Definition of Terrorism / Terrorist

Discussion in 'Staff College and Staff Officers' started by 101_Disciple, Aug 13, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Does anyone know of a definition within the doctrine (or general defence literature) for terrorism or a terrorist? Looking to reference it in a paper I am thinking of writing.
  2. Terrorism:

According to the Department of Defense, terrorism is "calculated use of unlawful violence or threat of unlawful violence to inculcate fear; intended to coerce or to intimidate governments or societies in the pursuit of goals that are generally political, religious, or ideological
  3. Cheers for this Smudge. Though I am particularly interested in the definition that we (as in the MoD / Forces) choose to use. If there is one that is. My (admittedly fairly limited) research hasn't found anything yet..
  4. From the MOD

"The unlawful use or threatened use of force or violence against individuals or property in an attempt to coerce or intimidate governments or societies to achieve political, religious or ideological objectives".
  5. 101

The official UK definition is in the Terrorism Act 2000 para 1 (on line via Home Office site).

NATO has a definition in MC472. There is no single international definition.

If it is a mil paper PM me as I have quite a bit of research done on this.

6. I have just finished reading what I think is by far the best and most thought-provoking book on this subject, which I would most strongly recommend to all a thoroughly interesting read. In the opening chapter it contains a seven-point list of characteristics which she believes define terrorism.

"What Terrorists Want (Understanding the Terrorist Threat)" by Louise Richardson, ISBN 978-0-7195-6307-2, £8.99 from Waterstones.

The book manages to be both concise and in-depth. Louise Richardson writes an an academic, so her text contains a solid historical context so often lacking from other current books on the subject of terrorism. Yet she has produced a book which is eminently readable for a non-academic, and which is clearly structured in manageable bite-size chunks for a busy reader (or for easy reference for someone writing a paper). The book also does not focus on fundamentalist islamic terrorism, but looks at all ideological groupings to give the widest possible dimension to the subject.

Finally, all the citations are contained at the end, which should be a substantial help to anyone writing on a similar topic.

If anyone knows of a better read than this, please tell me!
  7. Anyone that doesn't agree with the "war on terror"?
  8. Where does this fit in with chav culture sweeping the nation???
  9. Is this a fifth column attempt to get away from a white supremacist image or tag?

Pretty clever if it is - it seems to be working :(
  10. Perhaps they're really clever. Lets look into it. We their enemy:

Pay their wages
    House them
    Providetheir medical care
    Import their Tobacco
    Protect their human rights

Wow - The "Peoples Chav Front" are actually quite switched on.
  11. But only when their aims don't coincide with our foreign policy, such as David Ben-Gurion and the Irgun of course now they are on our side they have visionary status.
  12. 101,

Read something about Stockholm Syndrome - it does happen in cases of terrorism, not in all cases though.
  13. Now you talking Josey. Put together some Stockholm Syndrome thinking with the history and murder of Airey Neave and 101 should end up writing a thought provoking paper.