Delay to the election announcement

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by dui-lai, Apr 3, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

2. I smell a big fat hairy rat.

Who here is good at news analysis , allied to geo-politics and future events, whilst keeping the tinfoil hat off?
  3. It's plausible enough. If I remember rightly both he and his wife are RCs so attending vespers makes sense. It'll also garner him a little support from the RC vote, but that's just me being cynical.

If he wants the 5th of May as election day, then Parliament has to shut down by the 11th. Neither house ever sits during a weekend and this Friday is off thanks to Chazza's wedding. Monday is shot thanks to Vespers and Callaghan, so that leaves Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday for serious lawmaking. The record for getting a bill through Parliament is three days, even with what amounts to out-and-out fraud, so NA is going to have to drop anything remotely contentious or risk it running out of time.
  4. Sorry to correct you, Juvenal, but while the Wide-Mouthed Frog is indeed of the Timmite persuasion, Bliar himself is not. Full marks to Old Joe the Pole for screwing up the best-laid plans of mice and men by exquisite timing in shuffling off his mortal coil. :lol:
  5. Bliar clearly feels that, rather than making an announcement he has not made yet, it is better to delay the announcement he has not yet made and to leak this decision to sympathetic media ears.

It will be business as usual after the funeral, and some bright sparks are probably working out what unpopular announcements can be "buried" in the meantime.
  6. Dear friend!

This date 5 May was know long ago. I refer you to this article in Telegraph

'May 5: election date is revealed in parliament (the Russian parliament, that is)'

By Julius Strauss in Moscow and Andrew Sparrow in London

(Filed: 11/02/2005)

//Konstantin Kosachyov, the chairman of the Moscow state duma foreign affairs committee, let slip the date, which has been widely rumoured, in comments reported by the Russian news agency Interfax yesterday.

He said the Prime Minister's office had cited the date as the reason Mr Blair could not attend a ceremony in Moscow on May 9 to mark the 60th anniversary of the end of the Second World War. "British Prime Minister Tony Blair said there will be elections in his country on May 5 [so his inability to attend] is understandable," he said.//
  7. Report in today's Guardian on the implications of the delay in the expected election announcement. I see no likelihood of the election date itself being changed in present circumstances. 30 more days to go.

Blair postpones election announcement as a sign of respect

8. What - even more than he gets by being Adams and McMurphys bum boy?
  9. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

Greatsword, I think I'm correct in saying that Roman Catholics are not permitted to become Prime Minister, and that Bliar has claimed not to be one.
    But going by his record of telling the whole unadulterated truth, do you believe him ?
  10. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

I note they are even considering delaying the Royal wedding so Prince Charles can attend the Pope's funeral.
  11. Actually, RCs are allowed to be PM and have been for a while (since 1829 at least). The catch is that if one becomes Prime Minister then he or she is locked out of selecting bishops and the role goes to the Archbishop of Canterbury instead. Ditto Jews but oddly nobody else. It is entirely possible (if somewhat unlikely) for a Satanist to play a major role in selecting the next Archbishop of Canterbury.
  12. Perhaps the election announcement is also being delayed until the date of the wedding can be established. My earlier cynical sentiments still stand!
  13. [quote="CutawayBut going by his record of telling the whole unadulterated truth, do you believe him ?[/quote]

Of course I believe The Great Leader. He told me my SA80 was a superb piece of military engineering, that my unit had enough body-armour two years ago, and that Saddam had WMD. What's not to believe? 8)