Army Rumour Service

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Defence hotel reservation service.

Why do you keep lying and say people have to book their own travel? Who has said that?
So as well as making yourself look like a bellend because you thought the Navy couldn't book a hotel.
Perhaps I'm just struggling with the idea of using CHBS to book flights and then a different app for hotels. When did I say that RN, an organisation of 30,000 people, can't book a hotel?

Does CHBS pay for the hotel or are people expected to have their own credit/debit card?
CHBS cover the reservation with their credit card details which can in extremis be used to pay for the room. Otherwise the guest pays. What is this relevant to?

Once again you made yourself look like a penis, well done.
Yes

Perhaps I'm just struggling with the idea of using CHBS to book flights and then a different app for hotels. When did I say that RN, an organisation of 30,000 people, can't book a hotel?

Once again the class spastic seems to not understand that A, other organisation manage to do just fine and B, there are numerous occasions where you dont need to book flights just because you book a hotel. You really are broken brained.
You seemed to think the people at sea couldnt book a hotel, then was on the reversocycle when you realised what a cock that you looked

CHBS cover the reservation with their credit card details which can in extremis be used to pay for the room. Otherwise the guest pays. What is this relevant to?
Do soldiers generally pay for their own hotels through the CHBS scheme? Yes or no? So your comment about debit/credit cards once again reveals what a twat you really are.

And again.

You have a catalogue of shit excuses for resisting change dont you?

Do soldiers generally pay for their own hotels through the CHBS scheme? Yes or no? So your comment about debit/credit cards once again reveals what a twat you really are.
At the time of booking a credit cards details is given to secure the booking, and if there is a no show this gets charged.
Individuals pay themselves and claim later, or they can claim for an advance and close off the balance later.

With online bookings etc they want the card details beforehand - some bookings take prepayment, some don't charge until you are there (or fail to turn up)

With CHBS they secure the room with a card, you pay when there however you like.

With booking.com etc you need to provide a card. Fine for 99% of people who have a card.

If you scrap CHBS but someone else makes a booking on behalf of others, such as a a regimental clerk then they need cards. That means bringing in the governance of what the cards can be used for.
Within that governance comes a UIN & RAC tagged to the card. If they are making payments to different UINs then they need a card per UIN, or enough spare cards to allow a UIN to be set until the statement total is charged that month, then it can be reused for a different UIN.
We could stick to people paying & claiming in which case we can have one card on the unit UIN or a central UIN, then it can be charged if there is a no show.
Every GPC holder also has a GPC manager/mentor. These advise and audit the GPC holder, and protect them from Line Managers. Line Managers are not permitted to have influence over the GPC use. I have been a GPC holder and managed a team of GPC holders.
The GPC mangers oversight of GPC holders included a 100% audit of all transactions on the statements, their log records and the market testing of quotes etc.

If we just scrap CHBS for hotel bookings then we need to cover for those who are unable (or unwilling) to self book. If this is a central service to also cover bulk bookings etc then we now have new jobs in the MoD with the need to pay salaries, and provide enough shifts for 24 hour cover.
Alternatively we can use a free service via the CHBS, paid for in the hotel commission that we would still be paying via booking.com etc for less of a service

At the time of booking a credit cards details is given to secure the booking, and if there is a no show this gets charged.
Individuals pay themselves and claim later, or they can claim for an advance and close off the balance later.

With online bookings etc they want the card details beforehand - some bookings take prepayment, some don't charge until you are there (or fail to turn up)

With CHBS they secure the room with a card, you pay when there however you like.

With booking.com etc you need to provide a card. Fine for 99% of people who have a card.

If you scrap CHBS but someone else makes a booking on behalf of others, such as a a regimental clerk then they need cards. That means bringing in the governance of what the cards can be used for.
Within that governance comes a UIN & RAC tagged to the card. If they are making payments to different UINs then they need a card per UIN, or enough spare cards to allow a UIN to be set until the statement total is charged that month, then it can be reused for a different UIN.
We could stick to people paying & claiming in which case we can have one card on the unit UIN or a central UIN, then it can be charged if there is a no show.
Every GPC holder also has a GPC manager/mentor. These advise and audit the GPC holder, and protect them from Line Managers. Line Managers are not permitted to have influence over the GPC use. I have been a GPC holder and managed a team of GPC holders.
The GPC mangers oversight of GPC holders included a 100% audit of all transactions on the statements, their log records and the market testing of quotes etc.

