Degrees in army

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by mfearnon, Apr 4, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi, I have just sent in my application to join up, but I have also been offered a place on a degree course at a local university, I desperatly want to do both, is there any chance of completing a degree during service or would you not have the time? Do you have to serve a min time before you can apply to do a degree? Would it be better to complete my degree first and then join up??

2. Depends what you want to do.

You can aquire Degrees in service, esp if you are a rupert. But several trades give them out too. Or you can do OU or a similar degree by post.

You can also join up, do some time and get the various bonuss and then leave again.

£15,000 at the moment for 8 years (IIRC), which would also net you 3 x £2000(up to) payments for learning too.

You might even be able to leave, get a degree and come back (if you wanted to).

Ask at the ACIO. But decide which is the most important to you.

3. My advice as a recruiter would be to take the opportunity to do your degree now whilst you are tuned into the idea of doing one, the Army does offer a great deal of opportunities but the needs of the service will come first, yes there are trades where degrees can be obtained but they are limited.

If i was you (which obviously i am not) then i would go to university and sign up for University Officer Training Corps and look at the Army from that side of the fence and get the benefit of the Officer recruiting team that work closely with the UOTC's and get paid for being in the UOTC whilst there ;)

4. Is the UOTC not only for future officers? What about doing my degree and enlisting in the TA at the same time?

5. Bowmore_Assassin

Bowmore_Assassin LE Moderator Book Reviewer

You can join the TA whilst in Uni doing a degree. The recruiter gave some sound advice though. Why not do your degree and try UOTC ? If that does not give you what you want sac k it and join the TA. I strongly recommend you do your degree though, regardless.

6. Pay wise in the UOTC is it the same as the TA? I know the TA has a min of 27 days training per annum and the UOTC has fixed times of training, but I would like to be able to complete the maximun number days availible for more wages and maybe not have to get an extra job on the side, which would be more suited for this?

7. Bowmore_Assassin

Bowmore_Assassin LE Moderator Book Reviewer

8. The reason i would deter you from joining the TA if you are going to stay in the education system is because the TA are a reserve force that is deployable, as such they are reliant upon people that can not only attend regularly but people that can deploy on operations. Given that you would be classed as full time education, intelligent mobilisation would preclude you from deployment (in most cases) unless you took time out from studying.

The UOTC is a perfect step for someone studying in University to build an interest and an insight into the Officer Corps, it has a large training budget and is geared around its members and not around an operational Orbat.

The TA would undoubtedly give you more scope for making extra money whilst studying but to do that you would have to go through the enlistment and training process before getting anywhere near the realms of doing extra days to support a credible wedge of income ;)