Delayed onset muscle soreness

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by carlbcfc, Nov 19, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Can you train with this, or is it best to let the soreness ease a bit?

I only get this when I "wake up" a muscle after a few weeks of not working it.
    Most recently squats, although I run most day, I guess im not using those muscles to their max.

I've also got it big time in my biceps, after concentratin on triceps for a few weeks.

My previous experience with DOMS has taught me, break them back in, leave for a few days, they you can work them most days without too much soreness.

Stick to that? Or can I train with the soreness?

I ask, as its better than getting injured.
  2. DOMS itself is perfectly possible to train with. there are various theories as to the causes, i believe the currently accepted idea is its caused by breakdown of the muscle fibres and subsequent repair process.
    you can train with doms, but remember, you get doms from pushing your muscles, so going at it like the clappers day after day means you'll probably not do yourself any favours.

personally, i find i can train through them, and i think stretching can be very beneficial.

i would say your way of training seems a bit arrse about tit. its quite inefficient to train one area for a few weeks then move on.

really the best way to guage it is listen to your body. you should know the difference between hanging out your hoop and actually injured (i dont know you personally, you could be a real mincing fem for all i know, so correct me if you don't)

dont blindly follow your schedule. if it says 8 mile fartlek, and you get to 4 miles and you can feel your achillies is about to blow out, dont crack on, tone it down or stop.
    do that, and regardless if your sore as hell or fresh as a daisy, you should remain fairly injury free.
  3. Bowmore_Assassin

Bowmore_Assassin LE Moderator Book Reviewer

The old adage is rest is essential as this allows the muscle tears to repair.

Personally, I follow a three day on, one day off PT programme where possible. Unit PT sometimes interferes with it but I rest at least one day a week, if not two.

IMHO, individuals know their own bodies and limitations and you should go with your instinct. Bottom line is though, that you do need to rest if you have caned a specific muscle group.

I agree with previous poster, stretching is important and I try to do this on off days. Must admit though, I don't do enough stretching.
  4. No, stretching is a bit of a miss with me too to be honest. Must do more.

Im a, 6 2" 94kg, not a hairy Bulgarian ladybeast, so must be a man.

My training has mainly been running based, but now ive included a good PT session (RM website) which seems to have broke me in again. I ran this morning, but was considerably slower than usual, so took that as a wasted session as I couldn't push myself.

Im hoping the DOMS will ease as long as I keep the PT session regular, and not leave muscles to rot for weeks on end. So the advice is, get a routine, stick to it.
  5. basicly yes. you dont have to regiment your exercise like you have ocd, but keep it frequent and balanced.

try to mix it up, you will suffer a lot if you do mainly running and every session is a thrashing.

professional runners tend to do:

-less sessions but they go 100% every session
    -more frequent runs, but not all at high intensity

by all means thrash yourself 6 days a week. but dont do the same muscles every session.

go swimming, it mixes it up, and is great conditioning and cardio. there are a million possibilities.

also when you run, dont wear a watch or time yourself every time. it is the best way to disillusion yourself.
    you wont run a pb every session, as long as you worked thats all you need to worry about.
    time yourself every few weeks to monitor progress, but not everytime. we all have bad days, and dont let a disappointing run ruin your day, which it really can do.
  6. I was at one point running 5 days (sometimes 2x per day), but my hip was telling me to ease up in the end. Ive recently switched to 3 days running, which has allowed me to work hard on those days knowing I can rest the next, and seen improvement.

I used to do treadmill sessions in the gym, an hour at the highest intensity I could. Since I stopped those, my road running has slipped. I felt good afdter a good hours lung bust chasing that treadmill belt around....and I didn't suffer doms back then.
  7. Are you talking about with resistance training? If you are, then sticking to a split of two body parts (i.e. chest and triceps or back and legs) per gym session would naturally give each specific muscle group rest anyway.

With running, if your doing it on a regular basis then you shouldn't experience too much DOMS, as your body becomes accustomed to it. Unless of course you are pushing yourself out of your comfort zone, rather that just maintaining your fitness.

I personally find that mixing it up between split body parts in the gym and different types of running, allows me to train very hard but also allow each muscle group a period of rest to recover. You just have to listen to your body and train accordingly.
  8. I've always found with DOMS that once i warm up and stretch when i begin training the pain pretty much disapates! Except one time when i over did the abs at BMF and pretty much cried every time i coughed, sneezed or laughed! That was hell! haha!
  9. Resistance training has caused it. My legs, biceps, & you know the upper arm/forearm joint? Stiff as fook. I last worked them wednesday appart from the light run yesterday.

I dont get sore running unless I have a bollock busting interval session.
  10. Im a great believer in intensity not frequesncy when it comes to training. If your thrashing yourself on every run, then no way should you be able to manage twice a day, 5 days a week!!

I suppose it depends what your overall goal is...........
  11. Well if its a thashing each time you workout, then id expect you to be sore. I know I am when I train, because I rarley do "maintenance fitness".

If your working to your maximum, constantly raising the bar and pushing yourself to be fitter/stronger then surely DOMS would be a natural by-product.

Ive said it before on here and I will say it again. Just listen to your body. DOMS isnt an injury so you can train through it, but why work your biceps for example if they are in agony - just switch to a leg workout or a run instead.
  12. That was in July the 2x. I was doing an hour on the treadmill, then a 3 miler with 2 mates at a jog as they were unfit.

Now, I only run 3 days, but higher intensity, and seen greater improvement. Ive come to the conclusion, less is more. I started to go backwards overtraining.

Im just about to pick those 1 hour treadmill blasts back up, as I felt they were great cardio wise, allowing me to sprint for longer periods. It's just how I fit it in with my road running this time without overdoing it. I'd like to do more treadmill to get some decent cardio in, while giving the legs & hips a rest from the road, as iv just got over a nagging right hip problem.