Defence Secretary announces programme to replace the UK’s nuclear warhead

Defence Secretary Ben Wallace has today announced the start of a new nuclear replacement warhead programme in Parliament.

Continue reading...

Well, considering the USA announced it on his behalf last week, I guess he didn't have much choice.

I'd like to know where AWE is going to conjure up engineers and scientists to develop an indigenous warhead design that can only be tested through simulation.

This might be a bit stupid. By why do we need to replace a proven design?

Once it's launched, I can't think how you could counter it.

This might be a bit stupid. By why do we need to replace a proven design?

Once it's launched, I can't think how you could counter it.
Here's a clue.

'The Russian Aerospace Forces (VKS) tested a new upgraded version of the 53T6 Gazelle interceptor missile at the Sary-Shagan test site in Kazakhstan on November 24. The missile is one of the key components of Moscow’s Anti-Ballistic Missile defense system.

“The PRO system’s new modernized anti-rocket interceptor successfully accomplished the task, reaching the desired goal in the time allotted.” Russian Air and Space Defense Forces Col. Andrei Prikhodko said in a Russian Defense Ministry release.'

Half life, see Crusty for details.
I take it your talking about the age of the nuclear material in the warhead?

If so I meant why do we need to go through the process of designing a whole new warhead when we have a perfectly good design?

If not, I'm thick.

Here's a clue.

'The Russian Aerospace Forces (VKS) tested a new upgraded version of the 53T6 Gazelle interceptor missile at the Sary-Shagan test site in Kazakhstan on November 24. The missile is one of the key components of Moscow’s Anti-Ballistic Missile defense system.

“The PRO system’s new modernized anti-rocket interceptor successfully accomplished the task, reaching the desired goal in the time allotted.” Russian Air and Space Defense Forces Col. Andrei Prikhodko said in a Russian Defense Ministry release.'

Isn't that the whole reasoning for the MIRV warhead so at least some get through?

I thought the warheads best counter measure to interception, was the speed it plunged from the heavens at?

I know nothing about it bar a day spent learning about the arms race in GCSE History.

Isn't that the whole reasoning for the MIRV warhead so at least some get through?

I thought the warheads best counter measure to interception, was the speed it plunged from the heavens at?

I know nothing about it bar a day spent learning about the arms race in GCSE History.
These days, non-ballistic manoeuvrability, decoys and counter-measures are also handy for survivability.

These days, non-ballistic manoeuvrability, decoys and counter-measures are also handy for survivability.
Could you not just detonate one in sky and take out the enemy surface to air network or would the enemy equipment be sufficiently hardened against the EMP blast?

Probably talking shit.

Could you not just detonate one in sky and take out the enemy surface to air network or would the enemy equipment be sufficiently hardened against the EMP blast?

Probably talking shit.
'Lawyer's' answer, I'm afraid - it all depends.

What is the betting we buy an American system and fit our own spark plugs.

What is the betting we buy an American system and fit our own spark plugs.
It certainly seems so.

'Admiral Charles Richard, head of the US strategic command, told the Senate defence committee last week that the US government's next-generation W93 nuclear warhead would "support a replacement warhead programme in the United Kingdom, whose nuclear deterrent plays an absolutely vital role in NATO's overall defence posture".'

https://www.arrse.co.uk/community/threads/trident-replacement-yes-or-no.256855/page-15#post-9851051

Last edited:
It certainly seems so.

'Admiral Charles Richard, head of the US strategic command, told the Senate defence committee last week that the US government's next-generation W93 nuclear warheadwould "support a replacement warhead programme in the United Kingdom, whose nuclear deterrent plays an absolutely vital role in NATO's overall defence posture".'

https://www.arrse.co.uk/community/threads/trident-replacement-yes-or-no.256855/page-15#post-9851051
So, they will be hanging onto the ignition key.

lert

LE
Defence Secretary Ben Wallace has today announced the start of a new nuclear replacement warhead programme in Parliament.

Continue reading...
Have we only got the one then?

Why are we replacing new nuclear warheads?

Why is the programme being run in Parliament? I thought wherever the boffins are would be a better bet.

Latest Threads