Defense sector warns of Chinese laser-cannon threat

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by msr, Dec 22, 2003.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. msr

msr LE

China has successfully developed a laser cannon with a range of over 100km and might have already deployed it in Fujian Province facing Taiwan, defense sources said yesterday.

Intelligence shows that the laser cannon might be able to paralyze the command and control systems of the military which are concentrated in the western parts of the country.
  2. It is interesting to note that the Taiwan military seem to use this as an excuse for increased defence spending.

I'm no techie, but I would be very surprised if this were true. Especially when they have only just got a man into space.
  3. Unknown_Quantity

Unknown_Quantity War Hero Moderator

The fact that the chinese only recently put a man in space is not really the main issue for defence anylists, the fact that they did it with no known serious technical errors is far more significant.

The americans, europeans and russians have all had shaky experiences with space missions. If the chinese can do it first time, without hicups then maybe we've been underestimating them.
  4. 100Km, huh! Neat trick if they can also make a laser bend to follow the curvature of the Earth. Far as I can recall lasers were supposed tobe a line of sight doodad. I'm not quite certain what the eyeline distance is at sea level, but I'm pretty sure the horizon drops off somewhere short of 8-10 km; correct me if I'm wrong. Beam dispersion/atmospheric scattering over 100km might a bit of a problem, too. Nevertheless, we wait to be amazed. Damned clever, these Chinese.
  5. and frightening if they decide to conquer the world , we would have a job stopping them
  6. Do we, Did we not have a laser weapon on some of our ships?

I remember reading a report in Jane's Defence, years after the Falklands conflict. Showing a grainy picture of the Navy's Secret dazzle weapon. Stating that it had been used to well , dazzle the pilots of incoming bombers.

Also the SPAMS have that great big laser on the back of a 747.
  7. Hey Vespa get rid of the cut andpaste with the oak leaves :!:
    if you dont know what its for, its something very special on ARRSE and if you have done it I apologise but why doesnt it show under your nickname :?:
  8. :?: whats your beef ? you seemed to be riding my ass :roll: for example in the ACF forum, now here, i have never been confrontational on this website, im not a fruitloop or C-in-G,this is only the internet, not real life, i've have never worn a gong i was never entitled to wear in real life, this is only a bit of fun and an information exchange point, i have never claimed to be SAS or SEAL or Blondbint Special Squad :? ,you need to chill..........

9. My beef is you obviously do not know what the oak leave is for that members are wearing I said if you did(and had done the required for it ) I apologise,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, so why dont you find out what its for and then you can apologise for being a right tw*t.......

apologise to everyone on this christmas day except Vespa right now who is a wannabe :lol:
  10. well for the record an oak leaf in real life is for mention in despaches, and this is not real life and i've not noticed anybody saying owt to me especially the mods, but if it turns you on i will take it off, woopee do! etc etc :roll:

11. Well done now get it back,by earning it the correct way, if you recall in my original thread , I asked if you knew why it was special to ARRSE members. I know in real life what an oak leaf is duh :? ............. joking is joking and all the medal envy and joking that went on not a proplem stick yourself 150 up there if it gives you a hard on .............. but please research and find the reason I asked you to take it off................ I know a mod said nothing, maybe not seen yet ............ I just thought in this case it was distatestful what you were doing I havent seen any others do it yet only those legitematley entitled to have them under there nickname ..geez even BB is allowed one , and rightly so ............. now go and research and when you find out what it is come back and tell me you would not have done the same as I .
  12. For those who might not be aware that this thread is about Chinese Laser weapons
  13. LOL :oops: absolutely correct my utmost apologies.
  14. tell you the truth if i was a squaddie on the front line, i wouldn't give a flying poo for medals as i would just be glad to get through in one piece with all my limbs and body intact, any VC or any operational top gong is about as much use as tits on a fish if i am crippled, blind and in a wheelchair, having said that i wouldn't hesitate to jump in to save my mates etc etc , i just wouldn't chase medels for its own sake.