Degree, Alis Points and UCAS points?????????

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Reserve Recruitment' started by Simon3088, Sep 9, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Dear Sirs,
    Im hoping someone can give me some advice. Im currently at university studying a degree and would like to join the army as an officer. I believe that when i get my degree this will counteract the need for the 180 Ucas points as required.

However my problem is that I do not meet the required amount of ALIS points. Does anybody know a way of getting round this?

2. Copied from the army www site:

All applicants joining the Army as an officer must be more than 17 years and 9 months old and must start the commissioning course at Sandhurst before their 29th birthday. Minimum Academic Requirements for civilian applicants are 7 GCSE passes at grade C or higher (35 ALIS points), including English language, mathematics and a science or foreign language. In addition, an applicant must have a minimum of 180 UCAS points, including 2 A Levels (or equivalent) at Grade E or above.

3. However, as I was told at my Colonel's Interview: 'You haven't made the grade with your A-levels because General Studies doesn't count in the Army. You do have an Adult Degree (BA Hons English & Philosophy) and so this will count for you in your application. Go through and prosper.'

4. Mmm... just out of interest, would a 2 year HND at Merit level count?