Army Rumour Service

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Defence hotel reservation service.

I don't know but I doubt it would be him. Probably the taxpayer.
You don’t know? So probably him unless he had access to a GPC card, which I doubt very much. Noting that it’s currently the tax payer meaning that I don’t automatically lose out. Another nail in “let the lads sort themselves out” coffin.

Last edited:
You don’t know? So probably him unless he had access to a GPC card, which I doubt very much. Noting that it’s currently the tax payer meaning that I don’t automatically lose out. Another nail in “let the lads sort themselves out” coffin.

Thats not the way it has ever worked is it? You really are insulated from reality arent you?

If I book a hotel now (working for NATO) after getting authorization and I have to pay up front (and generally you dont until the last couple of days before the booking), then NATO switch the location of the event (or cancel it), do you really think its me that loses out? Seriously, what is wrong with you? Do you have an concept on how to survive by yourself without the Army there to hold your hand?

But to go onto point three, if the something changes at the last minute its far easier for an individual to sort out his own accommodation problems rather than phone a civvie number, wait for them to deal with other peoplex then hunt around for a solution.
There’s no need to phone anyone unless it’s an unusual problem that is dealt with via a person
If you need a room at short notice just go onto the website.

I don't know but I doubt it would be him. Probably the taxpayer.
If you self book with booking.com any no shows are charged your card.
No show via the CHBS and it gets charged to the MoDs GPC that was used to secure the booking

If you don’t turn up due to having your plans changed by the Army then you ultimately won’t lose out.
Private bookings can be cancelled unless there is no cancellation on the specific booking.
CHBS bookings carry cancellation, so if you cancel then the taxpayer doesn’t pay. If you just don’t turn up for whatever reason then the taxpayer pays for a no show, and it comes out on the MI

As for my mate, I'm sure there was all those questions but when faced with staying in shitty run down barracks or staying in a hotel, he did all the leg work. Its amazing isn't it? A SNCO managed to sort out 3 hotels over 3 weeks for multiple people. Clearly not a spastic like some people in the Army who can't cope.
then.
If there was no suitable accommodation available they should have been provided with a non availability certificate which was then the authority to obtain hotel accommodation, and he should have used the CHBS as the mandated route.
If he’s made his own bookings and paid himself then I presume he claimed money back, unless it was from the goodness of his heart.
He would have made a travel claim, or walked into the RAO for cash etc from the imprest.
He could be a GPC holder and it wouldn’t be the first time that a QM or unit GPC gets used for random purposes rather than stated purposes.
Unless it was pre-CHBS or an immediate emergency then he’s bucked the system.
If it was just because he didn’t like old barrack accommodation then he’s incurred taxpayers expense when somethings available.

If there was no suitable accommodation available they should have been provided with a non availability certificate which was then the authority to obtain hotel accommodation, and he should have used the CHBS as the mandated route.
If he’s made his own bookings and paid himself then I presume he claimed money back, unless it was from the goodness of his heart.
He would have made a travel claim, or walked into the RAO for cash etc from the imprest.
He could be a GPC holder and it wouldn’t be the first time that a QM or unit GPC gets used for random purposes rather than stated purposes.
If it was just because he didn’t like old barrack accommodation then he’s incurred taxpayers expense when somethings available.
Made a nice biased dit though

Before I logged off I had a proper look at today’s announcement on a new option for bulk bookings, which also took me to the main travel pages and latest info, FAQs etc

(For MoDnet users you can see the announcement on the home page, or search GBT)

Most pages there have been updated in August.

There are a series of points listed for “Why is it mandated?” and they include items such as:

Best VFM
Ensures MoD business travel policy is adhered to
Provides MI —— including cabinet office reporting
Lowest rates in industry
MoDs duty of care - storms, incidents etc (Therefore confirms the MI is used to identify if MoD staff have booked travel in an area)

The FAQs highlight how to get price matching if there is a lower like for like rate elsewhere, and how to add missing hotels

eg In the example where CHBS was 25p more expensive it probably wasn’t like for like due to cancellation policy etc

Breakfast is now not included unless indicated, which confirms that the £55.25 price I had was equivalent to the booking.com £55 price. But they had no cancellation protection

Previously the default was that breakfast was included unless otherwise indicated, whereas it is only included if listed. This has either changed since I last booked a hotel for work, or it was listed among my choices

No show via the CHBS and it gets charged to the MoDs GPC that was used to secure the booking

If you don’t turn up due to having your plans changed by the Army then you ultimately won’t lose out.
Private bookings can be cancelled unless there is no cancellation on the specific booking.
CHBS bookings carry cancellation, so if you cancel then the taxpayer doesn’t pay. If you just don’t turn up for whatever reason then the taxpayer pays for a no show, and it comes out on the MI
If you don’t turn up ie don’t cancel in good time CHBS is billed and that cost is passed to the UIN identified in the booking. If your justification isn’t strong enough the unit will extract the cash from your pay. But at least the money is in your account not theirs. Following your proposal you’re on the back foot throughout.

