Degree Course Funding

Any advice welcome. My wife is looking at obtaining a degree as a mature student and we're trying to get our heads around the funding options. My research has shown that HMRC validate the figures provided for the household income. My question is although I live in the UK I don't work here or pay UK tax (I work in the EU and am taxed at source on my income by the host country) so I think I'm right in declaring my earnings as nil?

TIA

Any advice welcome. My wife is looking at obtaining a degree as a mature student and we're trying to get our heads around the funding options. My research has shown that HMRC validate the figures provided for the household income. My question is although I live in the UK I don't work here or pay UK tax (I work in the EU and am taxed at source on my income by the host country) so I think I'm right in declaring my earnings as nil?

TIA
You may want to chat with the international students office of her chosen uni - they are normally very helpful and can point you at advice and options.

We have just had to cough up for the daughter to attend in the UK. The deadline for UK citizens living outside the UK passed so she is treated as an international. To be honest though the difference in fee's is only a couple of grand. Compare that to the USA where if you go out of your home state the fee's can quadruple in many case's. She would have cost us over $300K over 4 years here and is costing us (all in, food accomodation, flights, everything) around $90K by attending in the UK.

FYI Holland does a magnificent selection of english language taught degree courses at a cheaper rate than the UK.

Ta for that link. She'd like Germany for a masters eventually.

Just read this snippet:

Average tuition fees for Master's degrees in Europe:
  • 5.100 EUR/year for EU/EEA-students;
  • 10.170 EUR/year for students outside EU/EEA.
FYI: I contacted a couple of US universities to do another masters to keep the grey cell's ticking and was quoted over $100K for the course's. Serious money grabbing.

FYI: I contacted a couple of US universities to do another masters to keep the grey cell's ticking and was quoted over $100K for the course's. Serious money grabbing.
That is steep! How on earth can that be justified? I can now understand why some families create a 'College Fund'/ '529 Plan' - even before their kids are born.

TIA
Just fill this in and see what the result is SFE

TIA
A few days late but...

When I did my MSc/PhD EU students were charged at U.K. Rates. Should still be the same for a year ago.

I was also looking at doing some more training, either at post-doc or a MSc, but if it's just for the brain exercise you could think about a MOOC course.

Most are free. Some charge if you want certification.

It's the way I'll go next - I don't need any more qualifications per se.

FYI Holland does a magnificent selection of english language taught degree courses at a cheaper rate than the UK.
Seen. I'm in Groningen every couple of weeks and you hear more English spoken than Dutch.

A few days late but...

When I did my MSc/PhD EU students were charged at U.K. Rates. Should still be the same for a year ago.
I believe that with the whole EU thing it was/is to be treated as one and the same across borders. It'll be one of those things that changes a'la Brexit.

I was also looking at doing some more training, either at post-doc or a MSc, but if it's just for the brain exercise you could think about a MOOC course.

Most are free. Some charge if you want certification.

It's the way I'll go next - I don't need any more qualifications per se.
I fancy going back and doing another, something totally different for the fun of it - Templar, or Crusader castles around the Med, or maybe Roman Med trading posts. Something totally useless, just for the enjoyment of it and to stop the slide into dementia.

As to degree collecting: He wasn't a supervisor but, he used to patiently help me when I needed assistance with some world shifting problem and he had a serious handful of degree's. He was last seen as a prof in a US institution, when I knew him he had a BSc, 5 MSc's, 2 PhD's and was working on his 6th MSc. He used to bang out MSc's like other people attended sewing, knitting and Spanish classes at FE college.

Last edited: