Deisigning for Veterans

Discussion in 'Charities and Welfare' started by matt_zanetti, Feb 18, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. hi i'm a forth year design student in edinburgh. i'm currently working on my final project which i am designing a centre for ex service men and women that helps them to deal with the mental and phsyical implications of combat. at the moment i'm trying to establish what veterans think of the services currently available, the difficulty of seeking help and the stigma attached to mental health issues in the miltary. what would you like to see set up in order to help sufferers and educate future generations of soldiers of the realities of war adn hopefully combat the stigma of mental health issues.

any help would be greatly appreciated.
  2. "Labelling the Gods"? "Pointing the way to Gods"? Sorry, you've lost me.
  3. I think your in the wrong forum and I would suggest first spending a few days reading the various threads here concerning such subjects.
  4. Agreed.

Read around and then come back with some questions

As with all mental health problems, much of it is particular to the individual and can't really be standardized

This said, physiotherapy practice is pretty well documented and you should find allot of information on the web.

The NHS produce 'health building notes' for the design of medical and psychiatric nursing. They'll point you towards best-practice and design

A good designer is architect Mungo Smith

These guys will help you with the practicalities of good design
  5. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

A very worthy project, I wish you luck, but for please learn to use the shift key. If a 4th year student can't write properly what hope is there for the rest of us?
  6. I suggest that all doors have a "soft-close" apparatus finished or failing that, the tables and chairs should have plenty of room under them!

All levity aside, I think it is good that a student in the demilitarised UK has the interest and nous to approach this issue. I think that he/she would do better to talk to a relevant charity, RBL or Combat Stress. Far better for the project than some web-site badinage and anecdotes...

An interesting thing is the length of time between incurring combat stress and entering the home...that should be a factor in design I believe, both in terms of reducing "triggers" and the type of care required.