If we just scrap CHBS for hotel bookings then we need to cover for those who are unable (or unwilling) to self book. If this is a central service to also cover bulk bookings etc then we now have new jobs in the MoD with the need to pay salaries, and provide enough shifts for 24 hour cover.
Alternatively we can use a free service via the CHBS, paid for in the hotel commission that we would still be paying via booking.com etc for less of a service
Thats great but just to confirm, Kroneit was just using yet another bullshit excuse about the poor little soldiers not having debit/credit cards?
Seeing as they are expect to pay for the ******* hotel anyway?

Thats great but just to confirm, Kroneit was just using yet another bullshit excuse about the poor little soldiers not having debit/credit cards?
Seeing as they are expect to pay for the ******* hotel anyway?
You've been given multiple sound explanations of why MOD needs a centralised travel booking service and you haven't countered a single one of them beyond called me a spastic tw@t, which whilst probably true is a pretty weak argument for getting rid a system that is generally free and works. All this based on your supposition that some soldiers you knew couldn't book the hotels they wanted.

I'm not sighted on how widespread the use of CHBS pan government, but if the main income source (hotel bookings) is removed, why would the current incumbent continue to provide the service?

You've been given multiple sound explanations of why MOD needs a centralised travel booking service and you haven't countered a single one of them beyond called me a spastic tw@t, which whilst probably true is a pretty weak argument for getting rid a system that is generally free and works. All this based on your supposition that some soldiers you knew couldn't book the hotels they wanted.
No I have now. You have come out with some frankly cringworthy shite, including soldiers are to much of spastics to book their own hotels, there will be a problem with debit/credit cards , people at sea couldn't book a hotel and a reluctance to discipline soldiers if they don't do as they are told.

You further compound all this with yet another spastic comment. That it is all free, someone has to pay for it and thats generally the tax payer. If HRS are taking a cut the hotels are recouping it.

I'm not sighted on how widespread the use of CHBS pan government, but if the main income source (hotel bookings) is removed, why would the current incumbent continue to provide the service?
I know that it’s an MoD contract and that the FCO also use it.
I’m not aware of any other government departments using it

For hotels there is a commission in the hotel price, so self service CHBS and direct booking.com are both paid for in commission from the hotel.

For rail tickets, I recall that the split ticket guidance tells you not to use split tickets if the saving is below a particular level as there is a charge per ticket. (Not a percentage but a fixed charge).

For air tickets I don’t know.

If you speak to a person in the CHBS to make bookings I understand there is an additional charge

That it is all free, someone has to pay for it and thats generally the tax payer. If HRS are taking a cut the hotels are recouping it.
The CHBS hotel booking service via the website is free, just as the booking.com website service is free.
They are both paid for as a commission - we as a traveller and the taxpayer pay the price shown and no extra.
You could in theory call the hotel directly and ask for a cheaper price as they won’t be paying a commission, but the hotel receptionist will then be doing the work. So the hotel won’t want to give up that part of their margin

The centre might be reading this thread. There’s an announcement about changes to bulk bookings via the CHBS from October.

The CHBS service is therefore improving from feedback - either users had given feedback or this thread is being read and acted upon

The centre might be reading this thread. There’s an announcement about changes to bulk bookings via the CHBS from October.

The CHBS service is therefore improving from feedback - either users had given feedback or this thread is being read and acted upon
Where do I send my bill?

The CHBS hotel booking service via the website is free, just as the booking.com website service is free.
They are both paid for as a commission - we as a traveller and the taxpayer pay the price shown and no extra.
You could in theory call the hotel directly and ask for a cheaper price as they won’t be paying a commission, but the hotel receptionist will then be doing the work. So the hotel won’t want to give up that part of their margin

The point is they aren't free, their money is coming from somewhere. And that somewhere is the taxpayer. Bigger companies who don't have a an exclusive contract will probably be better value.

I had a mate who booked 3 hotels over 3 weeks (one hotel a week) for multiple occupants for a exercise. A pretty decent blag.
He dealt directly with the hotels and got a a hefty discount.
Now, he didn't do it for money saving reasons, he did it because he didn't want to stay in shitty run down barracks. But he still managed to do it. Clearly he didn't join the spastic part of the army that Kroneit is in.

