Deferral of promotion

Evening all,

I’ve been tipped off that I’m extremely likely to come off an upcoming promotion board. Promotion would definitely entail posting out but due to my personal circumstances (nothing welfare-y, just settled in the area and comfortable) I do not want to do this.

I am certain that I’m submitting my NTT early next year after I sort a few things out in the meantime so promotion would be pointless anyway and posting out would make resettlement 100x more of a faff. My posting isn’t up for another few years anyway so it wouldn’t entail asking for an extension etc. In theory I could defer and just carry on as normal.

Essentially, my plan is to defer (reject) my promotion. I’ve been led to believe this is fairly easy these days depending on who you ask but I’m wondering:

1. How much pushback will I face from my CoC?
  2. Can APC or my capbadge desk “force” me to promote against my will?
  3. How do I sell this in corporate speak? “I’m threaders and signing off anyway” won’t wash!
  4. General experiences from people who’ve done similar.
Cheers.

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I'd suggest that you'd probably be better off having the conversation now about your intent to terminate with your HQ.

In corporate speak, all you need to say is that due to your intention to terminate next year, you don't want to deprive another soldier of a promotion which they can build on for the benefit of the unit, etc.

Integrity, they'll love it.

..... Maybe.

For push back, I've seen some people get fucked over but they were scrotes. When I terminated on short notice I found myself getting sent away a lot more to cover training, exercises or ranges but that made sense - you get no benefit from doing those, you're admin and DS, so why waste a soldier who could use the training, etc to do it?

I'd suggest that you'd probably be better off having the conversation now about your intent to terminate with your HQ.

In corporate speak, all you need to say is that due to your intention to terminate next year, you don't want to deprive another soldier of a promotion which they can build on for the benefit of the unit, etc.

Integrity, they'll love it.

..... Maybe.

For push back, I've seen some people get fucked over but they were scrotes. When I terminated on short notice I found myself getting sent away a lot more to cover training, exercises or ranges but that made sense - you get no benefit from doing those, you're admin and DS, so why waste a soldier who could use the training, etc to do it?
Mega. My immediate line manager is aware and is supportive of my plans as at the end of the day, he gets a competent tradesman in his troop for a bit longer so he’s happy enough.

I see the problem arising when it reaches up to HQ level so i’ll probably do what you suggest and have a bit of a chat with someone during the week just to tip them off so it’s not a surprise when the board comes out and I’m trying to reject it.

There is a DIN about promotion. It covers things like asking not to be considered, reverting to lower rank at own request and the like. Go and see your boss and explain things to him or her. They may be sympathetic and look to help you reach a solution that suits you and the organisation, but frankly ARRSE is not hte best place for helpful advice.

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
but frankly ARRSE is not hte best place for helpful advice.
I think you'll find there are hundreds of soldiers who have made life changing decisions based on the wisdom of arrse.

For most of them, their prison sentence should be finishing soon.

I think you'll find there are hundreds of soldiers who have made life changing decisions based on the wisdom of arrse.

For most of them, their prison sentence should be finishing soon.
I wonder when Biped is getting out.

Evening all,

I’ve been tipped off that I’m extremely likely to come off an upcoming promotion board. Promotion would definitely entail posting out but due to my personal circumstances (nothing welfare-y, just settled in the area and comfortable) I do not want to do this.

I am certain that I’m submitting my NTT early next year after I sort a few things out in the meantime so promotion would be pointless anyway and posting out would make resettlement 100x more of a faff. My posting isn’t up for another few years anyway so it wouldn’t entail asking for an extension etc. In theory I could defer and just carry on as normal.

Essentially, my plan is to defer (reject) my promotion. I’ve been led to believe this is fairly easy these days depending on who you ask but I’m wondering:

1. How much pushback will I face from my CoC?
  2. Can APC or my capbadge desk “force” me to promote against my will?
  3. How do I sell this in corporate speak? “I’m threaders and signing off anyway” won’t wash!
  4. General experiences from people who’ve done similar.
Cheers.
Anything you can do to save needless admin by APC will be seen favourably, just as long as the get to find out in advance. I’m going through this with one of my colleagues who received a short notice assignment. I’ve never trusted the RCMO function so spoke to APC directly. They asked why they hadn’t been informed of the intention to sign off. Make of that what you will but had they known it would have saved a lot of effort.

Latest Threads