Defunct kit

Its still in use but I think certain parts of it isn't used anymore (don't think they use COSSORs). Your source maybe getting confused with Euromux which went out of service last year.

F

fozzy

polar said:
Its still in use but I think certain parts of it isn't used anymore (don't think they use COSSORs). Your source maybe getting confused with Euromux which went out of service last year.
No it didn't

PK

Old-Salt
Ptarmigan is still fully working where I am, including cossors - deep joy :?

F

fozzy

polar said:
Last briefing I saw (August) said that Ptarmigan would be around for several years yet. I will not put a date here as it will probably change as Cormorant and Falcon stories "evolve".

fozzy said:
polar said:
No it didn't
Euromux didn't go out of service?? Thought 36 and 40 had now reroled to NC regiments.

As for the COSSORs, why haven't they been replaced? Surely a PC, a basic comms package and an IARRCIS cable (data adaptor to RS232) would do instead - and be a lot cheaper to maintain.

polar69 said:
I have been reliably informed that you regs are no longer using ptarmigan

Is this correct ?
I'm suprised (now knowing which unit your from) they told you this.

As I understand it Falcon is being introduced and will slowly replace Ptarmigan.
22 Sigs are soon to be formed as a new regular Ptarmigan regiment.

You will probably loose Ptarmigan when Falcons has completed replaced Ptarmigan in the regulars - what happens to unit then I don't know (last rumour on this site was u weren't getting Falcon)

PK

Old-Salt
polar said:
As for the COSSORs, why haven't they been replaced? Surely a PC, a basic comms package and an IARRCIS cable (data adaptor to RS232) would do instead - and be a lot cheaper to maintain.
Had this discussion with my YofS the other day and whilst you could fit all the technology you find in a Sw & FC into something the size of your average laptop now apparantly that is a lot easier to steal than a Bedford with a box body bolted onto the back. Always thought that the secure area was used for storeing sensitive items, which could make space for a Sw & FC laptop and an assosiated i/p o/p panel. It would mean you could deploy a Sw & FC in the back of a Land Rover. Granted the ops wouldn't have a Tv and PS2 anymore but I'm sure they'd make do :twisted:

The discusion ended with the old "if it ain't broke don't fix it". Ptarmigan works fine the way it is so no one is going to change it. Anyway. as had been pointed out. Ptarmigan is due to be replaced soon anyway...

PK said:
It would mean you could deploy a Sw & FC in the back of a Land Rover. Granted the ops wouldn't have a Tv and PS2 anymore but I'm sure they'd make do :twisted:
Or stick it in the back of every RR and heh presto .... each TN gets 5 SW's

Shhhhh ptarmigan works, it may be slow, old and out of date but it works and most of all staff officers can use it cos it's idiot proof. Lets not kick up such a fuss or we'll have another BOWMAN on our hands.

sh1t_list said:
Roll on CORMORANT
has been for the last 4/5 years. when is falcon supposed to be coming in?
Cormorants ok, just too much has been provided in subscriber facilites, keeping them all ticking over can be a nightmare. Oh and 2 are taking it on green exercises, should be interesting to see how much damage/repair is needed over the next few months!

I heard Falcon was supposed to be 2007 however has been put back another 2 years. Same with ATacCS. Seems that has been extended again now also before they get rid of it.

Supertramp said:
I heard Falcon was supposed to be 2007 however has been put back another 2 years. Same with ATacCS. Seems that has been extended again now also before they get rid of it.
I heard that DII were getting involved with a '1 system fits all' sort of stop gap.. getting rid of ATacCS and possibly even jocs too :roll:

Maybe this is a 'get rid' of Europe's dodgy Software supplier... :wink:

wibblefish said:
I heard that DII were getting involved with a '1 system fits all' sort of stop gap.. getting rid of ATacCS and possibly even jocs too :roll:

Maybe this is a 'get rid' of Europe's dodgy Software supplier... :wink:
ATacCS should (in theory) go when BOWMAN comes in (and the data side works properly).

Heard the biggest problem with Bowman at the moment is that GD can't convert wagons quickly enough and if they continue at their present rate we won't all be converted until 2012

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Flip_Flop_the_Gog The Intelligence Cell 17
P Current Affairs, News and Analysis 3
Aunty Stella Weapons, Equipment & Rations 18