Deferred on enlistment?

Discussion in 'Army Pay, Claims & JPA' started by Coco5, Nov 11, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I was supposed to start basic training at the end of September. However, I have a daughter and just before i started she was taken seriously ill. Under the circumstances i felt i couldnt start basic and it made me reconsider joining the army. I had enlisted in the middle of September, so when i explained the circumstances to my recruiter at the AFCO, he said I would be classed as deferred on enlistment. I have heard nothing from him since. Luckily my daughter has recovered but my ex partner has moved away and taken my daughter with her. This has made me realise I made a rash decision and i still really want to join the Army, i just dont know where i stand. I thought id try and get some advice on here before i talk to my AFCO next week. Sorry that this is a bit long winded, i just havent got a clue what deferred on enlistment means and wanted to explain the circumstances behind it.

2. Coco5,

Well, no-one else has answered, so I will have a go!

Sorry to hear about your problems. I don't know what "deferred on enlistment" means and, as it's the weekend, I can't find out until Monday. However, I can guess: we know that people run into problems and then cannot start training so there will be a code for that event and that code will now be against your name. No big deal! The AFCO will wait for you to resolve your problems. Talk to them next week - that is what they are there for!

I would only advise that you ensure that you are completely happy with your personal circumstances before starting basic training. Basic training is a pig at the best of times, but if you are worrying about your daughter's welfare as well, you will not be as focussed on your training as you should be! On the other hand, you will be so busy coping with everything and making new friends that you will not have the time to think about anything outside!

I wish you all the best; which Corps are you joining?

Litotes

3. Thankyou very much for taking the time to reply, it was really helpful. Hopefully, I will be going into the Royal Signals as a Special Operator, EW group.

4. Your AFCO will not hold this against you. Go back and speak to them and they will pick up from where you left off.

Good Luck

5. Coco5,

Don't worry about it - someone has to be in the Royal Signals....

Enjoy yourself!

Litotes