Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Defence hotel reservation service.

They were the one in bold
The point is, when they were no longer forced to use a booking service, they didnt and they think its better.

It wasnt 32000, it was a department of the MOD, the company in total is 32000.

Strange how they not only manage just fine, but the staff think its better.
In effect she is the same as you - she has left the MoD and likes to use self booking.

I like the CHBS process, and I self book online.
I've also used the MI reporting from CHBS

In effect she is the same as you - she has left the MoD and likes to use self booking.

I like the CHBS process, and I self book online.
I've also used the MI reporting from CHBS
Indeed she is although in her case her department still does the same role for the MOD. Yet doesnt need CHBS.

Indeed she is although in her case her department still does the same role for the MOD. Yet doesnt need CHBS.
Performs the same role as a contractor, aren't employees of MoD and are no longer travelling at taxpayers expense - other than the contract service charge for the job they are doing.

Performs the same role as a contractor, aren't employees of MoD and are no longer travelling at taxpayers expense - other than the contract service charge for the job they are doing.
So how are they coping without a hotel booking service while providing the same work?

They aren't travelling under the remit of government travel policy.
They aren't accountable to government for their train, flight and hotel selection.
So its for government accountability? Not cost, because a private company would be more than able to find a cheaper solution.

So its for government accountability? Not cost, because a private company would be more than able to find a cheaper solution.
The CHBS is a private company, and its free to the MoD.

As has been said many times - the CHBS is for governance and accountability of the travel process.

The CHBS is a private company, and its free to the MoD.

As has been said many times - the CHBS is for governance and accountability of the travel process.

You are getting as bad as the Kroneit. Its not free, according to you they get their money from the hotels, the hotels get their money from the MOD.

Just because you repeat it doesnt mean its true although its a handy excuse for the contracts to be renewed.

Do any other allowances that the army pay out, need a a third party to monitor them?

How did Cpl Urbina manage to bluff flights for her, her husband and sister to various destinations around the world for 17 months with the all powerful governance of the booking service?

What governance model does the company use? I would imagine one appropriate for it's staff and shareholders.

Relevant to what?

CHBS was useful when I was stuck abroad, late at night due to an incorrect booking. The use of CHBS also meant that I didn't have to cover the cost of not using the room. That can only be a positive. If you see it as a negative drink less turps.

What governance model does the Army use for the rest of its expenses?

It relevant because it shows some people despite boasting about how sort after their trade is in civvie street cling to the comfort blanket of the army when they come to the end of their 22/24 years.

You needed a special helpline to a civvie company because of an incorrect booking. Do you get someone to wipe your arse for you as well?
The CHBS exists because some spastics cant cope with having to pay for an extra room for a night until he can put their claims in? These same spastics that are deemed capable of paying for a hotel plus food for a month if the Army say it necessary?

How did Cpl Urbina manage to bluff flights for her, her husband and sister to various destinations around the world for 17 months with the all powerful governance of the booking service?

:D :D :D

Over a period of 17 months, fraudulent Cpl Urbina booked dozens of flights for her close family and friends to go on 'jollies and holidays' to destinations including Cancun, New York, Belize, Miami and Frankfurt.

The married mother-of-two also booked trips while on maternity leave and on one occasion arranged for £263 to be paid on top of a flight for an extra 10kg in luggage.

Brilliant

I think someone needs to wind their neck in.

You are getting as bad as the Kroneit. Its not free, according to you they get their money from the hotels, the hotels get their money from the MOD.
The CHBS hotel service is free to the MoD
Their commission is part of the hotel price
Booking.com also get their commission as part of the hotel price
In both cases the person paying is the person who ultimately pays for the service - but there is no extra contract charge for using the CHBS website
Just because you repeat it doesnt mean its true although its a handy excuse for the contracts to be renewed.

