• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Defender out, new Landy in....

The question is, where does this leave HM Government? I assume (from no knowledge) that we've been buying D90's and 110's for years now as older ones wear out, and replacing them with new-ish.... so when LR-Jaguar phase out the Defender in favour of this Redirect Notice

where will we be? Will LR keep a military defender line running alongside for us, or did we stop buying the things years ago.. and if so, with the replacement parts line dying up, will we need a new utility vehicle?

And if we DO need a new one, where should we go? Get all UN and begin to buy Landrovers??

The question is, where does this leave HM Government? I assume (from no knowledge) that we've been buying D90's and 110's for years now as older ones wear out, and replacing them with new-ish.... so when LR-Jaguar phase out the Defender in favour of this Redirect Notice

where will we be? Will LR keep a military defender line running alongside for us, or did we stop buying the things years ago.. and if so, with the replacement parts line dying up, will we need a new utility vehicle?

And if we DO need a new one, where should we go? Get all UN and begin to buy Landrovers??

Don't worry, the OUVS project will sort all of this out...

Oh wait, maybe not.

Short answer is that Land Rover (or whoever owns them now) don't see much of a future in the 'Defender-like' market. So expect to see re-furbed 90s and 110s kicking around for some time, until someone comes up with a plan to replace the lot.

My 2 cents worth? Something like an F-250 for UK and benign environments, and a small fleet of Foxhounds (or similar) for dangerous places.

How does that thing even translate into a practical 4x4 for the types that use the current defenders farmers, construction types, the population of the falklands and the army. they've got the freelander, discovery, range rover and that new coupe for the chelsea tractor role so are they just trying to push themselves out of the market?

You will see pickup trucks in place of defenders for a lot of farmers these days. They prefer something that does the job without breaking down five times whilst doing it. :)

Don't the recruitment types already have some japanese pick up truck to look good when doing events, suppose you just put out a tender for an at home practical 4x4 for the general work while the spechalist kit goes out to the dangerous places as GB says

Don't the recruitment types already have some japanese pick up truck to look good when doing events, suppose you just put out a tender for an at home practical 4x4 for the general work while the spechalist kit goes out to the dangerous places as GB says
I bet you wave at other land rover drivers and look away from any other 4x4 on the road :)

How does that thing even translate into a practical 4x4 for the types that use the current defenders farmers, construction types, the population of the falklands and the army. they've got the freelander, discovery, range rover and that new coupe for the chelsea tractor role so are they just trying to push themselves out of the market?
Toyotas have pissed all over the Defender for years.

I think the LR replacement is supposed to be some sort of hovercraft powered by hydrogen fuel cells. On board will be robot stewards to deliver our rations-in-a-pill & jetpack refuels while we are busy fighting the Treens. Or is that FRES?

Nothing wrong with a Toyota, breaks down less often anyways. Plus you could prolly scavenge spares from countries you blokes invade. :)

Never mind their truck, can we have their rifles please?

........................My 2 cents worth? Something like an F-250 for UK and benign environments, ......................
I take it you mean the hillbilly Rolls Royce, the Ford F-250?

It used to be the case that you could use Landy spares as a type of currency in the Sahara. However, nowadays even the Bedouin has shunned the Landy in favour of the more reliable Toyota pickup.

Dunno about Toy Otter but the wifes new Nissan Navara just spent a week in the dealers while they tried to find out where all the oil had gone while also fixing the knackered fuel guage. 3200 miles on the clock. Heap of shite.

...and MoD have bought very few LR for years. Last decent sized buy was WOLF, 7000 vehicles how many years ago ? Mid life rebuild of some 110s gave us TITHONUS - and even some of them have been sold off as surplus. Most of the Defender fleet must be 20 years old. I doubt JLR are waiting on the call, they have a waiting list 6 months long for the Evoque.

Latest Threads