Defence Minister quits

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Adge_Cutler, Nov 7, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

Interesting to note that
    1. he is a lord
    2. his replacement is a baroness.
    I am SO glad Neue Arbeit did away with the peerages.

2. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

He's a defence minister, not because he has a particular aptitude to the task, but because he donated loads of money to Labliar, oh, and he got made a Lord.

Good riddance to the b@stard; glad to see the back of him, and I hope he stays in racing cars rather than comes back to Gobment.

3. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

But he was not only a Defence Minister - he was a part-time Defence Minister, as he was a Minister for BERR (What used to be the DTI) as well.

Fancy, a part-time Defence Minister? Who'd have thought it?

4. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

Speaking about the Le Mans racing:

Unlike running the Scottish Office, presumably...

Noted that the donor Drayson's unpaid job as defence procurement minister job has gone, on a permament and paid basis, to Baroness Ann Taylor.

5. The honourable Lord sounds like a pompous twit.

He can stick his bio-ethanol car up his backside.

Ann Taylor - another new labour cretin.

6. Misread the headline and thought it was Swiss Des..

One lives in eternal hope however....

7. Who? Never heard of him until now...

8. The mendacious replies he gave to questions about the Chinook fleet sometime ago on R4 amply illustrate he is a chateau-bottled sh1t.

9. Maybe he was in the TA as defence minister :crazy: One Parliament, one minister, full-time and part-time be depressed!! :frustrated:

10. One Tony crony being replaced by a Broone crony, only this time she will be taking the money. Drayson didn't need the money as he is worth (estim) £80 m after series of dodgy deals (see BBC links and Money Programme report)

Despite having been an MP since the early seventies, the Baroness has never been involved in Defence matters or procurement. Has never voted against her own party either.

Even her own local labour party didn't want her, hence her elevation to thse Lords. What a result!!

11. BTW, Baroness Taylor has been Chair of the statutory Intelligence and Security Committee.

12. Oddly enough , I was in a similar position to the noble lord just less than 4 years ago when I got a brown envelope from the MOD with an offer I could not refuse, asking me to turn up at RTMC, Chiwell

13. good riddance to the pompous idiot.

14. Sad loss actually - for a minister he was very good. Those who dealt with him found he brought an understanding of industry to the MOD procurement process, he was refreshing and honest - I saw him queueing alongside mere mortals for coffee in the MB canteen and being friendly to all who spoke with him. He had a good understanding of a complex brief and his loss now is simply disastorous for the MOD as a whole - with many complex procurement decisions now coming up, having to get a new minister up to speed right now is not good news.

Frankly I think the guy is an idiot for leaving and is doing the MOD a huge disservice, which cancels out his good work over the past few years.