Defence Minister and Head of the US Army sign Modernisation Agreement

Minister of the Armed Forces James Heappey and US Secretary of the Army Ryan McCarthy have signed a Memorandum of Agreement on joint modernisation of both the British and US Army.

Continue reading...

'Future Vertical Lift – creating closer affiliation in the development of helicopter capability'

The futures American, no more Eurocopters

Interesting identification of priorities; funny old thing, the Army is now getting rid of thousands of Afghanistan-era protected vehicles.

Interesting identification of priorities; funny old thing, the Army is now getting rid of thousands of Afghanistan-era protected vehicles.
Hopefully this is the One for the Puma, Merlin replacement.

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Whilst I hope we never become anyone's poodle I am happy with a close relationship with 5 Eyes / ABCANZ which is very much with America. My only fear is that if we appear to be allied to 'Trump's America' a new replacement to Trump-a-doodle-do may look at us and say friend of my enemy is my enemy - get to the back of the queue.

Thats always a danger in any international relationship and indeed our allies may well have looked at some of the possible alternative governments here and wondered if they were folk they could do business with.

We need MH-47G and MC-130J rather sooner...
Special CH-47 stuff has been cleared.
MC-130's? May have to go to the wall as the cupboards a bit bare and long legged Wokkas from bases, land and floaty, can do a fair bit of what was needed.

FVL?
It will be will be either the Sikorsky or Bell thingies

Last edited:
In fairness, it doesn't say 'priority' anywhere in that article, but seeing as the USARNG maintain seven units whose entire raison d'etre is to rock up to allied HQs and commit acts of digital sorcery so that the two staffs can communicate without resorting to pigeons, smoke signals and DRs, it wouldn't be an act of total lunacy to put that first.
Otherwise, it looks like an extension of the Milley-Carter agreement along other DLODs.

We need MH-47G and MC-130J rather sooner...

I would guess it will be announced post review, the MH47G that is, the MC130J announcement will be next year.

Le_addeur_noir

On ROPS
On ROPs
'Future Vertical Lift – creating closer affiliation in the development of helicopter capability'

The futures American, no more Eurocopters

Good.

Apache, Chinook, good

Tiger (Tigre), NH90 total crap.

Way to go...

Le_addeur_noir

On ROPS
On ROPs
Hopefully this is the One for the Puma, Merlin replacement.
The Merlins are just emerging from an extensive mods programme, so won't be replaced in the next 10-15 years at the earliest.

And the entire Merlin fleet are Navy toys these days.

Last edited:

TotalBanker

Old-Salt
Sorry if this is a daft question, but why are they being gotten rid of? I assume if we get shooty with someone in the future we will want protected vehicles? Link wouldn't open for me, but does this also include the mine resistant vehicles? If so, again would we not expect to be in a position where some underhanded cad buries an explosive in the road?

In_Twists

Clanker
Whilst I hope we never become anyone's poodle I am happy with a close relationship with 5 Eyes / ABCANZ which is very much with America. My only fear is that if we appear to be allied to 'Trump's America' a new replacement to Trump-a-doodle-do may look at us and say friend of my enemy is my enemy - get to the back of the queue.

Thats always a danger in any international relationship and indeed our allies may well have looked at some of the possible alternative governments here and wondered if they were folk they could do business with.
Not sure. Whilst we cant field massive forces anymore, everyone wants us on their side. France and Germany really wanted us to join in with that Euro Army nonsense and the States need a FOB close to Europe - us.

I bet there have been factions rubbing up with Labour/Lib Dems and even some other lesser movements to see if a coup might be possible but noone really wants to organise defence, they just want to get rid of it which isnt in any factions plans.

Sorry if this is a daft question, but why are they being gotten rid of? I assume if we get shooty with someone in the future we will want protected vehicles? Link wouldn't open for me, but does this also include the mine resistant vehicles? If so, again would we not expect to be in a position where some underhanded cad buries an explosive in the road?
I would have thought they would be handy if we drift into operations with the French in Mali, which could be a likely scenario. Though not one if they have got any sense.

I would guess it will be announced post review, the MH47G that is, the MC130J announcement will be next year.
I assume that the RAF will standardise on an all-Chinook SH fleet and that the Pumas will go.* I heard a rumour at one stage that DSF wanted some NH-90s.

*I would imagine that we would have no problem selling them to a variety of Latin American and African air arms.

I assume that the RAF will standardise on an all-Chinook SH fleet and that the Pumas will go.* I heard a rumour at one stage that DSF wanted some NH-90s.

*I would imagine that we would have no problem selling them to a variety of Latin American and African air arms.
One of the reasons, I stress one not the main driving force behind retaining and upgrading Puma was DSF likes them, can get into tight area’s, plus the Squadrons have a decent rep from SF, SFSG. NH-90’s were a non starter as almost every country that’s operating them is having issues and or buying MH60’s.

SF have Augusta and wildcat, the use of CV22 if required and CH47.

The 16 MH47G are not additional, they are to replace the early cabs, I dont see any need in the uplift of the Chinook fleet. Your correct about the MC130J it’s needed sooner rather than later, there might even be a work around to get them AAR for the MH47G, as Airtanker can’t refuel them.

The Merlins are just emerging from an extensive mods programme, so won't be replaced in the next 10-15 years at the earliest.

And the entire Merlin fleet are Navy toys these days.
Not enough cabs for what is required once Crowsnest come on stream.

I would have thought they would be handy if we drift into operations with the French in Mali, which could be a likely scenario. Though not one if they have got any sense.
I thought a Light Cav regt were training to deploy out there? I have LD in my head from an article I read.

Here it is;

ETA link

I thought a Light Cav regt were training to deploy out there? I have LD in my head from an article I read.

Here it is;

ETA link
The Royal Yeomanry are sending a Sqn out to Poland in, I think, September.

Latest Threads