• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Defence Secretary Des Browne fighting to keep his job in r

#1
Des Browne 'fighting to keep his job' in reshuffle

Telegraph online 25 Jul 08:

Mr Browne has been criticised since he took the job in Mr Brown's first Cabinet because he is combining it with the position of Secretary of State for Scotland.

David Cameron has warned the Prime Minister that Britain needs a full time as Defence Secretary when the armed forces are fighting wars in both Iraq and Afghanistan.

Mr Brown is considering a reshuffle this autumn, before his party gathers for its conference in Manchester in September, in a bid to revive his flagging political fortunes.

It is understood that Mr Browne was privately assured when he agreed to take the jobs 13 months ago that he would only have to do both for one year. He has recently told friends that he would prefer to lose the Scotland job and keep Defence, but he is unlikely to be given the choice.

Instead, the favourite to succeed him as Defence Secretary is John Hutton, the Business Secretary. He is known to be keen to do the job and has an interest in the military.
He does have an interest, although I have not read the book:

Publications "Kithener's Men" - Published by Pen and Sword Publishers April 2008. The book provides a history of the training and fighting experiences of the Service and Territorial battalions of the King's Own Royal Lancasters in France during World War One. Soliders in the Kings Own Roayl Lancaster were recruited from the Furness area and the book was inspired by the stories related to John by his constituents who served in the Great War. Any proceeds from this publication will go to the British Legion
From John Hutton's Website
 

Biped

LE
Book Reviewer
#3
Fighting to keep his job? The twaaaaat doesn't know the meaning of 'fighting', hence why he should be binned forthwith, or sent to Afghanistan with a rifle to learn what it actually means.
 
#4
Biped said:
Fighting to keep his job? The twaaaaat doesn't know the meaning of 'fighting', hence why he should be binned forthwith, or sent to Afghanistan with a rifle to learn what it actually means.
Where he'd no doubt set a new record for the quickest 'fragging'!
 
#5
Biped said:
Fighting to keep his job? The twaaaaat doesn't know the meaning of 'fighting', hence why he should be binned forthwith, or sent to Afghanistan with a rifle to learn what it actually means.
Beat me to it; I was about to point out it would be the only "fighting" that cnut has ever done. :evil:
 
#6
barbs said:
Des Browne 'fighting to keep his job' in reshuffle

Telegraph online 25 Jul 08:

Mr Browne has been criticised since he took the job in Mr Brown's first Cabinet because he is combining it with the position of Secretary of State for Scotland.

David Cameron has warned the Prime Minister that Britain needs a full time as Defence Secretary when the armed forces are fighting wars in both Iraq and Afghanistan.

Mr Brown is considering a reshuffle this autumn, before his party gathers for its conference in Manchester in September, in a bid to revive his flagging political fortunes.

It is understood that Mr Browne was privately assured when he agreed to take the jobs 13 months ago that he would only have to do both for one year. He has recently told friends that he would prefer to lose the Scotland job and keep Defence, but he is unlikely to be given the choice.

Instead, the favourite to succeed him as Defence Secretary is John Hutton, the Business Secretary. He is known to be keen to do the job and has an interest in the military.
He does have an interest, although I have not read the book:

Publications "Kithener's Men" - Published by Pen and Sword Publishers April 2008. The book provides a history of the training and fighting experiences of the Service and Territorial battalions of the King's Own Royal Lancasters in France during World War One. Soliders in the Kings Own Roayl Lancaster were recruited from the Furness area and the book was inspired by the stories related to John by his constituents who served in the Great War. Any proceeds from this publication will go to the British Legion
From John Hutton's Website
John Hutton is probably the most sensible choice for the Defence job. The other very pertinent fact is that he's the constituency MP for Barrow in Furness, home to BAe Vickers. Whilst clearly a party man, he isn't quite as much of a toady as some and has the benefit of some understanding of the military.

Best of a bad lot!
 
#8
There is no suitable candidate for the soon to be vacant position of Defence Secretary, Hutton will be the same as Browne, he is one of Gordon's yes men. He would not be good for defence as he still wont represent the issues that meet the Defence Estate, and he certainly wont go against the party line in the politburo. He has a future as possible party leader ahead of him!

