Defense of the Realm: Britains Armed Forces Crisis Read mo

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Group_Captain_Mandrake, Apr 11, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Andy_S

Andy_S LE Book Reviewer

Excellent article: Well written, widely sourced.

Some good news in there too. Officer cadets can't wait to deploy, recruiting is at a high. Conclusion: The nation does not deserve its Armed Force. Discuss.

2. Not much new in there, I think we all know that the British Armed Forces would fight with sticks, fists and stones for Queen and Country (Which means one's friends, family, comrades and every freedom that has been fought for through the ages against more enemies than I can count)

One very good point is that the current Government, along with being painfully inept, corrupt and a disgrace to the fighting men and women they control, they also have little to no military experience and not only that but many of the current Government were Communist sympathizers during the Cold War that tried to undermine the nation and the establishment.

Compare that to the late former MP William Whitelaw, Deputy Prime Minister under Thatcher in the 80's. He served in Northwest Europe in 1944-45 and received the Military Cross for his actions. I was only born in the mid 80's and without further research I can't say much about William Whitelaw the Politician and Statesmen but with a war record like that, and whose father was killed during The Great War, I know who I'd rather have seated in the Government.

3. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Lord Healy had a good war record as did Stansgate and while both would be preferable to Brown and his cronies I would not want either of them in power again.

Previous service may mean that people have the values of integrity, loyalty and courage that we value but it does not necessarily mean that they will make the right decisions.

4. Andy_S, I would rephrase that - the nation deserves it's armed forces, as we are of the nation. Look at Wooton Bassett, the majority of homecoming parades etc.

However, I don't think our current government deserve us in the slightest.

5. msr

msr LE

I thought Sandhurst entry had been running under strength for quite some time...

msr

6. Given the deficit, the tax averse British voters appreciative but relatively careless attitude to the armed services and a persistently vain glorious approach to international affairs by Britain's rulers getting "let down" is unfortunately likely.

One thing to be said for the Tories: like Barry across the pond they really don't have the painful political investment in our recent wars that New Labor has made. Carping from the sidelines has established a posture. They've noticed the war chest is empty. They may well seek to pull the UK's over extended neck in and be more cautious than the liberal interventionist Blairista tendency.

7. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

I once posted a comparisam on here between Thatchers Falklands Cabinet and Blairs "War" cabinet that took us into Iraq

Almost all the males in Tatchers cabinet had served (as had her husband Denis) either in the war outr like Tebbit RAF and Hesliltine Army some sort of National service

None in Blairs had

Although to keep it balenced and to save Whet /Sven /Ashie coming onto the thread it was a different era so alot of blokes had done N.S.

8. Good points both;
    Well said!

9. DEFENCE