Defence Mental Health makes the headlines again...

...for all the wrong reasons

-https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/jan/30/armed-forces-mental-health-unit-unsafe-and-wholly-unsatisfactory

If it were not so sad, I'd find it funny that the very senior (securely pensioned) retired officers moaning about mental health care in the military now-

Top guns in tears: War heroes with nowhere to turn | Daily Mail Online

-were holding the reins when this was happening.

Also, DCMH Catterick hasn't closed, though it did have to move to RAF Leeming because no one was prepared to pony up the cash to keep it in the Garrison when the old DKMH hospital building fell down-

Mental health centres shut despite wave of troop suicides | Daily Mail Online

According to the Grauniad article, Tidworth is home to hundreds of soldiers. It’s top class defence reporting like that makes it such a newspaper of record.

I am, not in any way, decrying the idea that our DCMHs are vastly overburdened, because I know they are, but stupid schoolboy errors like that can make make distrust the serious point of an article.

According to the Grauniad article, Tidworth is home to hundreds of soldiers. It’s top class defence reporting like that makes it such a newspaper of record.

I am, not in any way, decrying the idea that our DCMHs are vastly overburdened, because I know they are, but stupid schoolboy errors like that can make make distrust the serious point of an article.
You think anyone cares if it's 100s or 1000s? That's what you're going to criticise?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You think anyone cares if it's 100s or 1000s? That's what you're going to criticise?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, because that is a very likely method of distraction and denial which some people will use to cover up the dreadful strain that DCMH Tidworth are under.

“Burnout was evident in many staff members including anxiety, low mood, insomnia, withdrawal, apathy and a pervasive sense of helplessness and lack of control,”

If the MRS at Tidworth stopped referring every little clown who reports sick with these symptoms to DCMH Tidworth, then DCMH Tidworth would have less of a workload. Pte soldiers who have no responsibility other than the odd parade and sweeping the shop floor reporting sick with 'stress' and the system is so risk averse it escalates rather than investigate.

Defence Secretary Gavin Williamson said:
Every hour of every day our safety, security and way of life are protected by our courageous Armed Forces personnel. They are always there for us - often risking life and limb and making huge personal sacrifices - and we must be there for them in their own time of need.
Mental illnesses caused by life on the battlefield can have a devastating impact on our brave heroes and their families. It is our moral and professional duty to ensure that we do all we can for our world class troops.
That’s why we have commissioned the new 24/7 Military Mental Health Helpline and will spend an extra £2-million a year on mental health services for the next decade on top of the £20-million we already spend each year.
I will personally be working with all the service chiefs to make sure there isn’t a single person in the forces who doesn’t know where to turn in times of trouble.
0800 323 4444 will be targeted at serving personnel and their families – allowing them to access the help, advice and support they need anywhere, anytime.​
From Here;
Defence Secretary shows commitment to Armed Forces mental health with over £220-million funding and new helpline - GOV.UK

Latest Threads