And by the way, if theres no more money available to spend (as Alisdair Darling suggests) what good then is a defence secretary? Didnt Des announce at the weekend that Snatch Landrovers will stay in usage in Afghanistan, and that they would simply be re-armoured as opposed to finding more armoured vehucles to do the job. I smell the sticky snot streaked mitts of the former chancellor being used to control the purse strings. Its more important to build Carriers in his constituency, than give our troops the equipment they need in Afghanistan.

The only likely improvement for us is an entirely fresh government who can take an objective view over all defence matters, and prioritise the spending of money in the correct areas.
 
#9
Werewolf said:
Biped said:
Fighting to keep his job? The twaaaaat doesn't know the meaning of 'fighting', hence why he should be binned forthwith, or sent to Afghanistan with a rifle to learn what it actually means.
Beat me to it; I was about to point out it would be the only "fighting" that cnut has ever done. :evil:
Strange one to investigate, how he was riddled with gunshot wounds; all from behind.....?
 
#10
Ninja_Turtle said:
Werewolf said:
Biped said:
Fighting to keep his job? The twaaaaat doesn't know the meaning of 'fighting', hence why he should be binned forthwith, or sent to Afghanistan with a rifle to learn what it actually means.
Beat me to it; I was about to point out it would be the only "fighting" that cnut has ever done. :evil:
Strange one to investigate, how he was riddled with gunshot wounds; all from behind.....?
And amazingly enough, the Taliban appear to have modified their AKs to fire NATO 5.56!
 
#11
psychobabble said:
John Hutton is probably the most sensible choice for the Defence job. The other very pertinent fact is that he's the constituency MP for Barrow in Furness, home to BAe Vickers. Whilst clearly a party man, he isn't quite as much of a toady as some and has the benefit of some understanding of the military.

Best of a bad lot!
I think "best of a bad lot" describes most people in government.

You know Hutton's just another lawyer and former polytechnic lecturer, right?
 
#13
chocolate_frog said:
Shouldn´t Des be fighting to keep his seat by now? If the current trend in polls continue, Labour will be lucky to form the opposition!
well i am sure with his bountiful experience of defense he could be fast track, to the sandpit as a GD man, if he is short of money or a job...
 
#14
ProfessorBob said:
psychobabble said:
John Hutton is probably the most sensible choice for the Defence job. The other very pertinent fact is that he's the constituency MP for Barrow in Furness, home to BAe Vickers. Whilst clearly a party man, he isn't quite as much of a toady as some and has the benefit of some understanding of the military.

Best of a bad lot!
I think "best of a bad lot" describes most people in government.

You know Hutton's just another lawyer and former polytechnic lecturer, right?
Absolutely, the constituency is the one next door to mine and he's always in the press. As I say at least he does actually know and appears to have a liking for the military as an institution, hence best of a bad lot!
 
#15
Put John Reid back in the slot.

Oh wait, you can't do that, he's a padbrat, loves his family military history and plainly enjoys being around the boys and girls. He also makes treasury embarrasing statements like "Where's 'ra money fae the Army eh"?

He'll never do, that's why he lasted all of 10 minutes.

Maybe TCH would like another shot at it, there's still space for one last nail.
 
#17
Ninja_Turtle said:
Werewolf said:
Biped said:
Fighting to keep his job? The twaaaaat doesn't know the meaning of 'fighting', hence why he should be binned forthwith, or sent to Afghanistan with a rifle to learn what it actually means.
Beat me to it; I was about to point out it would be the only "fighting" that cnut has ever done. :evil:
Strange one to investigate, how he was riddled with gunshot wounds; all from behind.....?
Before leaving the tarmac at Brize.
 
#19
How come the eptics get someone like Colin Powell in gov & we get damp squibs? If I was PM,One of the things I'd bring in is that the Sec of Def MUST be an ex serviceman,like Sir Dannat (Or Flashy if he's free!lol).
As far as I'm concerened,haw can you do the job if you dont understand it! And that is the problem.Civvies will NEVER understand what makes us tick.
 
#20
chocolate_frog said:
John Reid and Gen Dannett

Sounds like a team.
is it just me or have we got to the stage when we are rooting for John "without a shot being fired'Reid to come back.

Seriously he is as negligent as the rest of them, in agreeing to under resourced operations...

Liabour + defense policey= Getting Butt fcuked without even the common curtsy of a reach around.
 

Latest Threads

New Posts