Dehydration - related to fitness?

#1
I've considerably increased my fitness in the last few months. It's recently occurred to me that when I go out for a run or for a long swim, I don't need to bring water with me any more. A few months ago, I had difficulty running 5 km without stopping at the fountain in the park (drinking fountain, not decorative fountain), but I can happily do 10 or even 15 km now without doing so (usually 10 km). I usually run in the evening, so I don't think it's anything to do with the heat.
 
#2
Making sure your Hydratory Status is maintained is very important. Ensuring you do this during the day is the key. Whether you take on water on a run or not is probably down to personal preference & possibly due to increased fitness - though i cant think of any main factors for that reason. Just make sure you take on some fluids when you get in from a run.
 
#3
this happened to me...after about 2 mins of resonabley fast running my throat burned like hell for water......a month or so later i was fine and didn't NEED to drink all the time....


i think it's to do with your lungs and stuff (very tech i know lol) getting used to it.....you'll probbley have a better breathing pattern ect..so yeah i guess it makes sense.....but keep taking a drink with you or after you run and stop without taking on water you'll get a killer headache....
 
#4
You should always carry fluid's with you on a run by way of a squeezy bottle!
2% dehydration causes a 20% inefficiency in your fitness levels.
Also you only have to look at the soldier that died from heat exhaustion the other day in Tidworth, i believe that was from heat exhaustion correct me if im wrong?
Insuffcient fluids are a major contribution to this.
 
#5
Whilst at work I ensure I take a 2 litre bottle of water with me every day and drink it all. 2 litres of water will keep your body hydrated throughout the day and will bolster your immune system to fight off illness and diseases!!
 
#6
numbered_3 said:
Also you only have to look at the soldier that died from heat exhaustion the other day in Tidworth, i believe that was from heat exhaustion correct me if im wrong?
Was he not wearing half his 1157 and being ragged around camp! a bit different from going out for a run!! I doubt whether he had any chance to take on any fluids of any description. RIP young man.
 
#8
Irrespective of whether or not you think you need to have water, you should ALWAYS take it with you. There's no point in running the risk of dehydration.
 
#9
When you feel thirsty its too late; you're dehydrated. Retching with an empty stomach is not a good experience. You need to take water on board even if you don't think you need to.
 
#10
I read somewhere you can tell dehydration by your pee. Dark & sweet smelly means your starting to lose body sugars & as your dehydrating,your pee is more concentrated,hence the sweet smell.Is this correct?
 
#11
Believe it or not it is possible to actually die from Aqua intoxication. I do not jest.

Atheletes have died in taking on too much water after running. Certain psychiatric illnesses can also result in the death of the suffer due to an excessive in take of water.

So not only do you have to worry about de-hydrating now you have to worry about Aqua Intoxication. Sweet dreams :wink:
 
#12
Yes, that's true. When the kidneys start packing up (a la severe dehydration) urinary output drops and when it does come out its 'thicker', brown, and very very smelly.
 
#13
spike7451 said:
I read somewhere you can tell dehydration by your pee. Dark & sweet smelly means your starting to lose body sugars & as your dehydrating,your pee is more concentrated,hence the sweet smell.Is this correct?
If it looks like Tizer, smells like Tizer, you are dehydrated. If it tastes like Tizer, you are a really really sick person and should seek medical help immediately, she told me to say.
 
#14
princess_combat said:
Believe it or not it is possible to actually die from Aqua intoxication. I do not jest.

Atheletes have died in taking on too much water after running. Certain psychiatric illnesses can also result in the death of the suffer due to an excessive in take of water.

So not only do you have to worry about de-hydrating now you have to worry about Aqua Intoxication. Sweet dreams :wink:
"Aqua intoxication" (which I assume you to mean "Water intoxication) is to do with a chemical imbalance in the body. Hyponatremia, or “water intoxication” — a condition where the sodium-starved brain swells.

See here for details.

I doubt you will ever die from it, you haven't got a brain.
 
