Defender pissing oil out the top of the G/B

Discussion in 'Cars, Bikes 'n AFVs' started by TheIronDuke, Apr 7, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

My Defender is pissing oil out the top of the gearbox. I think this can only be the gasket on the selector box. Because there is nothing else up there that can piss oil.

Can I fix that through the top by ripping off the gear shift rubber? Or do I have to drop the box? Which, lets face it, is a ******* hassle.

Any advice welcome. I'd go on the Landy forums and ask, but frankly those people scare me.

2. i'd say its probably broke mate!

3. TheIronDuke

Yeah. Not quite what you said when you PM'ed me with "You can piss oil all over my tits then curl one out on my chest Lovely Iron Duke" was it?

Park yourself Babes and have a moment. Men are talking about important things here. Get yourself a packet of Quavers. Stick it on my tab. Daddy loves you. xxx

So, can I do the selector box gasket from the top. Or what?

4. Can i have Wotsits? Quavers are YAK

5. You people never listen to my advice about Land rovers. They break, they leak, they are a drain on resources, they are underpowered.
    You start at one end replace everything and smugly think nothing else can go wrong, then you start again.

6. blocked breather i'd say

7. TheIronDuke

Sit over there with Dad. Birds. Jesus.

That makes sense. Where precisely is the breather? I thought the G/B was a sealed unit?

8. TheIronDuke

Communist.

9. Can't remember, i know work on armour so my squat meching is behind me. but i remember having the fault on a TUM and it was the breather.

It needs a breather to allow for expansion of the oil etc, and to allow gases to well gass off.

try asking on the REME page ask for help from squat mechs, you will get abuse but they may just help.

10. TheIronDuke

Cheers. Breather pipe located and replaced. Now leaking engine oil from a coflexip on the manifold side at the bottom of the engine. Jesus. Does it never end?

• Like Like x 1
  11. Nope

Its a Land Rover, what do you expect?

12. Leaks are good, it means there is still stuff in it....

13. TheIronDuke

Yeah. Thanks. In other news, the Sov breezed throught the MOT today. They asked me if I planned on keeping the beast so I said "Dunno". Expecting the worst.

They said it is one of the best examples of a V8 Sov they have seen. And I should keep it in good nick. I was thrilled until I realised...

They are a garage. So they would say that, wouldnt they? You just cant win with motors, can you?

14. Well I feel that I had a result with my last bit of Discovery-pokery. Including a free baseball cap! to no doubt make me forget the imminent danger of becoming a crispy crittur that I had blithely been ignorant off...

Touch wood the MG is doing nicely too - especially at the weekend when the roof was down, down, down! One of the mums at the Fenianette's school normally has either ignored me pointedly or given me her Padington Bear hard stare, as presumably she considers whether death or penal servitude would be appropriate for me. Seeing me all macho and full of elan in my red chariot of sport, she came all over girlish and no doubt ejaculated some lady pre-cum in her gusset. She giggled her annoying giggle and gushed about how she would love a ride in it. The way she was oozing, wet as an otter's pocket the skinny blonde tart, I though If this ever happened then thank heavens for leather seats...

15. At least with a Land Rover you know when it has run out of oil, it's stopped leaking. :)