Defence Ministers' threat to quit in support of Dr Fox

Discussion in 'Strategic Defence & Spending Review (SDSR)' started by Strait_Jacket, Oct 10, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. From the Mail so digest with Sodium Chloride, however....

Fox's 'Three Musketeers' threaten to quit over Forces cuts in show of support for Defence chief

Losing his entire Ministerial Defence team would shatter Cameron's claim to be a supporter of the Armed Forces and be a twin blow to his personal credibility and that of his Government. If true it speaks volumes about the commitment of this new group of Ministers and begs the question, has Fox actually played a blinder? Can Cameron risk the PR disaster of mass resignation in a politically sensitive department?

2. Fox is clever.... he's putting himself in a win win situation.... if he get his way he increases his influence and credibility in the party thus making himself a future leadership contender, if he "loses" then his team resign, the coalition collapses and he emerges as a rallying point for the disappected tories who are tired of PC Dave and his Blair like lies.

3. It is just 'game play'. Not one of them is really prepared to fall on their sword.

4. There are lots of plays going on here, if there are minimal defence cuts made they have to be justified to other departments within the government and the general public.

5. FORMER_FYRDMAN

FORMER_FYRDMAN LE Book Reviewer

At least it answers 'yes' to the 'Will the Tories be any different from Labour?' thread. That said, I reckon they knew what the answer was before they made the threat; they are politicians after all.

6. I think that if there is any credability about this (it is the Mail after all) then we may be looking at a rather more positive situation than if another defence minister simply rolled over and ate the cuts.

Personally I believe that the forces are the last place that cuts should fall. As significant cuts to the defence budget will invariably mean loss of capabilities. The Budget should only make real efficiency savings and the MoD should come out of this situation with serious direction and the imperative that their budget should be spent better.