The point is they aren't free, their money is coming from somewhere. And that somewhere is the taxpayer. Bigger companies who don't have a an exclusive contract will probably be better value.
The money comes from the hotels profit margin. How is this the taxpayer, beyond the fact that the treasury is refunding the claim?
I had a mate who booked 3 hotels over 3 weeks (one hotel a week) for multiple occupants for a exercise. A pretty decent blag.
He dealt directly with the hotels and got a a hefty discount.
Now, he didn't do it for money saving reasons, he did it because he didn't want to stay in shitty run down barracks. But he still managed to do it. Clearly he didn't join the spastic part of the army that Kroneit is in.
There's a whole load of PESTLE questions that need answering before this example is valid. In or out of season? Was the hotel on a central booking service list? How big was the hotel(s)? How many people were staying? Where was the hotel(s)? When did this happen? Did he pay everything up front? What price the discount against? How many hotels told him to rod off?

The biggest issue is that this is your example to support your point and is therefore biased not balanced. Also your example doesn't negate any of the use cases given or deliver against MOD information requirements. Well done for pointing out that if you shop around you can save money.

The money comes from the hotels profit margin. How is this the taxpayer, beyond the fact that the treasury is refunding the claim?

There's a whole load of PESTLE questions that need answering before this example is valid. In or out of season? Was the hotel on a central booking service list? How big was the hotel(s)? How many people were staying? Where was the hotel(s)? When did this happen? Did he pay everything up front? What price the discount against? How many hotels told him to rod off?

The biggest issue is that this is your example to support your point and is therefore biased not balanced. Also your example doesn't negate any of the use cases given or deliver against MOD information requirements. Well done for pointing out that if you shop around you can save money.
The hotel profit margins? You mean they add on a finders fee? Like insurance companies do?

As for my mate, I'm sure there was all those questions but when faced with staying in shitty run down barracks or staying in a hotel, he did all the leg work. Its amazing isn't it? A SNCO managed to sort out 3 hotels over 3 weeks for multiple people. Clearly not a spastic like some people in the Army who can't cope.

I'm glad you agree by widening the search criteria the military could save money. So no need for the CHBS then.

You further compound all this with yet another spastic comment. That it is all free, someone has to pay for it and thats generally the tax payer. If HRS are taking a cut the hotels are recouping it.
Instead of concerning yourself with the profit margin, look at the differences in profit margin between CHBS, another central booking service and going direct. Then for some very good reasons (primarily the GPC info detailed by @tommikka) get rid of going direct and you're left with the two flavours of central booking service which a very similar in cost. That leaves me to believe that the taxpayer is not being rimmed by either service.

As for my mate, I'm sure there was all those questions but when faced with staying in shitty run down barracks or staying in a hotel, he did all the leg work. Its amazing isn't it? A SNCO managed to sort out 3 hotels over 3 weeks for multiple people. Clearly not a spastic like some people in the Army who can't cope.
1. Glad an SNCO had the time and knowledge to do the legwork, I wouldn't have a clue on first staying in a country.
2. I'd like to see him do that when plugging around the Arctic in a Vanguard-class submarine.
3. And I'd really like to see what would have happened if the exercise changed locations on the day.

1. Glad an SNCO had the time and knowledge to do the legwork, I wouldn't have a clue on first staying in a country.
2. I'd like to see him do that when plugging around the Arctic in a Vanguard-class submarine.
3. And I'd really like to see what would have happened if the exercise changed locations on the day.
It was in the UK, I'm sure even you would manage that.
But to go onto point three, if the something changes at the last minute its far easier for an individual to sort out his own accommodation problems rather than phone a civvie number, wait for them to deal with other peoplex then hunt around for a solution.
Whenever I see something major happening at airports (a crash/terrorist attack/weather) you always see the smart people book into a hotel and all the spastics standing around thinking that a massive snow storm is going to finish in 5 minutes, they are generally the people sleeping on the airport floors.

Instead of concerning yourself with the profit margin, look at the differences in profit margin between CHBS, another central booking service and going direct. Then for some very good reasons (primarily the GPC info detailed by @tommikka) get rid of going direct and you're left with the two flavours of central booking service which a very similar in cost. That leaves me to believe that the taxpayer is not being rimmed by either service.
Except for the examples I gave earlier. And also other people earlier in the thread. Do you think HRS give a toss?
If they are on a percentage its even better for them to find a higher price.

But to go onto point three, if the something changes at the last minute its far easier for an individual to sort out his own accommodation problems rather than phone a civvie number, wait for them to deal with other peoplex then hunt around for a solution.
personally I'd be dripping like a f@cked tap about the deposits I'd lost.

personally I'd be dripping like a f@cked tap about the deposits I'd lost.
Yet amazing people overcome these problems? Weird huh? Almost as if not everyone is a spastic.

Latest Threads