Defense Dept. Briefing with U.K. Royal Marine Robert Fry

I hate asking this but.....how come he's got 3 stars on his collar as wellas his other gubbins on his shoulders? Spam recognition perhaps?

NEO_CON said:
His assesment of the sisuation in Basra was new to me.
Open your eyes and ears and you'll find there's a hell of alot new to you out there!

Taz_786 said:
Since when did the 3* rank reappear in the RM?
The most senior job dedicated to the RM is only a Maj Gen's post, but he is in a Joint Post (Deputy Chief of Defence Staff) which can rotate between services allowing him to be promoted. There is potential for the Chief of the Naval Staff (4*) to be a RM or even CDS (4*), although unlikely.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Solon_of_Athens said:
Taz_786 said:
The most senior job dedicated to the RM is only a Maj Gen's post, but he is in a Joint Post (Deputy Chief of Defence Staff) which can rotate between services allowing him to be promoted. There is potential for the Chief of the Naval Staff (4*) to be a RM or even CDS (4*), although unlikely.
uh-huh...CGRM is Senior Booty.......so who gets to be " Captain General" when Phil the Greek croaks then ? :?

Solon_of_Athens said:
Taz_786 said:
They should. It would bring a lot of experience from someone who has a great understanding of both naval and ground under one hat.

who should be Captain General post Phil the Greek.....

Prince Edward obviously!

Well spoken and thoughtful presentation.

This quote at 21:30 minutes in must have caused some consternation among several regulars on this board:

We have absolutely nothing to teach the American army whatsoever. The American Army I see today is highly competent in counter-insurgency techniques and the slightly separate military discipline of counter-terrorist techniques. I think there maybe could have been a time we could have given you some advice about procedure, about doctrines and about specific technologies but I think those days are gone. I think, as it stands today there is no difference between the quality of operations the American Army produces in Iraq and those that the British Army produces.

The reporters seem to give him a lot more respect and fewer challenges then they usually do to American generals. I wonder if it's the Brit upper-class (is it?) accent that seems to have partially wowed them.

FFBox said:
I hate asking this but.....how come he's got 3 stars on his collar as wellas his other gubbins on his shoulders? Spam recognition perhaps?
Nothing new, in WWI officers in the RND used to wear naval lace on their sleeves and army pips on their shoulders.

Virgil said:
The reporters seem to give him a lot more respect and fewer challenges then they usually do to American generals. I wonder if it's the Brit upper-class (is it?) accent that seems to have partially wowed them.
Well, it sounded like some of the people had been embedded with British troops and had quite a bit of respect for them. Also, I think they're a more sincere crowd. Usually you get a lot of "maverick" reporters (opinionated, agenda toting egotists) going to American generals for the "big story". They had actual questions, and weren't demanding a particular answer.

However that one "what useful contribution has the british military brought to this" guy was being a jackass

For those that might not know who this person is.

Gen Fry is one of the most respected officers currently serving at the top of the shop. Cut out all the crap about whether he is a Marine 3 star or whatever, this guy is the dogs, and brings a level of insight and analysis to the Iraq theatre that is sadly lacking.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
alfred_the_great said:
who should be Captain General post Phil the Greek.....

Prince Edward obviously!
Nuh-Uh....don't think so...the buzz at Lympestone was that he whilst he could hack the fizz side pretty well....it was being relentlessly addressed as " Your Royal F%ck-Face" that soured him on the Corps..... :lol:

Maybe it is time to wrest the post of Captain General back to a serving Marine.....

Lee Shaver

I'm a bit fuzzy on the protocol side but doesn't a RM Major General have equivalent rank with a Lt General of the Army persuasion? There's that thing about RM field rank officers having a rank equivalency higher than they appear to have "afloat" but I am a long way from it all and it is a mere nagging snippet of inter-service trivia. Maybe a real Marine can comment?

Also Captain General is not a serving rank, it is an honorary colonel Commandant type position - so whoever comes after Phil the Greek will be a royal. Now which naval royal personage has a cabbage hat? Oh yes, Prince Andrew! The bookies probably wouldn't take a bet on that...

oldbaldy

LE
chimera said:
For those that might not know who this person is.

Gen Fry is one of the most respected officers currently serving at the top of the shop. Cut out all the crap about whether he is a Marine 3 star or whatever, this guy is the dogs, and brings a level of insight and analysis to the Iraq theatre that is sadly lacking.
God I used to play rugby with Rob Fry in 41 Commando. A good egg even in those days.