Do any other allowances that the army pay out, need a a third party to monitor them?
The CHBS doesn’t monitor, but it does provide the MI
Fraudulently.
But she was caught under the governance via the reporting

Note that I did once use CHBS for private use to make a booking for my parents
It was due to an impending death and they needed to get up the country to Orkney ASAP
I sorted out travel but they needed a stop off, I was struggling to get a convenient locations near enough to trains, and airports.
I decided to ring the CHBS and explained that I wasn’t after a booking but just some help in giving me pointers.
Instead they were happy to find, book and send me the itinerary.
No cost to MoD (but they will have had a mixture of doing a good deed and also getting their cut of the commission)
It will have come out on the MI, but no claim made and my father paid at each hotel

Whereas Urbina deliberately defrauded the MoD booking flights charged to the MoDs GPCs
She’s a deviation to the topic as this has been about hotels on CHBS vs booking.com where the individual pays and claims

The CHBS hotel service is free to the MoD
Their commission is part of the hotel price
Booking.com also get their commission as part of the hotel price
In both cases the person paying is the person who ultimately pays for the service - but there is no extra contract charge for using the CHBS website

The CHBS doesn’t monitor, but it does provide the MI

Fraudulently.
But she was caught under the governance via the reporting

Thats like saying ebay is free, it just takes a commission...
Booking.com is a multi billion pound company that is fighting for people business, HRS can do what they like, they have the contract.
Let me give you another example of their great service, when I was deployed to Naples I was going to use them. I cant remember the quote for the only hotel available. I didnt use them because in the event the British military just block booked a hotel that wasnt on their books. When I got there, I went to the hotel that I was originally going to book because I had had some friends who were coming over to visit. the walk in price was the same as the CHBS, however there was a big sign up saying 10% of for all military and NATO personnel. It wouldnt have matter if I had stayed there, because the taxpayer would be paying for this "free" service.
If you were on a % commission would you find the cheapest or more expensive option for your clients?

Ok let me rephrase, why does this one expense need a third party to provide anything?

Urbina was caught after 17 months, I think she was charged on 14 counts of fraud. I would have thought there would have been at least one major check in a yearly period. Maybe if she had not done the last couple she might have got away with it. It says on the Daily Mail site that she was using Hogg Robinson.
This is a quote from the prosecutor
When Cpl Urbina booked flights and rail for her immediate family through Hogg Robinson Group she asked that the confirmation was sent to her personal email address rather than the MoD

One time I could accept, maybe a blag about the her military email being down but at least 14 times in at least a 17 months period? Great governance there.

Moving on to your father, I find it hard to believe that CHBS could give you a better option than you typing the location and the words hotel/B&B into google, particularly as you said before that they dont have every hotel on their list but you have an option to add it.

Thats like saying ebay is free, it just takes a commission...
Booking.com is a multi billion pound company that is fighting for people business, HRS can do what they like, they have the contract.
CHBS also don’t just offer up an option, they list search results and you are required to select the cheapest - or enter details as to why cheaper options were unsuitable
(Note - when I compared CHBS and booking.com the cheapest options were CHBS for travelodge & Premiere Inn. The cheapest common option was the 25p more expensive hotel. CHBS was cheaper than booking.com options)
If you were on a % commission would you find the cheapest or more expensive option for your clients?

Ok let me rephrase, why does this one expense need a third party to provide anything?
One expense doesn’t necessarily need a third party.
But the MI and other requirements in this case are available for no extra expense via a third party. Take CHBS out of the loop and those requirements are lost or we employ someone to do them at a cost

It says on the Daily Mail site that she was using Hogg Robinson.
This is a quote from the prosecutor
When Cpl Urbina booked flights and rail for her immediate family through Hogg Robinson Group she asked that the confirmation was sent to her personal email address rather than the MoD

One time I could accept, maybe a blag about the her military email being down but at least 14 times in at least a 17 months period? Great governance there.
That quote about her personal email address was discussed previously on Arrse. I think it was discussed as to whether she had asked for her personal address to be used or for her official address to not be used. Official addresses are personal as well, so she could easily delete that ‘evidence’
I have added my personal email address to CHBS.
It’s not unreasonable, as I may be out when making bookings (I have been) and it saves me printing or forwarding

The governance in house does not require emails to check, and the MI from CHBS and budgetary spend are subject to management checks. Ultimately they were picked up, we don’t know if there were failures to check at all in the meantime

Moving on to your father, I find it hard to believe that CHBS could give you a better option than you typing the location and the words hotel/B&B into google, particularly as you said before that they dont have every hotel on their list but you have an option to add it.
I could have found somewhere myself, and was just referencing that I had used CHBS for personal use - which I shouldn’t really have done, and it differed between me and her with the type of use and fraud / non fraud
I wasn’t actually after accommodation in a location, but ‘somewhere between A and B’ which would get them a sleep break without travelling too far but also a reasonably short morning stint to the airport.

