deleted.

#2
My question fit into the topic title so no need to start another.

I hope there are some Guards or someone out their that can help me.

Looking at photos of some Scots guards it struck me that I could not make out the Blue/Maroon badge backing.

Was it not worn in '82?

Also was the tartan badge backing of Scots Guards Officers worn in '82?

When did the backing(s) come in?
 
#3
tankieboy said:
I hope there are some Guards or someone out their that can help me.

Looking at photos of some Scots guards it struck me that I could not make out the Blue/Maroon badge backing.

Was it not worn in '82?
Do you mean the Blue Red Blue backing?

If so its the Household divisions flash. If l remember rightly it only came about in the 90's
 
#4
tankieboy said:
My question fit into the topic title so no need to start another.

I hope there are some Guards or someone out their that can help me.

Looking at photos of some Scots guards it struck me that I could not make out the Blue/Maroon badge backing.

Was it not worn in '82?

Also was the tartan badge backing of Scots Guards Officers worn in '82?

When did the backing(s) come in?

Scots Guards return
 
#6
Can anyone shed light on the following snippet of info please.

Although the Battalion did not serve in the Falklands War, men of the Argylls were detached there to serve in various capacities with other Regiments during the War.
Who did they serve with (RM?) and in what numbers?
 
#7
Before your thread gets hijacked out of existence..

BlotBangRub said:
I am just sitting down to write an essay about Goose Green and I have some rather bone queries.

What words if any in 'battalion second-in-command' get capitalised?
If it's a particular bloke and you want to refer to him again, then, for example, "... after which, the Battalion Second-in-Command (Bn 2i/c) lifted the handset..." thereafter use the term "the Bn 2i/c". If it's general, then it's "Any battalion Second-in-Command could have called on...", referring to the Second-in-Command (particular appointment) of any battalion.

Also does 'the' in 'the Parachute Regiment' get capitalised?
The correct title is "The Parachute Regiment," i.e. Second Battalion, The Parachute Regiment, so the "T" should be capitalised. It may look odd, but again, reduce it to it's abbreviation after first use. So, first time say "Second Battalion, The Parachute Regiment (2 PARA)...," remembering that the abbreviation is capitalised (which is bad english!).

Slight change of emphasis but does anyone know the following?

What company was Barry Norman in at the time i.e. was he HQ Coy CSM? (The interview refers to him as ‘Sergeant Major’, but that is an appointment not a rank and I want to be able to get it right. If I cannot find out his appointment I shall refer to him as WO II which I would rather not do). Don't know, but there shouldn't be a space. According to http://www.raf.mod.uk/falklands/goose1.html Barry Norman was a Sergeant signaller. Another loose end to tie up...

Was Major Keeble still serving when he gave his interview to Yorkshire television for 'The Falklands War: The Untold Story'? Don't know.

He gave his interview in civvies and I know he left in 1987 but he may still have been in when it was conducted and to an historian this is an important point.

Thanks in advance.
 
#9
tankieboy said:
Can anyone shed light on the following snippet of info please.

Although the Battalion did not serve in the Falklands War, men of the Argylls were detached there to serve in various capacities with other Regiments during the War.
Who did they serve with (RM?) and in what numbers?
I know of one who was attached to the RM as a Tp Comd.
 
#10
BlotBangRub said:
Thanks for the replies!

I got 76 and 80 for my essays on the Falklands, so all the help from ARRSERS, both public and private paid off.

Feel free to hijack away, it could be a useful thread for any Falkands scholars.
So are you going to post the essays up for us to read?

msr
 

the_boy_syrup

LE
Book Reviewer
#11
tankieboy said:
Can anyone shed light on the following snippet of info please.

Although the Battalion did not serve in the Falklands War, men of the Argylls were detached there to serve in various capacities with other Regiments during the War.
Who did they serve with (RM?) and in what numbers?
Didn't they arrive just in time for the end
I believe they took over from The Parachute Regiment and became the first resident inf unit
I think they also took part in the recovery of bodies etc from the ships
 
#13
the_boy_syrup said:
tankieboy said:
Can anyone shed light on the following snippet of info please.

Although the Battalion did not serve in the Falklands War, men of the Argylls were detached there to serve in various capacities with other Regiments during the War.
Who did they serve with (RM?) and in what numbers?
Didn't they arrive just in time for the end
I believe they took over from The Parachute Regiment and became the first resident inf unit
I think they also took part in the recovery of bodies etc from the ships
That was the Queens Own Highlanders.
 

the_boy_syrup

LE
Book Reviewer
#14
LEGZ30 said:
the_boy_syrup said:
tankieboy said:
Can anyone shed light on the following snippet of info please.

Although the Battalion did not serve in the Falklands War, men of the Argylls were detached there to serve in various capacities with other Regiments during the War.
Who did they serve with (RM?) and in what numbers?
Didn't they arrive just in time for the end
I believe they took over from The Parachute Regiment and became the first resident inf unit
I think they also took part in the recovery of bodies etc from the ships

That was the Queens Own Highlanders.
Sorry you are correct
Rather you didn't mention it to my brother in law he was there with them :wink:
 
#15
LEGZ30 said:
tankieboy said:
Can anyone shed light on the following snippet of info please.

Although the Battalion did not serve in the Falklands War, men of the Argylls were detached there to serve in various capacities with other Regiments during the War.
Who did they serve with (RM?) and in what numbers?
I know of one who was attached to the RM as a Tp Comd.
Was that the LT that got some 7.62 in the legs? Yeah I know of him.

The little info I have from A&SH webs amongst others imply's there were more than one but less than Bn strength attached to other units. Just wondered who to and in what capacity.
 
#17
tankieboy said:
LEGZ30 said:
tankieboy said:
Can anyone shed light on the following snippet of info please.

Although the Battalion did not serve in the Falklands War, men of the Argylls were detached there to serve in various capacities with other Regiments during the War.
Who did they serve with (RM?) and in what numbers?
I know of one who was attached to the RM as a Tp Comd.
Was that the LT that got some 7.62 in the legs? Yeah I know of him.

The little info I have from A&SH webs amongst others imply's there were more than one but less than Bn strength attached to other units. Just wondered who to and in what capacity.
In his arrse apparently. When he was our CO our RNO was an LE QARNC and she turned out to have been one of those that treated him. It was her that told us he had been shot in the arrse.
 
#19
The ASH officer who was wounded was attached to 42 CDO and is referred to in Lt Col (as he then was) Nick Vaux's book 'March to the South Atlantic'. IIRC, Vaux gives the impression that the wound was lower down the leg, since he wrote something (again, this is from memory) to the effect that when chatting to the wounded he reassured said ASH chap that he would be able to Highland Reel again with the best of them, despite the wound being somewhere which might endanger this pastime (I'm not entirely sure that the arrse is crucial to the reel, or is it??) - only to get a somewhat unintelligible reply since the morphine had kicked in...
 
#20
Archimedes said:
The ASH officer who was wounded was attached to 42 CDO and is referred to in Lt Col (as he then was) Nick Vaux's book 'March to the South Atlantic'. IIRC, Vaux gives the impression that the wound was lower down the leg, since he wrote something (again, this is from memory) to the effect that when chatting to the wounded he reassured said ASH chap that he would be able to Highland Reel again with the best of them, despite the wound being somewhere which might endanger this pastime (I'm not entirely sure that the arrse is crucial to the reel, or is it??) - only to get a somewhat unintelligible reply since the morphine had kicked in...
You could well be right. I took her word for it (and it may have been a wind up). I refrained from asking the CO to show me his arrse.
 

Similar threads


Latest Threads

Top