NO previous staff training.

CGS said:
Ah, Quentin. I need a well written, timely Brief on the polical situation in Kwakmoonistan. Drop in a few facts about oil, natural gas and the like. I'll need to know a little about their culture and, indeed, tactics. By 1500?
Quentin said:
Err. I don't know much about that, Sir, and my written skills are a little poor as that phase was chopped. Luckily, however, I am a subject matter expert on Auto Frettage, Turbochargers, Run-Flat Tyres, Explosives (Internal and External), Aerial Vehicles, the Electro-Magnetic Spectrum...continues as nauseam...

CGS said:
Ah, Quentin. I need a well written, timely Brief on the polical situation in Kwakmoonistan. Drop in a few facts about oil, natural gas and the like. I'll need to know a little about their culture and, indeed, tactics. By 1500?
Quentin said:
Err. I don't know much about that, Sir, and my written skills are a little poor as that phase was chopped. Luckily, however, I am a subject matter expert on Auto Frettage, Turbochargers, Run-Flat Tyres, Explosives (Internal and External), Aerial Vehicles, the Electro-Magnetic Spectrum...continues as nauseam...
CGS said:
What do you mean? I thought we had spent all our money on JSFSG, not some silly techy course. What else did they teach you, dangerously-over-educated-but-not-in-anything-useful-MA-person?
Quentin said:
Well, not a great deal, really. We learned to always sit no more than 10 rows back, not to use lazer pointers, and basically that was it.

CGS said:
What do you mean? I thought we had spent all our money on JSFSG, not some silly techy course. What else did they teach you, dangerously-over-educated-but-not-in-anything-useful-MA-person?
Quentin said:
Well, not a great deal, really. We learned to always sit no more than 10 rows back, not to use lazer pointers, and basically that was it.
Humourless and very patronising SO1 said:
My office NOW! You childish little student!
:D

CGS to MA....

"find me another pretty brew bitch if you ever want to Command...this time one who can write! I'm off to get re-Botoxed. I'm fed up of being 'craggy'. And get me some more moisturiser, you fuck1ng hat."

MA

"You are too kind, my Lord and Master. And handsome."

etc,

Christmas eve...........faaaaaackin 'elllll..........

I've been selected to join ICSC(L)3 but not too sure what to expect. I've heard a few romours that there a some hotties working for Serco.............Am I right?!

Bummer_69 said:
I've been selected to join ICSC(L)3 but not too sure what to expect. I've heard a few romours that there a some hotties working for Serco.............Am I right?!
Not only have you already posted this inane nonsense elsewhere on this board, you also asked me via PM. Let it go, FFS.

And no - there aren't any 'hotties' working for SERCO. And learn to spell as well.

Bummer_69 said:
Woo-fecking-hoo. Well done you, you OBVIOUSLY deserve to attend ICSC(L). Do you not have any friends in the Army who either are on the current course or did the first one? My recommendation is to speak to them - you'll get much more from that than posting some desperate comments on this site.

Talking of desperate - you are clearly an AGAI 67 drama case waiting to happen if you're interested in the SERCO girls. Don't you have a life?!