What governance model does the Army use for the rest of its expenses?
The unit CoC, UAO, Adjt etc.

It relevant because it shows some people despite boasting about how sort after their trade is in civvie street cling to the comfort blanket of the army when they come to the end of their 22/24 years.
I've don't believe that I've boasted, though I am confident of my employability, or at least was pre-COVID.

You needed a special helpline to a civvie company because of an incorrect booking. Do you get someone to wipe your arse for you as well?
Nothing special about the CHBS hotline. The bonus was that it potentially saved me money.

The CHBS exists because some spastics cant cope with having to pay for an extra room for a night until he can put their claims in? These same spastics that are deemed capable of paying for a hotel plus food for a month if the Army say it necessary?
That's the sole reason it exists? Of course it is treacle.

CHBS also don’t just offer up an option, they list search results and you are required to select the cheapest - or enter details as to why cheaper options were unsuitable
(Note - when I compared CHBS and booking.com the cheapest options were CHBS for travelodge & Premiere Inn. The cheapest common option was the 25p more expensive hotel. CHBS was cheaper than booking.com options)

One expense doesn’t necessarily need a third party.
But the MI and other requirements in this case are available for no extra expense via a third party. Take CHBS out of the loop and those requirements are lost or we employ someone to do them at a cost

That quote about her personal email address was discussed previously on Arrse. I think it was discussed as to whether she had asked for her personal address to be used or for her official address to not be used. Official addresses are personal as well, so she could easily delete that ‘evidence’
I have added my personal email address to CHBS.
It’s not unreasonable, as I may be out when making bookings (I have been) and it saves me printing or forwarding

The governance in house does not require emails to check, and the MI from CHBS and budgetary spend are subject to management checks. Ultimately they were picked up, we don’t know if there were failures to check at all in the meantime

I could have found somewhere myself, and was just referencing that I had used CHBS for personal use - which I shouldn’t really have done, and it differed between me and her with the type of use and fraud / non fraud
I wasn’t actually after accommodation in a location, but ‘somewhere between A and B’ which would get them a sleep break without travelling too far but also a reasonably short morning stint to the airport.

CHBS only have limited options, you can test this yourself by going on the CHBS site and choosing a random town, then going on the Booking.com site (or other hotel sites) and typing in the same town.
You said earlier that you can add a hotel if you can justify it. Its then up to the individual to search for a better hotel on the internet, before going back to CHBS? Great use of time there...

I notice you didnt answer the question. If you were on a % commission would you find the cheapest or more expensive option for your clients? Why would the CHBS not want to make money? You said it was a "free" service, its got to claw back its cash somehow.

How does the Army monitor who is on leave, exercise or at meetings (without hotel use) without the aid of a third party?

Urbina was committing fraud for 17 months, there must have been at least one yearly audit. Her destinations alone should have raised some eyebrows, but apparently not.
The judge is quoted as saying The system was open to abuse and it appears there were totally inadequate checks, which allowed you to go undetected for so long

This governance thing? Doesn't appear to exist does it? Sounds good though, until people point out how it doesnt really exist and fulls screws can send their family to Cancun.

This reminds me years ago when soldiers use to complain about being taxed while deployed (Some other countries dont tax them). Brigadier I/C Paperclips, was regularly wheeled out usually via the Soldier magazine to say how it would be impossible due to tax law, treasury rules, other implications, then one day we got the tax free allowance for deploying and its works fine.
In a similar manner, the growing of beards is prohibited by all manner of **** excuses despite overwhelming evidence it doesnt really affect anything. One day the rule will change and everyone will think what the **** took so long.
Its possible one day that the MOD might let its staff book their own hotels and wonder why the change took so long.

The unit CoC, UAO, Adjt etc.

I've don't believe that I've boasted, though I am confident of my employability, or at least was pre-COVID.

Nothing special about the CHBS hotline. The bonus was that it potentially saved me money.

That's the sole reason it exists? Of course it is treacle.

