degrees in the army/Marines

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Officer Recruiting' started by cadethopefull, Sep 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just a quiry, are degrees absolutly essential in the army/marines as an officer, if not just how much are they valued
  2. Perhaps you should work on your spelling before worrying about if you need a degree?
  3. don't worry you can probably get a degree in being a mong now, there's one for everything else.
  4. Yes. If you're Freemason.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. It is possible, but very though, my old Lt had a HND (Higher National Diplma) which is the course between A- Leval and Degree, and Lt Wales (Aka Prince Harry) only has A-Leval grades (and not very good ones). However a Degree is not everything, and I know plenty of AGC/RMP and Medics who have Degree's who are not Officers. Go to the Recruitment Centre and do the IQ Test (or what ever it is called now), if you have a few braincells and inpress they may let you atend an Officer selection interview, however be warned your face must fit to get inthe officers mess.
  6. sockpuppets, im doing engineering not puppetry, and i know my spelling can suffer sometimes but im good with science and numbers. all im asking is; how far can you go, as an officer, without a degree, or does it deppend on the officer

thanks for the advice,:)
  7. You make it sound as if you have no control over it, "Sorry my spelling's feeling a bit off-colour today" rather than "I can't be arsed to use a dictionary so take it or leave it" which is perhaps closer to the true state of affairs.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

Higher National Diplomas are considered to be the equivalent of First Degrees by the CQA (or whatever it's called this week). As far as I recall having an HND doesn't entitle you to post-nominals (as a Degree does), but I have seen HND and HNC used as such.

But as to whether having a degree is better than not. There is another thread which discusses this in depth.
  9. Understatement of the century.

"Sorry Mr Wales we regret to inform you that we have rejected your application to serve in your Grandma's Division because you don't have a degree" I don't think so somehow.
  10. I am just pointing out that the majority of Officers (not including LE) have been to University and have HND's or Degree's, while if Harry was a normal guy and had applied to the Army with his A - Leval results (one B in Art and a D in Geography, not very inpressive considering he went to Eton and had the best education money could buy) he may have had to settle for life as a Soldier instead of a Officer. Obviously being the Grandson to the Queen does open door's, I am not suggesting that the Army would have rejected Harry's Army application as he is part of the Monarchy; but what I said earlier still stands, a Degree is not everything as I have known Pte's in the AGC/RMP and Medics with University Degree's but have failed Officer selection while Harry did pass (to his credit and done well since).
  11. [​IMG]
    • Like Like x 1

12. What do you mean by "your face must fit"?

I am not qualified to comment on many things millitary, but one thing I can say with confidence is that in the last few years, going through (and being succesful in) the AOSB process, I have met a huge different range of Potential officers, and they certainly do not fit one mould! They tend to share some of the same values and ambitions, wanting to work hard as part of a team in a disciplined enviorment.

However in terms of backgrounds etc there was a huge different range, and probably the majority of people come from a state school background, and I certainly haven't picked up on any culture of having to have been to the "right sort of school".
  13. Don't RM use mil's the same as the army ?
    • Like Like x 2
  14. took me 3 reads to work that one out.
  15. Why not ask your para-trained guardsman alter ego, numb-nuts?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.