Defensive gear for splitarses

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Koschei, Dec 15, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. A young female friend of mine had a bit of a nasty situation on the train to work earlier this week. Without going into too much detail, she was trapped in the last carriage with a man who wouldn't stop harassing her. Just as it started to look as if it would take a turn for the worse the train stopped, people got on and she kicked up enough of a fuss that he got off in a hurry. The whole experience has scared the poor kid rigid - she's terrified of going anywhere on her own and she's been begging me to get her a small pepperspray or something similar.

I used to be able to get my hands on that sort of kit quite easily, but that was before the powers that be decided to classify defensive sprays as firearms and to be perfectly honest I wouldn't even know where to begin looking for one. Is there anyone out there who can recommend something (preferably legal, but I don't think she's too fussed - she'd rather have a little bit of legal unpleasantness than the alternative)? Sprays, brass knucks, sawn-off pool cues, BFO knives - I'm open to any and all suggestions.

2. A Pava or CS spray is classed as a Section 5 firearm and unlawful possession carrys the distinct risk of a custodial sentance upon conviction. A little bit of legal unpleasantness does not come into it. She should purchase a panic alarm - there are plenty to choose from. They are effective and, what is more, legal. Has she reported this incident to her local constabulary/BTP - they might be interested... Today's persistent harrasser of young women can easily become tomorrow's rapist of young women.

3. Keeping it within the boundaries of said law, an alarm isn't much use to her if shes in a train carriage on her own. Well, not unless it's big and club-like.... I'd rather my missus faced the law, than some Cnut attack her. But that's my opinion.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Fang_Farrier

Fang_Farrier LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

I'm lead to belive that even ordinary perfume, deoderant type stuff, stings a far bit when sprayed into the eyes, not as effective in the roll-on type variety!

• Like Like x 3
  5. Gastronomic chilli/pepper spray, very effective on mad mutts on my paper round!

" we were planning on chilli con carni tonight officer, and i had this on my person, luckily"

• Like Like x 2
  6. I believe that all Section 5 Firearms are subject to a mandatory five year custodial sentence. So if she gets CS Spray it will be treated as seriously as if she had one of these:

Edited to say: Well not quite one of these. It seems to be a BB Gun but you get the picture. Perhaps a small Maglite in the handbag might provide a useful little weapon if push came to shove.

Attached Files:

7. Whats the law on asps/Batons. i have one. For um fun

8. Yes, but I think they're only effective for shock effect (to buy some time to get away), because the stinging in the eyes don't last long. It also pisses people off good time, so I don't recommend it unless she can get herself away from a nasty guy quickly afterwards.

Self defense courses are probably better, legal and more effective.

9. As well as any of the above perhaps she may consider not sitting in the last carriage from now on?

10. ehwhat

ehwhat Old-Salt Book Reviewer

Perverts on trains is a serious issue. One should always report any instance of harassment, groping etc.

If personal safety is the issue then, you should step away from the oven cleaner. It will work, but will also be impossible to explain. Custodial care will introduce her to an entirely new set of problems in terms of harassment.

What I would suggest is the older version of hair spray. The more modern versions are worthless for protection. Only go for the older version suitable for producing an impervious helmet. The active ingredient in the older style is often a derivative of an acrylic copolymer. This is a relative of the fast acting "crazy" style adhesives. Sprayed directly in the eyes it will not only sting, but can temporarily glue him blind. No one thinks twice of a women carrying a small container of hair spray.

Just remember that any carry item is only meant to aid escape. Spray and run is the order of the day. You do not ever want to go toe to toe with an animal if you can avoid it.

• Like Like x 2
  11. 9 out of 10 statistics are made up on the spot so I'll guess and say a sh1t load of people who carry weapons for their own self defence end up on the receiving end of them when faced with a determined attack.

• Like Like x 2
  12. There a number of everyday objects that can make effective weapons, a longish pencil or the handle of a comb. Plus of course the pointy bits of various ladies shoes, I have seen some interesting photos of what can be done with those. The problem with various sprays (legal) is that they only work close up, at that point nails and teeth can be quite effective. But whatever she carries in the way of "tools" she must be capable of and determined to use them.

• Like Like x 2