Deferred Pension v War Pension

Discussion in 'Armed Forces Pension Scheme' started by fingers_1661, Jul 3, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Does anyone know whether a deferred pension will be effected if entitled pers claim for WP under '75 rules? I have a friend who stands to collect his deferred pension in 5 years time (9 years colour service, discharged in '82) who in my opinion could claim WP but is reluctant to do so because he seems to think it will effect his deferred pension.

I'd appreciate some help here as I believe someone I have known for 30+ years is losing money/suffering unneccessary hardship.
  2. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

Has no effect at all. The two are unrelated.

Get him to apply now, the sooner the better.
  3. My thoughts exactly. I'm going to have to bully him but that's what mates are for (I'll do his paperwork, given I already receive WP).

Any more feedback welcome.
  4. seaweed

seaweed LE Book Reviewer

When the WP app is returned with whatever award, APPEAL IT. The Serpents will always try it on. When the appeal answer comes back, appeal again. The Serpents will still be chiselling him.
  5. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

So you can appeal the appeal? Thanks didnt know that.
  6. seaweed

seaweed LE Book Reviewer

It's a while ago now but the form certainly used to be that when the appeal came back it was accompanied by directions on how to go to a tribunal (on paper, not in person). I do marvel at the sense of personal integrity of those who knowingly and deliberately chisel servicemen in the hope that they will be ever so grateful and not make a fuss. Slime actually.
  7. Those others I have come across (war pensions wise) have had similar experience as me - initial award was 20%, on appeal raised to 50% (then you can claim WPMS rather than DLA mobility and the DLA care element - you can't claim DLA mobility and WPMS [which is a higher rate] at the same time).

War pensions has nothing to do with armed forces preserved pension, however if you are unable to work through service related injury, you may claim early payment of your preserved pension (might take some time though :( )
  8. Thanks guys, it's taken a while but it looks like he'll finally agree to get started this week.
  9. I have a Question!
    Does anybody now what happens if you cannot afford the air fare back to blighty for the appeal, which I expect will be held in that refugee camp called London.
    I need to contact the RBL soon anyway, just thought I would ask
  10. If he left in 1982 and he is only just about to claim he will have lost 28 years worth of pension! Its only backdated to the date you put the claim in. Thats a lot of lost cash!