Dehydration - related to fitness?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by The_Green_Manalishi, Jun 15, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I've considerably increased my fitness in the last few months. It's recently occurred to me that when I go out for a run or for a long swim, I don't need to bring water with me any more. A few months ago, I had difficulty running 5 km without stopping at the fountain in the park (drinking fountain, not decorative fountain), but I can happily do 10 or even 15 km now without doing so (usually 10 km). I usually run in the evening, so I don't think it's anything to do with the heat.
  2. Making sure your Hydratory Status is maintained is very important. Ensuring you do this during the day is the key. Whether you take on water on a run or not is probably down to personal preference & possibly due to increased fitness - though i cant think of any main factors for that reason. Just make sure you take on some fluids when you get in from a run.
  3. this happened to me...after about 2 mins of resonabley fast running my throat burned like hell for water......a month or so later i was fine and didn't NEED to drink all the time....

i think it's to do with your lungs and stuff (very tech i know lol) getting used to'll probbley have a better breathing pattern yeah i guess it makes sense.....but keep taking a drink with you or after you run and stop without taking on water you'll get a killer headache....
  4. You should always carry fluid's with you on a run by way of a squeezy bottle!
    2% dehydration causes a 20% inefficiency in your fitness levels.
    Also you only have to look at the soldier that died from heat exhaustion the other day in Tidworth, i believe that was from heat exhaustion correct me if im wrong?
    Insuffcient fluids are a major contribution to this.
  5. Whilst at work I ensure I take a 2 litre bottle of water with me every day and drink it all. 2 litres of water will keep your body hydrated throughout the day and will bolster your immune system to fight off illness and diseases!!
  6. Was he not wearing half his 1157 and being ragged around camp! a bit different from going out for a run!! I doubt whether he had any chance to take on any fluids of any description. RIP young man.
  7. I didn't know that. Someone should have told me that I have to drink to stop getting dehydrated!!
  8. Irrespective of whether or not you think you need to have water, you should ALWAYS take it with you. There's no point in running the risk of dehydration.
  9. When you feel thirsty its too late; you're dehydrated. Retching with an empty stomach is not a good experience. You need to take water on board even if you don't think you need to.
  10. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

I read somewhere you can tell dehydration by your pee. Dark & sweet smelly means your starting to lose body sugars & as your dehydrating,your pee is more concentrated,hence the sweet smell.Is this correct?
  11. Believe it or not it is possible to actually die from Aqua intoxication. I do not jest.

Atheletes have died in taking on too much water after running. Certain psychiatric illnesses can also result in the death of the suffer due to an excessive in take of water.

So not only do you have to worry about de-hydrating now you have to worry about Aqua Intoxication. Sweet dreams :wink:
  12. Yes, that's true. When the kidneys start packing up (a la severe dehydration) urinary output drops and when it does come out its 'thicker', brown, and very very smelly.
  13. If it looks like Tizer, smells like Tizer, you are dehydrated. If it tastes like Tizer, you are a really really sick person and should seek medical help immediately, she told me to say.
  14. "Aqua intoxication" (which I assume you to mean "Water intoxication) is to do with a chemical imbalance in the body. Hyponatremia, or “water intoxication” — a condition where the sodium-starved brain swells.

See here for details.

I doubt you will ever die from it, you haven't got a brain.
  15. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

:lol: You been hanging around Dale's back door again,you sick puppy you! :p