Degree

Discussion in 'Seniors' started by Repartee, Apr 30, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I am currently at university studying criminology. I am at a split between entering the army (RMP) as a soldier or officer. Clearly there is a large difference in pay. And I'm sure most would assume that a degree means I should be applying as an officer. But would I see any benefits from having a degree as a soldier? (faster promotion? etc.)

Few things about me: I'm also in the OTC but all we seem to do is the fun stuff and haven't actually gain any insight into a life as on officer. My fitness isn't a problem (8min 12sec 1.5 mille) Just my main concern is I do not enjoy organising other people. That's not to say I can't do it, but I prefer being setting a tasks and completing them. Anyone have any suggestions to find out if officer is for me? Or questions I should ask myself. Basically I think I'd be a average officer or a excellent NCO.

From reading these boards the majority of replies are complete s***, only serious answers please.

2. You certainly have the personality of an officer.

3. chimera

chimera LE Moderator

I think that you have answered your own question.

4. Enlisted or Officer

Look at the facts.

In the RMP as an enlisted man you will be an NCO straight from training.
    All the rest of the Army will hate you
    You will have to work for at least 10 to 12 years to get a salary of 30K, lots of this work will be shift work.
    At 40 you will get a lump sum and early departure payments which means you will have to get another job to get you to retirement, when you will be ex RMP and all the world will hate you.

As an Officer in the RMP
    All the rest of the Army will hate you, including the enlisted RMP
    You will have to work for 5 years to get a salary of 35K, lots of this will be staff work
    At 40 you could be Lt Col on 65K plus a good lump sum and worth while pension when you will be an ex officer and the entire world will want to employ you.

If you actually get a degree in criminology it won’t help you progress in the RMP. There are better prospects in other arms and services and you wont be restricted to having wan*ers for your mates. Widen your scope of employment. The RMP is dull, dull, dull.

5. Not enjoying organising people, does not seem to be compatible with being an excellent NCO

Being offensive and arrogant is only compatible with being the very worst type of officer.

I would suggest you do neither until, or unless, you develop a mature personality.

And that is a serious answer.

6. ok serious answer: you sound like an arrogant knob, and are suited to being neither a soldier nor an officer until you sort your attitude out.

if you disregard that answer (from somebody with 17 years experience in the environment you hope to join) as "shit", then see above for the sentence about you being an arrogant knob.

all the best.

7. LMAO! What an exceptionally colorfull description! :)

8. I concur with the above.

Why are you focussed on RMP?

Infantry will give you infinitely more scope; especially if you have conspicuous ability and want to rise to a commensurate rank as an officer.

Without knowing the content of your criminology degree course, I can't comment; but I can say, as a meaningful generalisation, that any degree which has the effect of sharpening your intellect so that you can speedily master complex subjects will be a huge asset to the army, and to you, whereever you go.

Good luck with it all!

9. From reading your post and weighing up all your attributes, I would recommend a career....

in the RAF

10. As a Snowdrop. They're all jumped up cnuts too. Plus if you have trouble making a decision, you can ask the dog (the rest of them do).

12. You're in the TA, right?

13. E-Layer got it one!!!

14. Sounds to me that u have your head up your own ass! i suggest a re-think on your career.