Delicacies enjoyed while posted in germany

While stationed in Osnabruck in the mid ninenties used to enjoy some nice food at the weekends from a food stand just inside Marktauf, they were kind of like a pizza, that you had filled with salad etc, normal squaddie behaviour was to eat and not pay much attention to what they were. Now a few years after leaving Army, no more German postings find myself hankering for them, only dont know what they are called, or what country they were from (not German) :cry: Can anyone out there help, stand also sold flatbreads filled with meat and pickles. Many thanks :D

It was most likely a turkish kebab.

Hate to put you off your ´lieblings essen´,but in one of our local kebab dens there were two bowls of sauce,one for the Turks and one for the ´rest´,the local health authourity(Gesundheitsamt) did a check on the second one and found it to be full of ´human DNA`,yes the bastards had been w*nking off in the bowl!

Guten Appetit!! :twisted:

PS.this is a true story from the local paper,the owner was fined heavily but the shop still exists and I haven´t eaten a Kebab since!

thebutlerdidit said:
While stationed in Osnabruck in the mid ninenties used to enjoy some nice food at the weekends from a food stand just inside Marktauf, they were kind of like a pizza, that you had filled with salad etc, normal squaddie behaviour was to eat and not pay much attention to what they were. Now a few years after leaving Army, no more German postings find myself hankering for them, only dont know what they are called, or what country they were from (not German) :cry: Can anyone out there help, stand also sold flatbreads filled with meat and pickles. Many thanks :D
Was it a Lahmacun? We used to have them in Bielefeld in the main shopping area. It was like a turkish pizza that is filled with goodies and then rolled up. Is that the one you mean?

Ice

Gyros and Pommes mit mayo! Mmmm. Food for heroes. Though I was never a great fan of Bratties.

Ice_and_a_Slice said:
thebutlerdidit said:
While stationed in Osnabruck in the mid ninenties used to enjoy some nice food at the weekends from a food stand just inside Marktauf, they were kind of like a pizza, that you had filled with salad etc, normal squaddie behaviour was to eat and not pay much attention to what they were. Now a few years after leaving Army, no more German postings find myself hankering for them, only dont know what they are called, or what country they were from (not German) cry Can anyone out there help, stand also sold flatbreads filled with meat and pickles. Many thanks D
Was it a Lahmacun? We used to have them in Bielefeld in the main shopping area. It was like a turkish pizza that is filled with goodies and then rolled up. Is that the one you mean?

Ice
If it's what I bought in Kaufland in Meppen last week then it's Turkish. It's a flat round loaf, pitta bread that you got with a gyros, a kebab dish.

Or it could be and sounds more likely to be Lahmacun (as previously posted)which is Turkish Cypriot/ Turkish pizza though available from most Middle Eastern countries.

About as German as cevapcici but you'll find them most places as well. The German version of Steak Pie, Curry Sauce and Chips.

Eating is cheating.

Becks at 50 cents a bottle from the Naafi or about a euro in the bar. Seem to recall that the cost of 330cl of Becks was the same as 330cl of coca cola during the days of the DM. Although I can't for the life of me remember how much it was. Probably about 1 DM.

That means Becks is about 35p/70p a bottle. So why does it cost £2.50 and up for a bottle in UK?

Yaeger Scnitzel (spelling?) and pommes from Daves Bar in Hildesheim at 03:00 - yum....
Gyros Teller for any occasion, drunk or sober...
Curry Wurst and pommes..

All washed down with a golden handbag - heaven..

Ice wins the prize it was Lahmacun, now all I have to do is learn turkish and buy turkish cookbook, either that or use internet, will let you know result. Thanks all for help :D :D

thebutlerdidit said:
Fladenbrot by your description, may be the same as lahmacun, sheeps cheese and salad with tsatziki sauce. Starving now cheers. :)

chocolate_frog said:
Eating is cheating.

Becks at 50 cents a bottle from the Naafi or about a euro in the bar. Seem to recall that the cost of 330cl of Becks was the same as 330cl of coca cola during the days of the DM. Although I can't for the life of me remember how much it was. Probably about 1 DM.

That means Becks is about 35p/70p a bottle. So why does it cost £2.50 and up for a bottle in UK?
Way back in the day,1991,it wa Dm3.19 to a £1.00. Beers were around Dm1.00 a pint but spirits were extorsionatly expensive.

The Details to 4 Petroleum Depot, Warendorf, I remember them well, the frikadellas there were luuurvley!!!

I used to get a plate full & trough the lot.....the look on the box 'eads faces as they strolled in for their NAAFI break & there were
none left. :lol:

Halb hanchen mit frit und mayo*, bitte.
Then go out for a night on the pop, dont tap off yet again*.
Stagger into local gyros place, gyros mit frit und galic sauce*. Fcuk off outside, spew, back inside play the sonderspeel? Wondering why you cant get Annie Lennox to play.
Then stagger back to camp.
Wake up, go to work finish work, go shower, etc.

Repeat process. Items marked * change for your own choices. System works for all days ending in Y.

In My 2 years in D I did not find any German food I realy enjoyed. I thougt the quality was poor the bread dissapointing. Went over to France to buy food for Home. The bratwurut was ok but how many do you want to eat. However the cheap pils was another matter.

Still shop in Germany once a month but hit the UK for things you can't get in the Netherlands or Germany.
Essentials from the UK are:

Bacon. All you can get in D and NL is the Tulip stuff that you introduce to a frying pan and can't ever find it again. Shrivels up to fcuk all.
Pies and pasties. Nothing vaguely like it.
Gravy. In both D and NL. you could wait until Hereford wins the cup but the instant thickening gravy is still like pish.
Bread. Good in the Netherlands but only suitable for replacing garden decking from Germany. Buns are good though.

Still get a gyros when I can, stuff is to die for. Great for breathing over people for days after.
Nice pommes in D but then they shake half a ton of salt over them and no vinegar.
Vinegar. Saves you pouring it out of the pickled onion jar.
In D, Bratwurst and Bockwurst of course but then a sausage is a sausage whatever you call it. Currywurst is good.
Jaeger or Wiener Schnitzel the size of a fat barsteward's flip flop. Take it home and finish it later. Jaeger sauce in the pocket again, forgot the doggy bag.

Could think of lots more but bored now. You're probably bored as well.

The Curry-wurst stand in front of the Europa Centre in Berlin.......................unforgetable,the saliva´s running at the thought.

We had a full screw that was such a ´hog´that it took hours to get to the centre of Berlin,the greedy B*stard used to stop at every bratty and imbiss bude! :roll:

If you´re searching for the Holy Grail,Malt Vinegar to pour over your chips I´m afraid you´ll have to do with the Eyetie stuff,Asato Balsimico,it took me fcuking donkeys years to find it even though I´d worked in a Pizzaria!

In my defence I used to bring pints of Sarsons over and ´buckets´of Branston pickle :p

gyros-pitta from "lalls" in spandau/berlin absolute magic :D :D :D :D