• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Deferred

It's not the end of the world Jim, I got a deferral on my first application and that spurred me on to go to Uni to do my degree. The degree counts for nothing in reality of what I do however in the box marked worldly experience it made a vast differecne between the candidate I was then and before. Use it to your advantage and do something in the time to bring to the table next time you apply. Good luck

Use your deferral to gain "Worldly Experience" it will stand you in VERY good stead later on.... backing round some ex colony is a good one......... enjoyable, "character building" and shows the selection panel there is there is the quality of "get up and go in you" especially after getting a deferral.... shows the right spirit

Thanks for the replies, I don't know what I should do tbh I can't afford to go to university or anything like that and backpacking would be good but again I've literally got no money, I am unemployed at the moment and can't get any benefits, I only have my family really.
I've worked from age 16 to 21 for the same company and I'm 24 now but in the past three years I haven't been able to find a job anywhere, I've tried like mad but there's just nothing around where I live.
I used the last 3 years getting fit for the army, trying to find a job and trying to set up my own business but pretty much failed at it all now I've got this deferral!

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

Thanks for the replies, I don't know what I should do tbh I can't afford to go to university or anything like that and backpacking would be good but again I've literally got no money, I am unemployed at the moment and can't get any benefits, I only have my family really.
I've worked from age 16 to 21 for the same company and I'm 24 now but in the past three years I haven't been able to find a job anywhere, I've tried like mad but there's just nothing around where I live.
I used the last 3 years getting fit for the army, trying to find a job and trying to set up my own business but pretty much failed at it all now I've got this deferral!

Maybe harsh, but have you considered moving to where they may be opportunities? Difficult I know, but it should be an option.

Hang on, shortly, when the shit hits the fan and the headless call me dave gubment realises that they've not understood that you really need peace, in order to have a peace dividend. They'll take anyone then, even ex students with head injuries!

D

Dreamseller

You need to stop focusing on its negatives. I know how it can knock your confidence, but look at it this way, you'll have more time to get fitter. I was in your position during my application process, so trust me it will be worth it in the end.

Hang on, shortly, when the shit hits the fan and the headless call me dave gubment realises that they've not understood that you really need peace, in order to have a peace dividend. They'll take anyone then, even ex students with head injuries!
TBH, I think it was my 2:1 in paleanthropology that sealed the deal as they couldn't afford NOT to take me on. I know where the dinosaur skeletons are buried :)

You need to stop focusing on its negatives. I know how it can knock your confidence, but look at it this way, you'll have more time to get fitter. I was in your position during my application process, so trust me it will be worth it in the end.
That's not a bad idea, the more time you have to improve your fitness and do more research into your chosen job, the more chance you'll have of success when making it through the recruiting system and training.

I think that may be part of your problem. Living with parents = no benefits. Whereas living independently would give you housing benefit and JSA. At 24 this may be an option worth looking at. Unless I am mistaken. (Could be, I'm no expert).
I think it's a bad idea, allot of my friends are in that situation and they barely survive, at least living with parents lets me have heating, water, electricity and food and with more cut backs on the horizon it can only get worse.

the only thing to do is appeal(sp?) and use the time to your advantage.
I'm just about at the end of a years deferral (due to a bit of wood falling on my head being reported as an unexplained loss of conciesness(SP?)) and eaven now that its over, its going to take even more time due to the new recruiting changes!

I've used the time well, to the point that I'm fairly confident of an A at adsc, so why not do the same as it will shorten the time it takes to get a training date when your deferral is over.

What were you deferred for

Volunteer! Charity shops, local animal rescues, Citizens Advice Bureau, that sort of thing. Doesn't cost a penny and shows committment and a get up and go attitude as well as being an excellent addition to your CV. CAB is an excellent one, I was an advisor when I was at Uni - it exposes you to real life situations and shows a maturity often beyond the years of the young counsellors involved. I definately think my CAB experience helped swing my AIB as it was a major topic explored.

Also, it sounds obvious, in the time you have, which may be a while, don't get disillusuioned and fall in with the wrong crowd. It happens a lot of screws a lot of applicants up.

I was deferred because they noticed that I struggled a bit in the PT session which actually caused me to hurt my leg so when it came to the run I didn't do as well as I usually do.
I also need to be more vocal on the team tasks which is annoying because I new that would be a weakness before I went in to selection so I kept it in mind but I guess I need to be even louder the next time.
Thanks for the advice, I'm trying to find a gym with instructed PT lessons or something.
Oh yeah when I went for my final interview she actually said she could pass me but she recommended that I go with her advice of a deferral as she could see me getting two weeks in to training and not being able to keep up with everyone else and I would fail myself, it's good advice which i followed but I still feel crap.

the only thing to do is appeal(sp?) and use the time to your advantage.
I'm just about at the end of a years deferral (due to a bit of wood falling on my head being reported as an unexplained loss of conciesness(SP?)) and eaven now that its over, its going to take even more time due to the new recruiting changes!

I've used the time well, to the point that I'm fairly confident of an A at adsc, so why not do the same as it will shorten the time it takes to get a training date when your deferral is over.

What were you deferred for

Thanks for the advice, I don't really want to volunteer for anything but your suggestion of the Citizens Advice Bureau is a good one as I've used them in the past when I've needed help and always found them really good at what they do, I'll have a look at volunteering with them just got to sort the fuel out though to get there!
What's an AIB?

Good advice on not falling in with the wrong crowd although i think ill be ok as where I live there isn't really a wrong crowd to fall in with.

Thanks!

Volunteer! Charity shops, local animal rescues, Citizens Advice Bureau, that sort of thing. Doesn't cost a penny and shows committment and a get up and go attitude as well as being an excellent addition to your CV. CAB is an excellent one, I was an advisor when I was at Uni - it exposes you to real life situations and shows a maturity often beyond the years of the young counsellors involved. I definately think my CAB experience helped swing my AIB as it was a major topic explored.

Also, it sounds obvious, in the time you have, which may be a while, don't get disillusuioned and fall in with the wrong crowd. It happens a lot of screws a lot of applicants up.

Latest Threads