Defunct kit

Discussion in 'Royal Signals' started by polar69, Feb 17, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. As a lowly STAB ( boo hiss etc) I have been reliably informed that you regs are no longer using ptarmigan

Is this correct ?

2. Its still in use but I think certain parts of it isn't used anymore (don't think they use COSSORs). Your source maybe getting confused with Euromux which went out of service last year.

3. No it didn't

4. PK

PK Old-Salt

Ptarmigan is still fully working where I am, including cossors - deep joy :?

5. Last briefing I saw (August) said that Ptarmigan would be around for several years yet. I will not put a date here as it will probably change as Cormorant and Falcon stories "evolve".

6. Euromux didn't go out of service?? Thought 36 and 40 had now reroled to NC regiments.

As for the COSSORs, why haven't they been replaced? Surely a PC, a basic comms package and an IARRCIS cable (data adaptor to RS232) would do instead - and be a lot cheaper to maintain.

7. I used to be in 36 and I have heard they are losing eurobitch

polar where are you in yorkshire , PM me if neccessery

8. PM me

9. I'm suprised (now knowing which unit your from) they told you this.

As I understand it Falcon is being introduced and will slowly replace Ptarmigan.
    22 Sigs are soon to be formed as a new regular Ptarmigan regiment.

You will probably loose Ptarmigan when Falcons has completed replaced Ptarmigan in the regulars - what happens to unit then I don't know (last rumour on this site was u weren't getting Falcon)

10. PK

PK Old-Salt

Had this discussion with my YofS the other day and whilst you could fit all the technology you find in a Sw & FC into something the size of your average laptop now apparantly that is a lot easier to steal than a Bedford with a box body bolted onto the back. Always thought that the secure area was used for storeing sensitive items, which could make space for a Sw & FC laptop and an assosiated i/p o/p panel. It would mean you could deploy a Sw & FC in the back of a Land Rover. Granted the ops wouldn't have a Tv and PS2 anymore but I'm sure they'd make do :twisted:

The discusion ended with the old "if it ain't broke don't fix it". Ptarmigan works fine the way it is so no one is going to change it. Anyway. as had been pointed out. Ptarmigan is due to be replaced soon anyway...

11. Or stick it in the back of every RR and heh presto .... each TN gets 5 SW's

12. Shhhhh ptarmigan works, it may be slow, old and out of date but it works and most of all staff officers can use it cos it's idiot proof. Lets not kick up such a fuss or we'll have another BOWMAN on our hands.

13. PK

PK Old-Salt

Roll on CORMORANT :wink:

14. has been for the last 4/5 years. when is falcon supposed to be coming in?

15. I read somewhere it was 2010 but that seems to far away (or did somone pick a realistic timescale)