Defence Secretary announces further £350m for Successor submarines

Discussion in 'MoD News' started by MoD_RSS, Oct 29, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

2. seaweed

seaweed LE Book Reviewer

Good news but the caption on the second pic has me puzzled. Nobody taught me how to check for range with a gyro repeat.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Wouldn't it be cheaper to hire replacement boats from the USA? After all we hire the Tridents from them. We could hire berth, maintenance and missile storage space from Uncle Sam as well. From time to time the boats could tie up and the crews could have a run ashore in Gib. I doubt if the locals would complain after all they want to remain British don't they?????

Just a thought can you imagine Prime Minister Boris J with his finger on the nuclear button?

4. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

Why not? Gordon Brown did.

• Like Like x 1

5. Be rather hard to sell the 'independent' bit if it was based in the US of A dontcha think?

6. You really think that we have any semblance of 'independence' on how, when and where we deploy this asset?

7. I would like to think we were in control of ours but some how I do not think so.ill bet that Uncle Sam has a on/off switch that we know sod all about.
    If they are coming to the end of their shelf life why not use them up say for arguments sake on Afghanistan we will soon find out if they work or not.

8. We should have done that with Polaris on Belfast years ago, the guidance system may also have****ed up and as a bonus Liverpool could also have gone instant sunshine

9. seaweed

seaweed LE Book Reviewer

The boat actually at sea is exclusively and directly under the control of HMG. That is the whole point of CASD, to deter a direct nuclear attack on the United Kingdom, which is the only occasion on which it would be used. The only dependency on the US is the periodic servicing of the missiles (NOT the warheads which are UK entirely). And before anyone starts any hares about alternative methods, there aren't any that would actually work in the sense of being proof against interdiction.

10. ..who would always consult with the US before firing, or even contemplating firing, any warhead.

11. I was under the impression the captains of the boats had the authority to launch incase the government happened to be blown to bits.

12. They would, but they don't have to. Pressing the button makes things go bang whether the US likes it or not.

13. Well that's the official line, but fire at what or who?

I subscribe to the theory that the envelope in the CO's safe says:

Dear Captain,

If you're reading this, Britain is a glowing radioactive puddle and I'm deader than a dead thing…
    …but so are One Direction, so look on the bright side.

Please contact the US Navy and await orders.

Yours

PM

14. To stave off independence they are trying the old tactic of giving shiny things to the natives.

Are they seriously contemplating moving ALL UK subs to Faslane, bringing 1000/4000/10,000/100,000* jobs with it?

*Select the randomly selected figure of your choice here. Or why not make up your own. Everyone else does.

15. "Which buggers did it?"

"Iran, off you go"

"Jolly good!"