There’s no need to phone anyone unless it’s an unusual problem that is dealt with via a person
If you need a room at short notice just go onto the website.
Or just book another room/hotel yourself

Let's put it this way, when it came around a second time everyone was crammed into shitty transit accommodation.
I think you said you were a civvie earlier, so for your information the Army would put its soldiers in a shell scrape if it thought it would save money.

I know what he should have done, but if he tried he probably would have been fucked off. I dont think it was our regiment that paid, Im sure it was the one they were supporting.

This was 2016 or 2017

Of course he bucked the system, but the point was he managed to book 3 hotels over 3 weeks for multiple people without the need for CHBS.

Certainly would encourage people to sort their ******* admin out if they were responsible (and didnt cancel when they should).

Let's put it this way, when it came around a second time everyone was crammed into shitty transit accommodation.
I think you said you were a civvie earlier, so for your information the Army would put its soldiers in a shell scrape if it thought it would save money.

I know what he should have done, but if he tried he probably would have been fucked off. I dont think it was our regiment that paid, Im sure it was the one they were supporting.

This was 2016 or 2017

Of course he bucked the system, but the point was he managed to book 3 hotels over 3 weeks for multiple people without the need for CHBS.
What exercise are you talking about?

Before I logged off I had a proper look at today’s announcement on a new option for bulk bookings, which also took me to the main travel pages and latest info, FAQs etc

(For MoDnet users you can see the announcement on the home page, or search GBT)

Most pages there have been updated in August.

There are a series of points listed for “Why is it mandated?” and they include items such as:

Best VFM
Ensures MoD business travel policy is adhered to
Provides MI —— including cabinet office reporting
Lowest rates in industry
MoDs duty of care - storms, incidents etc (Therefore confirms the MI is used to identify if MoD staff have booked travel in an area)

The FAQs highlight how to get price matching if there is a lower like for like rate elsewhere, and how to add missing hotels

eg In the example where CHBS was 25p more expensive it probably wasn’t like for like due to cancellation policy etc

Breakfast is now not included unless indicated, which confirms that the £55.25 price I had was equivalent to the booking.com £55 price. But they had no cancellation protection

Previously the default was that breakfast was included unless otherwise indicated, whereas it is only included if listed. This has either changed since I last booked a hotel for work, or it was listed among my choices

Im glad you were honest enough about the breakfast, I thought it was suspiciously cheap.

But to take your points.

Best VFM I would very much like to know what metric they use, if they offer the cheapest rooms why arent they like booking.com and doing it for the whole world? Or are its VFM because its easier to fool gullible people like Kroneit because they are "free"?

Ensures MoD business travel policy is adhered to, Travel isnt the same as hotels, however the policy can be adapted to whatever the MOD want it to be, the only thing I can think of that the CHBS could do is prevent first class travel when its supposed to be standard. However other firms do that by not paying out (or part paying) if you bluff a first class ticket.
How exactly did Audrey Urbina get away with it for so long?

Lowest rates in industry As I said for VFM, who is saying this? By what measurement? If they have the power to get cheap rooms for the MOD why arent they doing it for the other 66 million people in the country? They would make a mint.

MoDs duty of care - storms, incidents etc (Therefore confirms the MI is used to identify if MoD staff have booked travel in an area) I gave numerous examples earlier why it would be ******* stupid for the MOD to trust a civvie travel/hotel firm to say where its personnel are. However that once again covers travel not hotels.

...and if they weren't responsible the money is still out of their pocket. Where's the duty of care in that?

**** me you are hard work. How do you think I manage. Go on, have guess what happens if I book a hotel and then due to reasons that Im not responsible for, the trip is canceled (or changed).

Its really is strange looking at how some people in the Army just can not cope with every day life.

What exercise are you talking about?

I have no idea, Im not in the Army any more. A pretty cushy one judging by the photos of them all in and around the hotel hot-tub/ jacuzzi up on the sqn wall.

**** me you are hard work. How do you think I manage. Go on, have guess what happens if I book a hotel and then due to reasons that Im not responsible for, the trip is canceled (or changed).

Its really is strange looking at how some people in the Army just can not cope with every day life.
More power to you if you're happy to be down money that you don't deserve to.

More power to you if you're happy to be down money that you don't deserve to.

Institutionalised = Kroneit

I wont be down anything. Has some nasty officer in the past told you to accept losses that were not your fault?

Latest Threads