Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi I just wanted a bit of advice I got deferred at selection and its really knocked me, I'm just kind of lost as to what I should do now.
    I don't know if I should try again or go for a different service or what, preferably I want advice from people who have had the same thing happen to them.
    Thanks

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

2. It's not the end of the world Jim, I got a deferral on my first application and that spurred me on to go to Uni to do my degree. The degree counts for nothing in reality of what I do however in the box marked worldly experience it made a vast differecne between the candidate I was then and before. Use it to your advantage and do something in the time to bring to the table next time you apply. Good luck

3. What for, and for how long were you deferred?

4. 12 months following surgery for a head injury. A deferral really isnt something to get to upset about so use it to your advantage.

5. I managed to successfully appeal against a rejection so if you really wish to enlist then persevere. It's only a deferral so hardly end game for you.

6. Use your deferral to gain "Worldly Experience" it will stand you in VERY good stead later on.... backing round some ex colony is a good one......... enjoyable, "character building" and shows the selection panel there is there is the quality of "get up and go in you" especially after getting a deferral.... shows the right spirit

7. Thanks for the replies, I don't know what I should do tbh I can't afford to go to university or anything like that and backpacking would be good but again I've literally got no money, I am unemployed at the moment and can't get any benefits, I only have my family really.
    I've worked from age 16 to 21 for the same company and I'm 24 now but in the past three years I haven't been able to find a job anywhere, I've tried like mad but there's just nothing around where I live.
    I used the last 3 years getting fit for the army, trying to find a job and trying to set up my own business but pretty much failed at it all now I've got this deferral!

8. Maybe harsh, but have you considered moving to where they may be opportunities? Difficult I know, but it should be an option.

9. Hang on, shortly, when the shit hits the fan and the headless call me dave gubment realises that they've not understood that you really need peace, in order to have a peace dividend. They'll take anyone then, even ex students with head injuries!

10. You need to stop focusing on its negatives. I know how it can knock your confidence, but look at it this way, you'll have more time to get fitter. I was in your position during my application process, so trust me it will be worth it in the end.

11. TBH, I think it was my 2:1 in paleanthropology that sealed the deal as they couldn't afford NOT to take me on. I know where the dinosaur skeletons are buried :)

12. That's not a bad idea, the more time you have to improve your fitness and do more research into your chosen job, the more chance you'll have of success when making it through the recruiting system and training.

13. Yeah I have but again it's down to money, I live with my parents and wouldn't be able to afford to move out.

14. Thanks for the getting fitter idea and that's pretty much what I've been doing anyway, before any of this when I was working I didn't do any exercise, literally nothing but I do quite allot of running now and actually enjoy it to a degree and I go swimming when I can afford to get there.

15. I think that may be part of your problem. Living with parents = no benefits. Whereas living independently would give you housing benefit and JSA. At 24 this may be an option worth looking at. Unless I am mistaken. (Could be, I'm no expert).