#15
Death_Rowums said:
spike7451 said:
I read somewhere you can tell dehydration by your pee. Dark & sweet smelly means your starting to lose body sugars & as your dehydrating,your pee is more concentrated,hence the sweet smell.Is this correct?
If it looks like Tizer, smells like Tizer, you are dehydrated. If it tastes like Tizer, you are a really really sick person and should seek medical help immediately, she told me to say.
:lol: You been hanging around Dale's back door again,you sick puppy you! :p
 

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
#16
spike7451 said:
I read somewhere you can tell dehydration by your pee. Dark & sweet smelly means your starting to lose body sugars & as your dehydrating,your pee is more concentrated,hence the sweet smell.Is this correct?
The colour is a dead easy indicator - pale, straw yellow - fine, you're hydrated. Dark, orange....get sloshing back some fluid.

I will leave others to comment on taste and smell :-D

As has been seen by the tragic death of Pte Williams, it seems we can't bang the message out loudly enough on hydration.

It is QUITE possible to go for a 10K in this country without carrying water or stopping at a water point half way round IF you are well hydrated to start with.

But you need to be sensible when it's abnormally hot , like recently.

On the London 10K on 2 July (bright sun, ambient 30 degrees C ) I pre-loaded with 500ml of Isostar, carried a 500ml water bottle and took a bottle at one of the water stops , the bulk of which went over my bonce. Like most things, listen to your body. If you find yourself licking your lips, mouth full of sticky,gummy spit - get glopping !

The drop in power with dehydration is a well-known scientifically analysed effect, first proven IIRC by researchers at Loughborough Uni.

The curious thing is that with all the concentration on getting water down you REGARDLESS of the amount of effort you are expending, there is another effect which can kick in. Had a couple of people in Iraq flop over from a mild version it. New guys who had just arrived. Mostly working in an air-conned environment but nonetheless glopping the water back like camels arriving in Aqaba with Lawrence.

Basically, because you are so busy taking on higher than usual amounts of fluid (more than required to balance what you are losing through sweat ) the correct levels of salts,acids and minerals in your bloodstream gets diluted.

Its called hyponatraemia IIRC ( I'm a bit of a runner but not a medic). There have been a couple of fatalities on marathons because of it....usually people who are hitting a five hour pace ( and therefore not losing fluid at the same rate as the speedsnakes) but who have had it drilled into them that they must down a litre at every water stop.

Article from Runner's World link :

Mars and Venus When it comes to sweat rates and fluid-replacement needs, men and women come from different planets. Because men are, on average, significantly heavier than women and have more muscle mass, they sweat more than women and need to drink more. Or, to turn things around: women don’t sweat as much as men, so don’t need to drink as much. They also have a smaller blood plasma ‘tank’ than men, which is easier to overfill. Many women are new marathoners who are happy to finish in five hours or more. They reach the 20-mile mark exhausted, and think, “If I can force myself to drink more I’ll feel better.” It’s a recipe for disaster.

An overlooked truth with real-life consequences For the reasons just stated, a woman’s hydration need can be up to 30 per cent less than a man’s. This essential fact has been largely overlooked in most articles on hydration needs, and it’s particularly important for women runners, because most of the marathoners who suffer from hyponatraemia (excessive water drinking), including a number who have died from marathon-related hyponatraemia, have been women.

Hyponatraemia deaths Hyponatraemia means ‘low blood sodium’, but it’s caused by excessive fluid consumption, which lowers the concentration of sodium in the blood. As we’ve seen, in extreme cases, hyponatraemia can lead to brain seizures and death. Maughan describes the condition as “a significant danger for a small number of people.”

Last year, America’s Boston and Marine Corps Marathons had their first-ever fatalities attributed to hyponatraemia. Hyponatraemia is also beginning to appear in other endurance athletes, including ultramarathoners, Ironman triathletes and long-distance walkers. So far, there are no known cases of death from hyponatraemia in endurance events in the UK, although there have been cases associated with psychiatric illness.
So, glopping a litre and a half bottle on a 10K in generally temperate Britain is not necessary. If you're in Iraq/Morocco/Jordan/Kabul/Death Valley then its a different story.

Le Chevre ( Who runs a bit, slowly, but isn't a medic)
 
#17
gooseman said:
numbered_3 said:
Also you only have to look at the soldier that died from heat exhaustion the other day in Tidworth, i believe that was from heat exhaustion correct me if im wrong?
Was he not wearing half his 1157 and being ragged around camp! a bit different from going out for a run!! I doubt whether he had any chance to take on any fluids of any description. RIP young man.
Was he wearing half of his 1157???
I dont know, but fcuk me i wouldnt want to be the PTI that took him for that thrashing.
RIP.
 

Latest Threads

New Posts