Definitive guide to effects

Discussion in 'Staff College and Staff Officers' started by msr, Dec 10, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. msr

msr LE

Apologies for being dim, but where is the best place to look for a definitive guide to effects?

msr

Blind
    Block
    Clear
    Cut-off
    Deceive
    Defeat
    Defend
    Deny
    Destroy
    Dislocate
    Disrupt
    Draw
    Feint
    Find
    Fix
    Identify – Main Effort
    Isolate
    Neutralise
    Protect
    Pursue
    Push
    Screen
    Secure
    Seize
    Stop
    Suppress
    Surprise
    Turn

2. Easiest place is my nirex still filled from my commanders course! :wink:

I really can't see me sittng and typing everything out, but if you have a fax number, PM me it and I'll pop it in tomorrow morning.

3. msr

msr LE

Can you scan it and email it over?

4. I don't have one, I'm afraid. Don't think we have a scanner at work either to be honest, I'll have a look in the morning and get back to you, if thats not too late?

5. Staff Officers' Handbook

They wont matter anyway if Gen Mattis' thoughts are proven to be right. Us Brits will have no option but to ditch them if we are to work in coalition with the Septics.

6. msr

msr LE

Whereabouts?

I can't seem to find it there...

7. Not got a copy at hand but it will be in the pink or green bit (how's that for a cop out?!). How current is your copy?

8. msr

msr LE

9. I had a conversation with an instructor at Leavenworth this week and he confirmed what I had gleaned from re-reading the letter from Gen Mattis. He hasn't thrown out effects, but the way they were planned- for example things like System of Systems Analysis. It is the jargon and complexity of EBO that has been stopped, not planning with effects itself.

10. Good point and well presented, i was logged into AKO. I'll see what I can do.

11. Be careful with the US definitions they are slightly different. I've got the ICSC(L) guide somewhere - if you are desperate for them PM me and I'll dig it out.

12. msr

msr LE

That would be very kind. It would appear that the list from the AATAM, which I copied above, contains some non-defined effects :(

Is there an SO3 TAM with whom I could raise this?

msr

13. I still use my definitions from JOTAC, tat came in the JOTAC handbook but thats from 2007. However we were told that if you went on DII to the Landwarfare centre and the Junior Officers course section you could down load the handbook or parts there of. However never tried this