definitive answer....

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Reserve Recruitment' started by Foitin_Irish, Mar 22, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. can Old bill serve in the TA?

2. yes!

3. Flip me that was easy! thank you very much SgtH! appreciated.

4. i may be wrong on this one, but i believe it's at your Chief Constables' discression.
    One of the guys at my last unit was Plod, and he told me the CC can allow up to 10 (ten) Bobbies in his area to be serving at any one time.
    I'm not sure if you would be exempt Ops, or Deployments though.
    Contact your nearest unit, and speak to their PSAO (Permanant Staff,Admin Officer) for more guidence.

5. We have one in ours very nice chap too

oh and in response to your sig I bet this would -

[​IMG]

6. Subb0
    AWESOME!
    you are either a) total IT geek
    b) far, far too much spare time!!

many thanks, for making me piss my pants laughing!!

H <--- currently sporting a 'map of africa'

7. Yes but t&c depend on your Force. Mine asks you to apply in writing but as said already, speak to personnel and they can tell you about any quotas and restrictions.

My lot also say you can't volunteer to mobilise. They have been very supportive though and we get half our time given towards any courses and camps and up to 9 weekend days to put towards training weekends as well.

8. I think the not being able to volunteer for Ops is Police service wide not just which force your in. Would it be labelled compulsary if you whispered in someones ear that you wanted to be compulsaryily...(sp??) called up?

9. if you were to 'whisper in the right ears' at TA, then mysteriously, a brown envelope WOULD appear at your door, with 'compulsory' mobilisation papers within, HOWEVER, it is STILL up to your employers wether or not they release you for service.

I'm sure if i'm wrong on this, one of our esteemed ARRSE colleagues will enlighten us both.

10. From what i've read no employer can deny compulsary call up? ( i'm ready to be corrected on that one though!) there are other procedures emergency services have to follow though to join in the first place

11. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

They can however, appeal the mobilisation (as can you) and this is clearly outlined in the letter that the MoD sends directly to your employer when you are called up. Being self-employed I got an 'employer notification' the day after I got my call-up.

Anecdotal suggests that appeals by employers are rarely contested. I knew a prison warder whose boss wouldn't let him go, and I've heard of a couple of policemen in the same boat.

12. I was wondering the same :wink:

13. That seems to vary from force to force and nick to nick. From the experience of several mates, Wilts Police Contested mobilisation without batting an eye for Telic 2 and asked the guy concerned to review his position in both the Police and TA. West Mids and GMP allowed two guys from each force to mobilise with their unit, no problem. With HMP Berlinnie and Winston Green were OK about lads deploying on Telic 2 and 3 but HMP Woodhall sacked a guy for disobeying them and deploying. (He was later reinstated but at a different nick) I would say having supportive management is the key.

14. Cheers for all the feedback people, much appreciated. I'll have a chat with the relevant people and take it from there, i getting the idea it all depends on the force your with and the amount of resources they have at the time.

15. msr

msr LE

I heard a story about GMP where a couple of Bobbies asked to be excused mobilisation via the employer appeal route and were roundly told that having had an extra 2 weeks paid leave for the last x years, they were going to go.

msr