Deflated Piper

Those of you with an interest in piping (or serving/ex-serving RHF/2 Scots) may be interested in this little snippet.

Formerly a Pipe Major in the RHF, he was for years a very familiar sight at piping competitions and he was certainly one of the best. Unfortunately, it seems that his interests were not confined to fingering his chanter. He was very lucky indeed not to get gaol.

"He was spared jail over the decade-long catalogue abuse yesterday because he has never been in prison before"

Does that not apply to anyone who gets sentenced to imprisonment for the first time???

I believe he taught at St Columba's School, Kilmacolm, where the offences took place.

Although a very fine piper, he had the kind of personal bumptiousness quite common in people of restricted stature.

How bizarre?

'The jury convicted Walker of 12 of the 19 charges he faced, acquitting him of assaulting a seventh pupil by finding those allegations against him not proven. He was spared jail over the decade-long catalogue abuse yesterday because he has never been in prison before.'

So, you can't go to gaol unless you've been before!

MrMemory

War Hero
Who woulda thunked that a employing a bloke with a predilection for bizarre outfits and knee-length skirts in a school might not be in the best interests of children?

He almost gave the game away it seems when he wrote a ditty called - the fiddlers rally - talk about hiding in plain sight!

Even when he was rumbled for the abuse he gets to walk away from the court because the judge noted " I note you have not previously served a sentence in custody". If that' s the yardstick for custody in Scotland no surprise it's the UK capital of KIddy-Fiddling.

Maybe that's where the expression Scot Free comes from?

No wonder half the kids there are on the smack - and the other half are on the pish.

PS-Gordon-Walker-Lge.jpg

I see Pipe Walker also has his own Wiki entry. I wonder if it will be updated with his current activities?

Last edited:
Even when he was rumbled for the abuse he gets to walk away from the court because the judge noted " I note you have not previously served a sentence in custody". If that' s the yardstick for custody in Scotland no surprise it's the UK capital of KIddy-Fiddling.
With those criteria, Scottish prisons should be entirely empty. Perhaps they have to borrow prisoners from other countries in order to fulfill their quota.

Who woulda thunked that a employing a bloke with a predilection for bizarre outfits and knee-length skirts in a school might not be in the best interests of children?

Maybe that's where the expression Scot Free comes from?

No wonder half the kids there are on the smack - and the other half are on the pish.

View attachment 411801

I see Pipe Walker also has his own Wiki entry. I wonder if it will be updated with his current activities?
I see that maths isn't your strong point.

The latest revelations from the charity NSPCC Scotland show that 265 cases were passed on to authorities in 2016/17, up from 187 in the previous year. There were also a further 167 contacts where helpline staff gave advice about sexual abuse against young people.

The figures form part of a total of 4,677 referrals made UK-wide last year, up from 3,578 in 2015/16.

Maybe @HLD DMR can comment?
Yes, I knew Gordon and knew about the charges quite some time ago. It was discussed between myself and another member on here whether or not to bring it up on a thread, but decided against until all was said and done since it reflected badly on our trade, the British Army and the piping world as a whole.

Last edited:
Although a very fine piper, he had the kind of personal bumptiousness quite common in people of restricted stature.
True he is an excellent piper, but more of a solo player than a band one, his ego outsized his little person status and he put many off. His appointment as PM of the RHF was a given because of his talent, yet he couldn’t progress any higher because he didn’t fit with what the Army wanted. The only flaw I saw in the article was claiming him as a Falklands vet which is kinda hard since he was 14 or 15 at the time.

Last time I saw him in person he tried to sell me a CD and even offered a discount, he was a little shill who took every opportunity to get ahead. Not surprised at all that he ended up being a sick little fcuk, little manny syndrome in its worse incarnation, should have been put away. He has been keeping a low profile since this started and has become a pariah in the pipe band community and will likely never play publicly for pay for many years if ever. His bread and butter is teaching piping and that is finished as the majority of students are under 18’s, guess a new line of work is order. I am thinking 2 SCOTS are going to stop laying claim to him being one of their own.....

This is the little shite when he was on his PM’s course, second from the left, front row.

Last edited:
How bizarre?

'The jury convicted Walker of 12 of the 19 charges he faced, acquitting him of assaulting a seventh pupil by finding those allegations against him not proven. He was spared jail over the decade-long catalogue abuse yesterday because he has never been in prison before.'

So, you can't go to gaol unless you've been before!
So if you fancy taking up mass murder as a hobby and have a spotless record, it's over the border and crack on then?

One can't help but wonder if funny handshakes might be involved at some point.

Edit - bugger, beaten to it by @Provost

True he is an excellent piper, but more of a solo player than a band one, his ego outsized his little person status and he put many off. His appointment as PM of the RHF was a given because of his talent, yet he couldn’t progress any higher because he didn’t fit with what the Army wanted. The only flaw I saw in the article was claiming him as a Falklands vet which is kinda hard since he was 14 or 15 at the time.

Last time I saw him in person he tried to sell me a CD and even offered a discount, he was a little shill who took every opportunity to get ahead. Not surprised at all that he ended up being a sick little fcuk, little manny syndrome in its worse incarnation, should have been put away. He has been keeping a low profile since this started and has become a pariah in the pipe band community and will likely never play publicly for pay for many years if ever. His bread and butter is teaching piping and that is finished as the majority of students are under 18’s, guess a new line of work is order. I am thinking 2 SCOTS are going to stop laying claim to him being one of their own.....

This is the little shite when he was on his PM’s course, second from the left, front row.
And that would be Gavin in the centre, he was a good PM albeit from the Jock Guards but not as good though as PM Frame.

The man is a convicted paedophile, not just in a one-off offence but a series of abuse over a decade against multiple victims. I really hope someone appeals the sentence and it gets examined in a higher court.

Sheriff Tom McCartney is clearly as bent as a 9 bob note.

Edit - As @HLD DMR says, in 1982 he would have been 14. Rather unlikely to have been a Falklands veteran.

Those of you with an interest in piping (or serving/ex-serving RHF/2 Scots) may be interested in this little snippet.

Formerly a Pipe Major in the RHF, he was for years a very familiar sight at piping competitions and he was certainly one of the best. Unfortunately, it seems that his interests were not confined to fingering his chanter. He was very lucky indeed not to get gaol.

"He was spared jail over the decade-long catalogue abuse yesterday because he has never been in prison before"

Does that not apply to anyone who gets sentenced to imprisonment for the first time???

I believe he taught at St Columba's School, Kilmacolm, where the offences took place.

Falklands War veteran Gordon Walker was unmasked as a dangerous sex predator who repeatedly abused six children.

The 51-year-old, who spent 16 years in the British Army still denies abusing the children, while they were aged between 10 and 17, at a £12,000-per-year school, despite having been sacked from his position and being convicted.

When did we stop sending 14 year olds to war,1983?

With those criteria, Scottish prisons should be entirely empty. Perhaps they have to borrow prisoners from other countries in order to fulfill their quota.
Fijians? Just like their jock regiments

Is that one of those "funny " handshakes
I understand from those who claim to know about things that it's known as a 'grip'. The guy on the right has his thumb pressing the nonce's third knuckle, which probably means that he expects to be saluted or to have a go on his goat or something.

A useful pen portrait from someone who knows something of him. I cannot claim the same. My only knowledge of him is through piping competitions. I'm sure that there are be many who would claim him to be something of a 'character'. My own impression was that he was someoene who glories in the limelight and who was more than happy to 'hold court'.

Your description would tend to confirm my impression that he is a bouncy wee nyaff.

Latest Threads