Defensive/practical Handgun And Rifle Training

Just a brief report that will no doubt be supplemented by Mongo in his proper AAR about his joining JJHJr. And me at a 4 day Defensive Handgun Course and a 4 Day Practical Rifle course at a large firearms training school in the western US.

We just finished the handgun course and Mongo did ARRSE proud getting a Graduate award for his performance on the final skills test that tested both shooting skills as well as gun handling skills--all under extreme time pressure. He used a Glock 17 and we shot about 600 rds each over the 4 days. Attached is his target for an exercise in taking head shots on hostage takers where the staff has each shooter write the name of someone important to the shooter to represent the hostage and the shooters then must deliver precision head shots to neutralize the bad guys. Note the name he chose.

Tomorrow we start the 4 day Practical Rifle Course where all 3 of us will be using 5.56 AR15s (JJHJr and I will be using short stroke piston guns that I built while Mongo will be using a direct gas impingement platform (S&W M&P M4) , all with optics and iron sights. We will expend 400 rds each over the 4 days so it should be great fun for all.

Watch for his more detailed AAR.

.View attachment 155291

Attachments

Last edited:

Quaker

War Hero
If you are telling this story to make me feel jealous - it's working!

Sounds like you're having some fun whilst practicing/learning some good skills.

A picture of your AR15's that you built would be nice.

Have fun.

Q.

Here is a picture from the rifle course.The rifle was built by me using a Spike's lower receiver with tuned combat trigger, ambidextrous controls as I am a left handed shooter, Adams Arms piston upper with an Advanced Armament M4-2000 titanium suppressor, Troy BUIS and Leupold VX-R Patrol 1X4 scope on a QD mount. Stock is a Magpul UBR.

Also attached is a picture of our intrepid Mongo in the middle of an exercise involving firing from behind a barrier from various positions designated "rapid fire" style by the rangemaster at steel targets downrange---quite fun for all.

At rifle range at Front Sight cropped.jpg

Mongo at Barrier.jpg

Last edited:
Is that in Pahrump?

About 20 miles from there in the middle of nowhere

Gotcha - I ride motorcycles out there at the motorsports ranch. I have heard good stuff about Frontsight - my buddy is a member. I hope to get out there sometime.

Here is the other rifle--Molon Labe forged lower receiver, tuned combat trigger, Adams Arms M4 piston upper, Troy BUIS, Burris AR 1X4 scope on QD release, Advanced Armament Muzzle Brake for mounting M4-2000 suppressor, Daniel Defense furniture.

Molon Labe AR.jpg

As Mongo will attest, it is the "Disneyworld" for shooting all platforms from handguns to subguns and M16s.

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
Just a brief report that will no doubt be supplemented by Mongo in his proper AAR about his joining JJHJr. And me at a 4 day Defensive Handgun Course and a 4 Day Practical Rifle course at a large firearms training school in the western US.

We just finished the handgun course and Mongo did ARRSE proud getting a Graduate award for his performance on the final skills test that tested both shooting skills as well as gun handling skills--all under extreme time pressure. He used a Glock 17 and we shot about 600 rds each over the 4 days. Attached is his target for an exercise in taking head shots on hostage takers where the staff has each shooter write the name of someone important to the shooter to represent the hostage and the shooters then must deliver precision head shots to neutralize the bad guys. Note the name he chose.

Tomorrow we start the 4 day Practical Rifle Course where all 3 of us will be using 5.56 AR15s (JJHJr and I will be using short stroke piston guns that I built while Mongo will be using a direct gas impingement platform (S&W M&P M4) , all with optics and iron sights. We will expend 400 rds each over the 4 days so it should be great fun for all.

Watch for his more detailed AAR.

.View attachment 155291
Exxxcuse me uncle jesse but I trust the coloured gentlemen standing so close to her majesty had been properly vetted, washed and polished before being presented.

do they have names?

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
those targets look a bit far away for traditional US marksmanship - isn't the drill to call in some arty and fast air :)

those targets look a bit far away for traditional US marksmanship - isn't the drill to call in some arty and fast air :)
I suppose so because we have such things (at least before the current unsustainable budget cuts) in comparison to some of our allies. ;)

Those piston ARs strike me as just about perfect given a 6.5 - 7mm round doing 2900 with a 100 grain bullet but I still think 5.56 too light and 7.62 is too inefficient.

Those piston ARs strike me as just about perfect given a 6.5 - 7mm round doing 2900 with a 100 grain bullet but I still think 5.56 too light and 7.62 is too inefficient.
Ahh, then you need a .50 Beowolf!

Attachments

I don't disagree and am not a particular fan of the 5.56x45 but am too cheap to buy a 6.5 due to the ammo cost and I do like to shoot!

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
I suppose so because we have such things (at least before the current unsustainable budget cuts) in comparison to some of our allies. ;)
aaaawww now that hurts uncle jesse.

still could be worse look who else could have won.

Quaker

War Hero
A couple of nice looking rifles there JJH especially the first one.

I'm not the greatest authority but have to agree with Ex-Stab that a piston AR with 6.5mm sounds like a perfect combination.

I have heard that all ammo has shot up (pun intended) in price, even .22LR, over there but how much more is 6.5 over 5.56 (.223)? Just curious.

Q.

A couple of nice looking rifles there JJH especially the first one.

I'm not the greatest authority but have to agree with Ex-Stab that a piston AR with 6.5mm sounds like a perfect combination.

I have heard that all ammo has shot up (pun intended) in price, even .22LR, over there but how much more is 6.5 over 5.56 (.223)? Just curious.

Q.
Even though literally brand new (only about 25 zeroing shots before the course) the rifles ran flawlessly for the entire rifle course with the only stoppages being shooter-induced (me) due to the thumb of my right support hand drifting over the ejection port and causing a failure to eject that then got really ugly with immediate action to clear the Type 2 FTE (tap, tug rack/flip) then causing a Type 2 double feed that ruined several times strings of fire for me.

The best thing about the rifles however was when I got home and broke them down for cleaning (each having shot about 400 rounds) the lower receiver groups of each were just about perfectly clean with only the original lubricant to clean. This was true even of the suppressed rifle that would have really fouled the entire receiver if it had been direct gas impingement.

As for ammo, the prices have really gone up over the last 18 months and availability is very sketchy except perhaps for the SovBloc steel ammo that really is dirty and pretty inaccurate relative to western made counterparts and also cannot be used at many ranges due to the steel core or jacket of the bullet. In the last year or so, .22LR has been virtually impossible to get at any price but when it does become available it is many times near the cost of centerfire ammo. As for availability of 6.5 vs. 5.56/.223 I have not seen the 6.5 more than the others and it is still about 25-40% more expensive usually.

Last edited:

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
I didn't realise you were sinister JJH

Latest Threads