degree from the REME

I got one as a storeman

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
I heard that you can get a degree in mechanical engineering in the REME, but how would one go about getting that, and is it only for certain roles?
Dunno about a degree but my oh left REME with membership of the Institute of Mechanical Engineers and the Institute of Engineering Management as well as achieving the fine rank of WO1(ASM) and enjoying 22 years of Army life. Asked which means most to him it would be unlikely to be the Alphabetti Spaghetti after his name.

Last edited:
To be honest I'm on the same boat as him. I have an aspiration of joining the reme after sixth-form however my parents and siblings are concerned about me joining the military as I'm the only person in my family who has done so and they also are concerned about the qualifications I will obtain while in service. I want to convince them that joining the reme is the right thing for me as thats the only thing I can see myself doing in the future but they don't seem to understand and want me to do that. How do I convince them. What qualifications can I earn

I know an ex Tiffy WO2 who read part time for a BEng during his time in the corps.
And got his CEng once on resettlement, now works for a large 4x4 car maker.
Artificer training is HND level with the possibilty it could become a FDsc

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
To be honest I'm on the same boat as him. I have an aspiration of joining the reme after sixth-form however my parents and siblings are concerned about me joining the military as I'm the only person in my family who has done so and they also are concerned about the qualifications I will obtain while in service. I want to convince them that joining the reme is the right thing for me as thats the only thing I can see myself doing in the future but they don't seem to understand and want me to do that. How do I convince them. What qualifications can I earn
My knowledge is out of date and second hand. I am sure there is someone who can help you, whether it's Army recruiting, REME Recruiting, etc.

I do know that we saw numerous NVQ type teaching being demonstrated at the Open Day at Lyneham last Summer. Welding, mechanics, airframes, blacksmithing, whitesmithing etc, all conforming with the modern curriculum. Can you get your parents to an Army Recruiting Office for some facts?

I believe Technician trade tiffies now earn a degree as the education part of their Artificer qualification. Black hand trade tiffies earn HND for the same.

*Sniff* In my day you only got an HNC....

Dunno about the REME, but technician supervisors in R SIGNALS (Foremen of Signals) are degree-qualified. You can't join the Army as a FofS, but you can join the feeder trades (primarily Comm Sys Engr, but not exclusively), and works towards FofS selection.

Get Qualified - Royal Corps of Signals

It used to be that Army Qualifications were not recognised in civvy street - but things have and are changing - I've also heard that you CAN get 'civvy approved qualies' in the REME.

It will be a smart move on your part to join the REME,as you can choose from several skills,to use outside,after you've done your time.

Go for it - surprise and delight them, by proving them wrong !

As an ex armourer, I'm now employed by London Underground as an engineering manager. The skills and qualifications learnt in all REME trades are actively sought by employers, as is the corps taught attitude to get the job done no matter what.

Don't worry about what you'll do when you get out, think about what you want to do when you're in.

I retired 3 years ago after 28 years as a electronic technician - I left with a BSc IEng APMP NEEBOSH MAnagnebt Quals driving licenses and lots of other Quals - these Quals were spread across my length of career and I had to demonstrate and attain certain military and trade pre requisites to be allowed to do them - the army and rene offer plenty of opportunities for Quals but in return you need to give back your service and dedication with demonstrated good performance - go for it but don't expect a free ride

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

Thank you guys so much for your responses. I honestly didn't expect this much of a response from you guys. An update on the situation is that I've talk to my parents again and I feel that they're slightly better about my prospect of joining. The reason they were probably iffy at first was probably due to the fact that I'm of asian(Pakistani) heritage and typically people of my ethnic background don't go into armed forces. Thank you guys so much by the way for your response. Can't wait to join reme

Thank you guys so much for your responses. I honestly didn't expect this much of a response from you guys. An update on the situation is that I've talk to my parents again and I feel that they're slightly better about my prospect of joining. The reason they were probably iffy at first was probably due to the fact that I'm of asian(Pakistani) heritage and typically people of my ethnic background don't go into armed forces. Thank you guys so much by the way for your response. Can't wait to join reme
That's a great shame as there is a huge heritage of people from the Indian Subcontinent joining and doing well in the British Army, with many VCs, medal winners and others making their contribution.

@TheBadapple1 certain trades are qualified to degree, avionics and aircraft). The 'blackhand' (mechanical as opposed to electrical/electronic) trades gain civilian accredited qualifications which can count towards a degree qualification. There are a number of trials going on at the moment of degree apprenticeships, this may become the 'norm' in the future, but it isn't yet. After serving for 8 years you are able to receive something called Enhanced Learning Credits which is £2000 a year for 3 academic years (they don't have to run concurrently). There is a lower tier (for over 6 years service) which is £1000, these can be used to fund further study to degree level (Portsmouth university is a common provider).

Come join us...We're all charming and exceptionally good looking. Funny too

Claiming ELC

A little late in replying...

There are many qualifications available across the trades.
We are granted something called Enhanced Learning Credits, which we use to offset the cost of higher education either whilst serving, or post Army career. A few examples:
I am completing a BSc (Hons) in Engineering Management. The course is based on my experience from the Army, and then 5 modules to top up to complete the degree.
A colleague is writing his MEng paper at the month.
Other colleagues are completing APMP courses, also financed using ELCs.
We all complete modules post-training, allowing us to gain a NVQ Lv3 in Engineering Maintenance. This is the gateway to joining the IET / IMechE / SOE and ontowards professional registration with the EC UK.

Hope this helps!