Defensive military only for Wales?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/7097783.stm

Amongst the crap being sprouted by Plaid Cymru, my favourite is that Wales should withdraw from NATO and "Plaid should be committed to purely defensive armaments with existing military infrastructure under Welsh control with a chain of command answerable to the Welsh Parliament."

Do ARRSERS think that means a Magiont Line type border, or something a bit more esoteric?

Suggestions welcome... :twisted:

Biped

LE
Book Reviewer
Well, I like the idea myself. They can downsize their forces to meet every conceivable threat, such as having farmers with shotguns and 'barbed wire' fences to stop sheep rustlers. Should be pretty cheap to do. I like their thinking on this.

cpunk

LE
As a Welshman, living as a sleeper agent in the heart of London, I've been briefed on the plans. Essentially, thousands of genetically modified sheep are to be fitted with claymore mines and set to patrol TAIs in the border areas, under the command of specially selected militarised Border Collies who have been through an intensive training course at St Athan. At the approach of any potential hostiles (English second home buyers etc), the Collies will herd the sheep into formation as mobile killing zones, wreaking havoc on the hapless invaders. Clever huh?

Biped

LE
Book Reviewer
I did here tell that they have other plans too, and these have been in progress for some time, namely road signs and printed documents. They have taken their lessons from the defence of Britain circa WW2 in which it was decided to remove all road signs to confuse the enemy, but they have advanced it somewhat.

They are now producing road signs, printed material and even SPEAKING in unintelligable gibberish. It's a war winner I tell you!

Biped said:
I did here tell that they have other plans too, and these have been in progress for some time, namely road signs and printed documents. They have taken their lessons from the defence of Britain circa WW2 in which it was decided to remove all road signs to confuse the enemy, but they have advanced it somewhat.

They are now producing road signs, printed material and even SPEAKING in unintelligable gibberish. It's a war winner I tell you!
They will have elastictrickery next, I hear.

sounds a but too much like the shyte spouted by the nationist "government" up in my home land,
utter tosh and its about time we quelled these rebelious voices once and for all, one Britian forever, united we stand and all that

Hairy-Sporran said:
sounds a but too much like the shyte spouted by the nationist "government" up in my home land,
utter tosh and its about time we quelled these rebelious voices once and for all, one Britian forever, united we stand and all that
Absofeckinglutely.

As the Welsh didn't vote for a devolved parliament, simply a national assembly, (in fact almost 80% voted against) I don't think these idiots have any mandate whatsoever to come up with idiotic proposals like this. Don't they realise that they have to have years of experience in the House of Commons before they are even allowed to voice stupid opinions? The MPs at Westminster have this down to a fine art simply because they have so much practice in spouting such utter garbage. Or maybe they're hoping they will get invaded and the conquering nation will have to subsidise the total lack of industry now present there. Nice little earner, I suppose. Bet the Kinnocks manage to jump on that gravy train.

cpunk said:
As a Welshman, living as a sleeper agent in the heart of London, I've been briefed on the plans. Essentially, thousands of genetically modified sheep are to be fitted with claymore mines and set to patrol TAIs in the border areas, under the command of specially selected militarised Border Collies who have been through an intensive training course at St Athan. At the approach of any potential hostiles (English second home buyers etc), the Collies will herd the sheep into formation as mobile killing zones, wreaking havoc on the hapless invaders. Clever huh?
So would the sheep then become Suicide Baamers?

We needn't fear the Ewe-icide bombers...already at Porton Down they have developed a strain of sheep-born gonorrhea so virulent that even MDN would think twice before taking a risk...Added to "bomb-stopper" rubber bones for the collies and it will be another walkover. Its all laid out on the Armynet - Project GLENDOWER I think. Ooops, now I've leeked it.

I'll get my comedy merchydd woman's shawl...

I've heard that the technical term for the danger area posed by Sheep Borne Explosive Devices (SBED) is the bleaten zone.

The nascent Welsh military should make use of all assets and get themselves down to Haverford West for there are some rough burds there who love scrapping. When the forces of the Isle of Man come rampaging down the Irish sea they'll be ready for them.

Wales - a lovely country with more than a fair share of village idiots in power. Going it alone and being neutral? Not exactly Switzerland is it on the economy front. Supported by English dosh, english tourism and english 2nd home owners.

Export your chav politicos to Cuba, they'll fit right in..

px4llp said:
Invade? Why?
Because we have collective "Rhodesorphism".
Its a compulsive-colonisation disorder. England has suffered from it for over 1000 years. Apparently its genetic, though not everybody gets it. We see it, we simple must colonise it, whether it be something as big as Australia or as small as Magaluf. Its a medical disorder so we shouldnt be held accountable really. In fact we should probably get UN aid.
So Wales becoming independent again? :? :roll: :x :twisted: .... must...roll....tanks...across border.

Consider the background of the lady bleating (sorry) on.

MEP = Nonentity hoping to be a 'real' snout in the trough one day. Find me one person who could name their MEP who isn't involved themselves in politics.

Chair of Welsh branch of CND = Wales not being noted for it's Trident bases. And CND isn't exactly in the headlines these days is it?

Find a 'cause', get your mug in the meeja, and advance yourself up the stellar career path of Plaid Cymru. "Look at ME, I'm so radical and independant, can you find me a nice safe seat somewhere, pleeaase"

Ooh and a quoty bit from the Beeb:

"Her view was backed by Anna Jane Evans, a Plaid member and a member of Arfon Peace Group, who told BBC Radio Wales the party and Wales' peace groups had been "caught napping" over the creation of the St Athan centre.

Anna Jane Evans said: "This has come under the carpet without any debate within the Welsh assembly.

"It think it [St Athan] should be stopped until we have a full explanation of who the investors are, what their priorities are, who they're answerable to and who is going to be trained there."

By Jove, she's on to the real truth - it's being funded by giant space-lizards, intending to take over the planet and enslave us all, and will secretly train McDonalds burger flippers and overseas call-centre staff to be slightly less annoying...

Z

Zarathustra

But on the plus side, would they stop us from using Brecon? If so sounds like they're onto a winner