deleting e-mails

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by Resurgam, Jan 10, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I am trying to give away a tower computer but before I do so I want to make sure there is no data on it.

I have used kill disk to delete all the data on the slave drive but do not know how to delete the data and especially all the stored e-mails out of outlook etc. I want to give it away with as much software as possible especially the OS and Office. I paid for the blasted things so why shouldn't the next owner have them!

I am not porting any software as I have gone all Mackingtosh.

Help please

2. msr

msr LE

The easiest way to do this is to erase the master HDD.

Then either reinstall all the software, update it and give it away, or just hand the installation CDs / registration codes over with the box.

I would not recommend trying to delete data on a per application basis.

3. That is what I would have liked to do but I cannot find the OS disks. The machine was a dell and I am not sure I got the disks only a set of recovery ones which I cannot find. Hence my problem.
  4. msr

msr LE

Check your PMs.
  5. Assuming its Windows and all your stuff is in the 'C' drive and if you have the CDs avaliable then at the command line type 'format C: /s'.

This will remove everything but the '/s' switch will keep the system files and then the new owner can re-install everything from the CDs (or you can do it for him/her).

For all practical purposes this will clean your drive although it will always be possible to retrieve what 'used to be there' if someone really wants to do it (and has the know-how to do it).

edit to say typing is slow so missed ur previous post... Ooops
  6. msr

msr LE

Sorry, this is dangerously naive and very poor advice.

7. Granted... hence the warning
  8. If you have the newest version of killdisk (5.1, I think), you can delete the Outlook data files (.ost or .pst extensions - you should have at least one .ost file) and then use killdisk's Wipe function to go over any free space - including the space you have just created ... If you have Outlook Express see here for where to find the .dbx extension files.

Although I'm not certain about the reliability of any wiping tool that is still talking about "Gutmann's data destruction method" - this used to be relevant but has been overtaken by changes in underlying hard disk technology.

My recommendation - download a trial version of PGP (here), and use "PGP Shredder" to delete all the data (including the Outlook). PGP Desktop is generally reliable software.
  9. Going to use KillDisk on both drives and reboot with Disks provided by a well wisher. Fortunately I have been shown where my licence number is so I ca reinstall.

Thanks for the help
  10. I will try the pgp approach first. Then Killdisk. One cannot be too careful

Thanks everyone
  11. msr

msr LE

No, but you can waste a lot of time ;) Killdisk will do the job.

12. Agreed. No point in doing both - and I haven't actually tested killdisk (it may have just been a marketing monkey writing crap on their website - the tech may be sound. But that's just given some poor MSc student some work later in the year :)
  13. msr

msr LE

Or an idea for his PhD :)
  14. Nah, deffo an MSc project (benchmarking forensics utilities) - I don't get to supervise PhD students yet!

Oh - some pictures of the proper way to do it. From a sandy place quite a long way away.