Defence spending

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Livin_on_a_prayer, Mar 13, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Article

A good peice of journalism outling the the dangers of cutting defence spending. The governments negligence and ignorrance when it comes to defence spening really scares me. This government continues to deploy our forces all over the world, pushing them to their limits, and then undertakes defence cuts and downsizing. While various nations all around the world like china, russia, n.korea, iran ect ect are rearming and throwing loads of money and resources into defence. The cold war may be over but if we've learnt anything from history, its that the world is NEVER safe, who knows what the future holds. We need trident and we need significant increases into defence spending to support our overstetched armed forces. The thing is, the governement may be supplying enough money, but its being absorbed by the operations in iraq and afganistan and trident. While the future of our armed forces is being ignored. We need more money to compensate this.
    Very few are speaking out against this and when they do the government ignores them. It really angers and saddens me to see my country battered and bruised by this government. Lets wait and see what the next budget holds..
  2. This kind of crap puts me in a mood where everything else then pisses me off - including ARRSE. I mean, what sort of pish is this?

More serisouly, this whole topic smacks of the Ten Year Rule, with the added insult that we are actively involved in a operations on a global scale now, before we even look forward to the rise of the East, or the resurgence of Russia as an energy rich world power.

Who the **** are these people? and more to the point, if we can sit here knowing this stuff whilst we're at work and otherwise engaged with more pressing matters, why can't those who we're paying to sort it out, work it out?