Then the CoC can check hotel claims or is that beyond them?

Im sure you justified being on the biff for over a decade because your job was so sort after in civvie street, you were actually doing the Army a favour by staying in.
Until it was time to go and you realised you need to stand on your own two feet in civvie street.

It didnt save you money, you would have got all your money back. You dont seem to have grasped the concept that its your employer who pays the bill eventually, even if they **** up.

Im sure its not the sole reason given but its certainly a major reason for you.

CHBS only have limited options, you can test this yourself by going on the CHBS site and choosing a random town, then going on the Booking.com site (or other hotel sites) and typing in the same town.
You said earlier that you can add a hotel if you can justify it. Its then up to the individual to search for a better hotel on the internet, before going back to CHBS? Great use of time there...

I notice you didnt answer the question. If you were on a % commission would you find the cheapest or more expensive option for your clients? Why would the CHBS not want to make money? You said it was a "free" service, its got to claw back its cash somehow.

How does the Army monitor who is on leave, exercise or at meetings (without hotel use) without the aid of a third party?

Urbina was committing fraud for 17 months, there must have been at least one yearly audit. Her destinations alone should have raised some eyebrows, but apparently not.
The judge is quoted as saying The system was open to abuse and it appears there were totally inadequate checks, which allowed you to go undetected for so long

This governance thing? Doesn't appear to exist does it? Sounds good though, until people point out how it doesnt really exist and fulls screws can send their family to Cancun.

This reminds me years ago when soldiers use to complain about being taxed while deployed (Some other countries dont tax them). Brigadier I/C Paperclips, was regularly wheeled out usually via the Soldier magazine to say how it would be impossible due to tax law, treasury rules, other implications, then one day we got the tax free allowance for deploying and its works fine.
In a similar manner, the growing of beards is prohibited by all manner of **** excuses despite overwhelming evidence it doesnt really affect anything. One day the rule will change and everyone will think what the **** took so long.
Its possible one day that the MOD might let its staff book their own hotels and wonder why the change took so long.
There's a few flaws with what you've written. I've never had a problem using the online version of CHBS, most people don't and everything is in place for the individual to book hotels not listed or out of cap.

Does CHBS work on percentage commission or some other mechanism? Either way they had to show VFM before going to contract. So however it works it has been deemed acceptable.

Judges are not experts on governance systems, and any system that involves human integrity is open to misuse especially from an insider threat. Something somewhere in the system must have flagged an issue, hence she got caught.

As for Op allowance, a tax free lump sum is not the same as not being taxed for the deployed period.

Finally MOD Staff can and do book their own hotels, they a mandated to use CHBS to do it though with a good enough justification they don't have to.

There's a few flaws with what you've written. I've never had a problem using the online version of CHBS, most people don't and everything is in place for the individual to book hotels not listed or out of cap.

Does CHBS work on percentage commission or some other mechanism? Either way they had to show VFM before going to contract. So however it works it has been deemed acceptable.

Judges are not experts on governance systems, and any system that involves human integrity is open to misuse especially from an insider threat. Something somewhere in the system must have flagged an issue, hence she got caught.

As for Op allowance, a tax free lump sum is not the same as not being taxed for the deployed period.

Finally MOD Staff can and do book their own hotels, they a mandated to use CHBS to do it though with a good enough justification they don't have to.

Whats in place for them booking a hotel not listed? oh right they have to look up the hotels themselves.

What other mechanism? Its "free" remember.
Have to show VFM? Did you join the Army yesterday? Just as Carillon, PAYD companies etc do?
The MOD thinks a lot of things are acceptable, that why the armed forces are in shit state.
I reckon HRS said something along the lines of "hey MOD, our service isfFree, you wont get cheaper than that and all the gullible mugs in the MOD who are responsible for signing shit contracts thought they were getting a bargain. Clearly you didnt read other people comments on this thread.

What a shit defence of the governance of CHBS, she did get caught after 17 months and repeatedly abusing the system, round of applause for such quick reactions :roll:

The tax free lump sum could have been done well before it was implemented though, but no it couldnt possibly work because there were plenty of **** excuse why it couldnt.

Is a good enough reason, its easier and possibly cheaper to book their own?

Latest Threads