Defence review may be reopened in funding crisis - report

Discussion in 'Strategic Defence & Spending Review (SDSR)' started by Bad CO, Jan 20, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Bad CO

Bad CO LE Admin Reviews Editor Gallery Guru

Oh joy!

2. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Just goes to prove that there was nothing STRATEGIC about the Review and that it has very little to to with Defence or Security.

It is purely a case of "Who cares about the Defence of the Realm? Defence is not a Government priority".

We might as well hand over defence to a public contractor.
  3. Be careful what you wish
  4. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

The SDSR did not make the really, really tough decisions that were necessary. As always happens, when faced with the massive loss of jobs that would come with real cuts - abandoning the pretend Carriers, abolishing heavy armour, scrapping all MPA, etc - the sort of thing that's needed - the politicians drew back. It doesn't matter what shade they are, all are scared of this sort of decision.

MOD is in financial chaos in-year, and as for the mid-term, that's even worse. I don't envy them the decisions that need to be made - and, this time, followed through.
  5. Its not that complicated.
    Take 10% of health and 10% off welfare and spend it on Defence. Job done.

6. Can't argue with this. The carriers in particular need to die a rapid and quick death. We've never going to use them and will just build them at huge expense so we can sell them off for peanuts at a huge loss.
  7. Even if they were scrapped right now they will still have to be paid for. I suppose that argument has been done to death on a different thread though :)
  8. 'Dear BAE, we can't afford them, we're canceling the carrier contract. If you sue us, we won't buy anything from you again, so suck it up.

9. Auld-Yin

"Dear Cameron

BAE are now your only choice in UK. Haven't we been clever? If you want to buy you will have to go abroad for the order - say goodbye to your next election!.

Yours ever

10. And the public really couldn't give a stuff if we do. We buy an aweful lot of gear in from abroad as it is and I don't see people storming the doors of Main Building demanding we 'but British'.
  11. Perhaps there should be an enquiry into why BAe has been allowed to buy up every competitor who wins an order?
  12. MrBane

MrBane War Hero Reviewer Reviews Editor

"Dear BAE

We will happily go overseas and will ensure that there is full media exposure as to how BAE have systematically destroyed the homegrown defence industry in this country, held us to ransom and are responsible for wasting taxpayers money.

We will then look very closely at your tax records, just for shits and giggles.

Big Dave"
  13. Auld-Yin

"Dear Big Dave,

I think you will find that we have bought into most of the overseas stuff as well, using the wonga that the British taxpayer has been giving us the past few decades.

Ta very much,

Yours ever gratefully

14. MrBane

MrBane War Hero Reviewer Reviews Editor

"Dear BAE

I have lunch arranged with the heads General Dynamics, Lockheed Martin and Northrop Grumman. I believe you don't see eye to eye with these firms.

Get it up you.