Discussion in 'Professionally Qualified, RAMC and QARANC' started by Trotsky, May 21, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I am currently doing a first Aid at work course and much of it is nowadays written around defibs.

There quite a new thing in the police TBH.

I wondered if the mililtary are using them and at what level? It would appear to me that one or two to an inf platoon would be useful.

2. They are small enough that each infanteer could carry two!

They might get to use them once every 100 years though... :(
  3. Sounds good at first look Trotsky. Truth is that defibs (or even CPR) have minimal effect when cardiac arrest is caused by trauma. I should imagine that is the most common scenario where you envisage them being used.
  4. Only at RAMC level (I think)

I have done my FAAW(I) course but just before the defib bit came in.

Another course to do :roll:
  5. To quantify the defib question a little, the heart has many possible rhythms that it can 'go into'. Not all of these are what are termed 'shockable' (ie. what the defib does) rhythms.

When the cardiac arrest is traumatic in origin (ie. due to trauma eg. gunshot/blast injury) the rhythm is normally a non-shockable rhythm.

For this reason, whilst a fantastic piece of equipment in the high street or shopping centre, the defib would not be used enough in the military environment to make it worthwhile to be carried by the patrol medic.

Hope this helps.
  6. They don't drop well either.
  7. Good way to wake up the soldier who has fallen asleep on stag though.
  8. Or float... apparently.

They also have a nasty habit of not working in the extreme cold either.
  9. never mind extremely cold weather one of the two types of AED i use in SJA doesn't like the slightest hint of frost ... it can take 48 hours back indoors to bring it back to 'happy face' showing on the test screen ...